FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#394601 - 05/09/08 11:46 PM seeking info
two_snakes Offline
Stranger

I have just started a karate class with an organisation that teaches Okinawa te Karate. It is affilated with Okinawa te Karate Organisation run out of California by Shihan Gordon Doversola.

I was wondering if anyone had every heard of this style and/or trained under it.

Seeking any information about how you found it?? They have a website btw www.okinawate.co.nz

#394602 - 05/10/08 11:41 AM Re: seeking info [Re: two_snakes]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
Never heard of it but that doesn't mean anything. Is it good? There are a lot of merger styles out there, including what I myself do. A traditional name style doesn't guarantee good instruction nor does a new merger mean it isn't good.

#394603 - 05/10/08 09:03 PM Re: seeking info [Re: underdog]
two_snakes Offline
Stranger

Yeh it seems quite well rounded at the moment. Seems to incorporate chinese southern crane kung fu and okinawan karate. It has been around a while 30+ years in New Zeland and USA so....

#394604 - 05/11/08 01:16 PM Re: seeking info [Re: two_snakes]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

http://www.ntsworld.com/okinawa-te/shihan_doversola.html

I'm not a karate person, but wasn't too sure about the website you posted.Seemed a bit sketchy on the lineage and finer points of what they were acutally taught and are actually teaching. There was a similar post on the Judo/Ju Jutsu forum here recently, where the history behind the supposed "Ju Jitsu" being taught was rather vague to say the least!

Regarding Mr Doversola and his training, it seems hard to verify what he has said. According to the above bio, he was taught by an Okinawan Master who was a recluse. The master's name was Teiken Nagusko.

Now I googled Teiken Nagusko, and he doesn't appear anywhere else on the internet save Mr Doversola's bio.

How he met the Nagusko reads like something out of a bad martial arts film as well. I wasn't there, so it could very well be true. Stranger things have happened!

Whether or not Mr Doversola is a practioner of legit Okinawan arts, well, I can't say. The important thing is that if you enjoy what you are being taught then stick with it.

A little more Googling showed quite a few karate classes in Christchurch. That may be a little further out of your way. You could see what they do, compare it to what you study and draw your own conclusions.

As I said though, if you enjoy doing what you are doing then keep at it.

#394605 - 05/11/08 02:06 PM Re: seeking info [Re: Prizewriter]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
it's difficult to call, but in relation to statements like this -

'The Grand master Kihei Motobu, had only one arm. Because of his handicap, Motobu developed and perfected the circular block in which one hand protects both sides of the body.'

I would be concerned.

Certainly I haven't heard of ALL Okinawan karate systems, however I have never heard of one called 'Okinawan Te' (this represents the island art of Okinawa without the Chinese quan influence according to most),

and I certainly haven't heard of a one armed chap named Motobu.........

I guess with groups like this the issue is sometimes if what they are claiming is not based on truth and fact, what else is going on? Not my cup of T.

Of course there is the very, very small chance that none of us have heard of the Ryu and it's lineage masters, if thats the case then I apologise for my view.

In relation to training maybee they are very good indeed, but that doesn't excuse making up stuff and promoting yourself on the back of it, not at all.

Of course a quick look at some kata from the group would help things along nicely.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#394606 - 05/11/08 02:13 PM Re: seeking info [Re: Prizewriter]
sasori_te Offline

Loc: Matthews, NC
I'm also a bit skeptical of this Doversola person. I have a decent reference collection (along with the internet) and was unable to find any record of a one-armed Motobu in Hawaii or anywhere else, nor could I find any reference to Teiken Nagusko (this surname seems like it may be misspelled to me). However, I couldn't find any variations of it either. As prizewriter said, it may be a decent system, but it isn't true Okinawa ti. I don't even know if it exists as a style anymore. After Okinawa Ti split into Naha and Shuri Ti I don't think it was taught as Okinawa Ti ( or simply ti )anymore. Hey, if it's fun and you like it, go for it. However if you are looking into taking it as a historic karate style you might want to look elsewhere to someone with a more traceable lineage. This guy has a "Bloodsport" Frank Dux type lineage.

#394607 - 05/11/08 04:55 PM Re: seeking info [Re: two_snakes]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I have just started a karate class with an organisation that teaches Okinawa te Karate. It is affilated with Okinawa te Karate Organisation run out of California by Shihan Gordon Doversola.

I was wondering if anyone had every heard of this style and/or trained under it.

Seeking any information about how you found it?? They have a website btw www.okinawate.co.nz

Sometime in the past I am pretty sure I came across websites advertising Okinawan ti on Okinawa.

So I assume if they are teaching Okinawan ti the lineage should be trace able.

I cant remember where they are.

If you perhaps emailed Mario McKenna, Toon ryu and asked he might answer. I dont know him personaly but have had a small amount of correspondence in the past and found him to be extremily helpfull.

Jude.

Edited by jude33 (05/11/08 04:58 PM)

#394608 - 05/11/08 07:27 PM Re: seeking info [Re: two_snakes]
MikoReklaw Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've heard of Okinawa Te. It is mentioned a few times in "Okinawan Karate: Teachers, styles, and secret techniques" by Mark Bishop. Just finished reading that earlier this week.

You may wanna grab a copy of that book, and verify his background against that... if you are worried about it, that is.

The important thing is that you learn something, and enjoy the class.

#394609 - 05/12/08 02:38 AM Re: seeking info [Re: MikoReklaw]
two_snakes Offline
Stranger

Some great stuff here thank you. And you are right if you enjoy it then keep going. I will do some more digging and train some more cos ya know I do enjoy it...

#394610 - 05/12/08 03:03 AM Re: seeking info [Re: two_snakes]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I wouldn't dig to much as you may not like what you find............

still if they train hard and it's good for you, then head down and enjoy!

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga