FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#394575 - 06/23/08 07:01 AM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: brocksampson]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Thanks for the reply. I haven't left the beginner's end of the pool yet...and appreciate the insights.

Anyone care to jump in as to the types of bo/staff sparring that exist? My framework is limited to 1) pre-arranged bunkai, 2) non-prearranged 'kendo' type meets seen on the 'net.

#394576 - 06/23/08 09:50 AM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: harlan]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
The sparring we do looks different then what was in the video as well. We do alot of short range attacks with one end of the staff messing with our opponents legs and the other end attacking high. There are throws and joint locks incorporated with the staff training.

From a distance, the staff is held on one end. There is a snapping motion from the wrist with each strike. When done in the air, you should see the staff warp and the opposite end move several inches. This snapping motion creates a tourque power that travels through the staff into your opponent.

As we advance toward our opponent, our grip becomes more central. Their is a figure 8 digging motion to get past the opponents defenses. Once inside, then we do the trips, throws, locks etc.. with strikes.

There is also a set of techniques from a nonthreatening holding the staff as a walking stick. One end of the staff is planted into the ground and the other is cupped behind the staff. You then move arround the staff, keeping it generally vertical and between you and the opponent. Parries and strikes are done from this position.

Edited by everyone (06/23/08 09:53 AM)

#394577 - 06/25/08 06:46 PM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: everyone]
tgall Offline

Loc: germany
Hey everyone,

do you have a vid of your staff-fights?

Thomas

#394578 - 07/03/08 08:26 PM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: tgall]
mambawaba Offline

i would love to see that too!
i just have this videos, not me, i was filming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHBX7sZOY7o
here, controled sparing with real wooden sticks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEtqCVzhiMk
here, some more full contact sparing, in a relaxed, not competitive mood.
This are the actionflex sticks, they are not very good for jogo do pau since we use all the staffs lenth for our advantage in a fight and the grip is in one of the tips ofthe staff and if you used actionflex staffs they are soft on both sides, so it looks really sloppy.. hope we can get to a better solution in the future.

#394579 - 07/04/08 04:50 AM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: mambawaba]
Zyranyth Offline

Loc: Finland
The full contact sticks seem suprisingly soft? Are there slightly stiffer variants of them or is that how they usually are?

#394580 - 07/04/08 09:18 PM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: Zyranyth]
mambawaba Offline

they do are very soft, but at the moment they are the best solution at least for jogo do pau.
They use a technology that make it softer on the tip and stronger on the base, but that is for swords, for staffs they just put 2 soft tips on each side.
But this is great because it allows full speed hits and at the same time you can block with the center of the stick as you would with a normal one for security. And with the power of the hits in jogo do pau, anything stiffer would cause bruises or need for expensive armor(we tried lots of stuff) the only problem is that we don't have a decent grip on one of the sides and the back hand, that should be the stronger grip ends up gripping a soft part of it.

#394581 - 07/06/08 02:17 PM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: mambawaba]
tgall Offline

Hello Mambawaba,

what are the rule in your fightings?

Quote:

But this is great because it allows full speed hits and at the same time you can block with the center of the stick as you would with a normal one for security. And with the power of the hits in jogo do pau, anything stiffer would cause bruises or need for expensive armor(we tried lots of stuff) the only problem is that we don't have a decent grip on one of the sides and the back hand, that should be the stronger grip ends up gripping a soft part of it.

I know the problem of the bad gripping, this is part of our security tricks for the fight, if you have a bad grip cause the stick it to thick you cant hit so hard, then you also could use a less fexlible stick.

Sincerly

Thomas

#394582 - 07/07/08 07:26 PM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: tgall]
mambawaba Offline

you have here a little bit of combat with the old armors but the principles are the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3rJ9RSllZg
basically, you can hit any place but the strike needs to be judged as strong enough to knock down the opponent. If you hit with a weak/wrist based strike you wouldn't take down someone actually fighting with you so that doesn't count.
sword like hits, kendo like, wouldn't count too, because they work with a sword but are too weak for a stick... well i guess im talking to much, hope it helps.

cheers!

#394583 - 08/09/08 05:35 PM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: mambawaba]
tgall Offline

Hello,

I had the chance to get a best of Video of our last tournament. Here is the youtube link.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOvXS5nYUeA

I would love to hear your comments.

Thomas

#394584 - 08/10/08 02:38 AM Re: Sparring Staff [Re: tgall]
duanew Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:

Hello,

I had the chance to get a best of Video of our last tournament. Here is the youtube link.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOvXS5nYUeA

I would love to hear your comments.

Thomas

Loved the transition to the choke. Other than that the bo competition looks like karate competition. Two people playing for points and forgetting what a real fight is like. Single techniques thrown, then backing up to avoid being scored on, etc. Yes, I understand the need for safety and rules and all that. But then people start "playing" to the rules. Once you make it a game its' competitors become game players.
A more realistic way to do it would be for one competitor to be scored. The other is the attacker who attacks without regard to being scored on-multiple attacks with focus and power. Then the competitor could be scored on their ability with the bo-defense and counter attack. This goes for kobudo and karate. But nobody wants to be the guy who attacks-it would require someone not involved in the competition, etc. Not a likelihood of happening.
Then the problem becomes that those who win at competition are viewed as being "good". So others start to copy them and then what they do becomes the desired model. Anyway it's the whole competition karate vs "real" karate thing.
As far as a practice bo I have always used a wooden closet dowel. No pads with control. You can take a good wack to the hand and not really feel it..much.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga