FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 24 of 25 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 >
Topic Options
#392334 - 05/06/08 07:49 AM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

You seem to get very defensive and take disagreements personal. You should be more aware of that and try to control it.

Quote:

Maybe you should be aware of this and try to control those assumptions.

Nice try, Ed!

#392335 - 05/06/08 07:56 AM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: shoshinkan]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

good idea Jude, and cross training is so very traditional anyhow

Hi Jim.
Doesnt mean I am giving up looking for a higher percentage of proof , or should I say more proof to over whelm the nay sayers thought process.

I mean in a self defence scenario.
Two people fighting
Fall to the floor
One finishes the other off with an arm bar/ break after striking while being the subject of the pull of gravity

(had to include that part being as it seems karate had internal and external power methods included)

(No S.O.L its not me being random)

The S/D encounter finishes in a Ground Fight.
Arm bar and striking are in karate kata.

One day when I reach the dizzy heights I might post a video of such a method of explanation.
They say pictures are a better explanation than words.
There again seeing as Barad seems to be the better looking I could ask him to take part.

Jude

#392336 - 05/06/08 08:12 AM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: medulanet]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Just a suggestion.

Couldnt we reduce the amount of nitpicking by having paragraphs or sentences of logical( or even none-logical) thought/ proof countered by logical(or none logical) thought and proof then a seperate part of only 15 words to nitpick at the bottom of the posting .?

That way it doesnst turn into total nit picking and then people get a chance to nit pick.

Random thoughts nothing to do with the topic
Nit pick? Interesting how that term came about?
End of random thoughts.

Jude

Edited by jude33 (05/06/08 08:16 AM)

#392337 - 05/06/08 08:28 AM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: jude33]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Jude,
A nit refers to the egg of a louse (Lice) or other parasitic insect; also : the insect itself when young. Nitpicking refers to looking eggs or young insects on your or someone elses body. Nit picking can mean minute and usually unjustified criticism

#392338 - 05/06/08 08:31 AM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: oldman]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Jude,
A nit refers to the egg of a louse (Lice) or other parasitic insect; also : the insect itself when young. Nitpicking refers to looking eggs or young insects on your or someone elses body. Nit picking can mean minute and usually unjustified criticism

#392339 - 05/06/08 01:06 PM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: Shonuff]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Quote:

Quote:

Nothing personal, I'm just not PC.

Note: this is a tangential point not directed at anyone in particular.

I've always felt that anti political correctness is just people looking for an excuse to be lazy.
There is no opinion however offensive that cannot, with a bit of consideration, be phrased in a civilised way.

It is my personal feeling that if one does not have the wits or intelligence to be polite and inoffensive when speaking then they should not be allowed to speak at all.

Or maybe some people have always been able to see through the PC BS and realized it means squat for those at which it is aimed. It is simply designed to make those who use it to feel better about themselves. For me it is useless.

#392340 - 05/07/08 01:27 AM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: jude33]
CVV Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
Quote:

Quote:

good idea Jude, and cross training is so very traditional anyhow

Hi Jim.
Doesnt mean I am giving up looking for a higher percentage of proof , or should I say more proof to over whelm the nay sayers thought process.

Two people fighting
Fall to the floor
One finishes the other off with an arm bar/ break after striking while being the subject of the pull of gravity

And there is for me the difference between karate and a system that continues on the ground. The arm-bar is not the end, getting up is the end and as quickly as possible. If you eliminate the thread by breaking his arm, great. If you cannot break his arm, you are not continuing with the arm bar in a stand-off where eventually opponent would give up. You do not try to get a dominant position to continue on the ground but you finish it and get up or you get up and reevaluate your position.

In goju-ryu there are drills where both persons end on the ground. Finish it by striking or kicking and get up. The arm-bar or take-down or submission technique is befor the ending strike or technique. Not the end technique. In wado-ryu I have seen parter drills where it ends in the arm bar etc but these came from ju-jitsu.

I think the Okinawan strategy, at least in karate, is to fight standing as much as possible. Against multiple opponents (with or without weapons) it is not good strategy to fight them of while on the ground. Karate and kobudo always take into consideration multiple opponents. Although the exploration of techniques is in the 1-on-1 scenario. But positioning and strategy I have been thaught take into consideration multiple opponents.

#392341 - 05/07/08 02:41 AM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: shoshinkan]
Seiken Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:

Seiken,

please don't misunderstand me, I see a huge range of locks, trips, throws, takedowns, strangles, pokes and shunts in classical kata (it's okinawan presented chin-na),

what I don't see is an effective method of partner work to develop those skills to be applicabile in a stand up wrestling format,

and ultimatly to assist the deployment of all the above stated methods and of course all the strikes, kicks, blocks etc etc in relaity.

Goju is nearer than the rest of the pack but even their excersise set and 2 man work is not nearly enough similair to known wrestling methods, used all over the world in different basic wrestling (often historical) arts and traditions, hence my personal development of what I choose to call 'tegumi' practice.

I did misunderstand, I apologize. Thanks for clearing it up, but I think I might misunderstand you on one aspect still, sorry beforehand . You disagree that certain practices utilized in karate may lead to the same skills? Like push hands, one steps, and free sparring? Or even solo kata?

I remember during gym wrestling we were learning the firemans carry, I would be fine until the moment of lift my posture would break. My teacher had me practice by myself slowly always making sure my hips were aligned and visualize the best I could everything happening. It wasnt ten minutes later I was pulling it off after only a few reps. This is not much different than kata and one steps.

To me, the practices involved in Karate can lead to development of skills and abilities to wrestle and strike. I guess I just dont think that something has to be constructed using the same method as something else to be proficent. Resistance in push hands is not much different than pummel drills, the abilities gained are similar therefor applicable under the same context as long as intent is given. One steps and sparring is absolutely no different than cooperative partner work and rolling. Of course depending on styles and the actual techniques your working, your never going to pull anything off unless you know it, or get lucky.

If you were to take a wrestling technique, put it into a kata form. Then practice the technique visualizing your performance a few hundred times. Continue to go over the hold in typical one step fashion with a completely non-resistant partner. Now go spar and try to do that technique. I would be willing to bet a B to A+ performance within a couple minutes. Im not talking pro level, or being able to pull it off against better fighters but within the skill range.

Blah, sorry.. my mind wandered slightly.

#392342 - 05/07/08 04:07 AM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: CVV]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Two people fighting
Fall to the floor

And there is for me the difference between karate and a system that continues on the ground. The arm-bar is not the end, getting up is the end and as quickly as possible. If you eliminate the thread by breaking his arm, great. If you cannot break his arm, you are not continuing with the arm bar in a stand-off where eventually opponent would give up. You do not try to get a dominant position to continue on the ground but you finish it and get up or you get up and reevaluate your position.

In goju-ryu there are drills where both persons end on the ground. Finish it by striking or kicking and get up. The arm-bar or take-down or submission technique is befor the ending strike or technique. Not the end technique. In wado-ryu I have seen parter drills where it ends in the arm bar etc but these came from ju-jitsu.

I think the Okinawan strategy, at least in karate, is to fight standing as much as possible. Against multiple opponents (with or without weapons) it is not good strategy to fight them of while on the ground. Karate and kobudo always take into consideration multiple opponents. Although the exploration of techniques is in the 1-on-1 scenario. But positioning and strategy I have been thaught take into consideration multiple opponents.

I can see your points. If I fell to the ground with an opponent in a S/D scenario on a one on one and if I could pound and attempt a break I would.
If I couldnt I would try to get up. I wouldnt be fighting for a better/ dominant position.

Yes my first art was wado.

Still that is G/F. And it is in kata regardless if it is shown while standing up. It can still be applied on the deck.

Jude

#392343 - 05/07/08 04:10 AM Re: Tegumi, Funakoshi, FA.com, and medulanet [Re: medulanet]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

[Or maybe some people have always been able to see through the PC BS and realized it means squat for those at which it is aimed. It is simply designed to make those who use it to feel better about themselves. For me it is useless.

So are we guys going back on proving G/F in karate?
Just a thought.

Jude

Page 24 of 25 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga