FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#391924 - 04/24/08 07:47 AM Re: Tonights PPV UFC 83 [Re: MattJ]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

RE: Sherk vs. Penn. I think that Penn will take that fight, assuming his conditioning is up to it. I don't think Sherk's skill level is anywhere near what BJ's is. Penn gassing is the only way I see him losing that fight.

BJ will only be able to show his skill if he is able to get guard or a dominant position. With Sherk being so good at wrestling, and so good at smothering his opponents, I doubt BJ will get much of a chance to use his submissions, and there is no way in hell he is taking Sherk down.

On the feet, Penn may have a better chance, but I still don't fancy him, because if Sherk want to take the fight to the ground, then it WILL go there. That's how I read it anyway, after watching Sherk's last few fights before his suspension, if he's as good as he was then then I can't see anyone in the light weight division really beating him. As I said, I can't see a knockout, but I can see 5 rounds of ground and pound.

#391925 - 04/24/08 07:53 AM Re: Tonights PPV UFC 83 [Re: Supremor]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I agree with you on Sherk's takedown ability. But BJ has fantastic jujitsu skills, and I can see him submitting Sherk once on the ground. But I have been wrong before.

EDIT -

Started a UFC 84 thread here, to keep this from going off-topic:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15996142

Edited by MattJ (04/24/08 07:54 AM)

#391926 - 04/24/08 07:55 AM Re: Tonights PPV UFC 83 [Re: shoveldog]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

And, I admit, I don't like him as a result of the Hamill fight, and I had my say about that here:

I can't understand the resentment that people feel towards Bisping because of this fight. It wasn't his fault that he was fighting at home with judges who may have got it wrong. Sure, he felt he won the fight, but it was a close fight, and I'm sure both fighters thought they'd won.

Bisping comes accross as a really nice guy, both in the TUF series and when he's doing interviews. He made a small booboo after the hamil fight, but honestly, the beef he gets is crazy.

He looked good in the McCarthy fight. Whatever way you want to look at it, he looked like a good fighter with good stand-up. McCarthy may have been a lower tier fighter, but that was who Bisping had been given to fight and he did it well. maybe he is not a match for Franklin, and I certainly don't think he is a match for Silva. But apart from those two, I think he's more than capable of beating anyone in the division. Coming up short against the best two fighters in your weight class is not a sign of mediocrity!

He fought well, give him his dues.

#391927 - 04/24/08 09:23 AM Re: Tonights PPV UFC 83 [Re: MattJ]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
i agree with matt, i think penn is an animal. I think it will be a hard fight as sherk has alot of strength and conditioning, i dont think he is any fitter than penn though i mean wow the guy said he had been training and he meant it (penn that is). Dont let the roided up meat head physique of sherk sqayer your decision, the only thing he has going for him is top quality wrestling a bit 1 dimensional in my opinion, unless someone would like to correct me on his stand up?

Penn is naturally gifted with his striking on his feet, i dont think he trains in near as much as he could but he can get away with it due to his raw talent.

I think the fight will go something along the lines off sherk will take a few shots, shoot for the takedown. penn is a master on the ground in submissions i think sherk will have a tough time although the pure strength and agression of sherk will have penn playing defensivly for a while.

Anyway im with BJ penn hes a great guy and sherk is just a nob.

#391928 - 04/24/08 10:45 AM Re: Tonights PPV UFC 83 [Re: Tom2199]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
In case you missed the fights or are locked out, here is another website ALSO showing fights you did not see. Take a look at the EXCELLENT fight by my hometown boy Jason MacDonald. To think they showed Kalib/Quarry's fight over this. I don't get it.

http://www.mmatko.com/jason-macdonald-vs-joe-doerksen-fight-video-ufc-83/

Other videos on the right side.

#391929 - 04/24/08 10:47 AM Re: Tonights PPV UFC 83 [Re: shoveldog]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Quote:

Er....no, not really. If Bisping was not a class above his oponent, he would not have dominated him so badly would he?

Sorry, but this makes no sense. McCarthy is a lower tier fighter, so beating him is nothing to crow about. I didn't say Bisping wasn't a better fighter than McCarthy, I said that victory didn't mean anything. And no, it doesn't mean Bisping is another class because he won convincingly.

Contradiction aplenty in that little diatribe.

Quote:

Surely I don't have to explain why that conclusion doesn't logically follow.

Yep, you do.

Quote:

As far as your statement about not finding a more "dominant display of standup in recent times," dude, you need to get out more. Revew Anderson Sylva's fights with Franklin

equally dominant.

Quote:

check out Cung le's demolition of Frank Shamrock

Embarassing sparring match.

Quote:

look at Lyoto Machida's fights

Couldnt comment.

Quote:

Bisping is nowhere near that level, and never will be. I know you like the guy, but jeez, don't embarrass yourself with that kind of hyperbole.

Wasn't aware that I had qualified Bisping as absolutely top flight, merely, by obesrvation, noted that his eye catching performance and overall fight record warrant him being in the mix as a prospective challenger. Time, and his next oponents will decide his level, not you, or I.

Quote:

And, I admit, I don't like him as a result of the Hamill fight, and I had my say about that here:

cant blame a fighter for a judges decision. Blame Hamill for not taking him out.

Quote:

As they say in my profession, this is an issue on which reasonable men may differ, and you and I certainly do.
I've said my piece, and I'm disinclined to waste any more pixels on Mr. Bisping. Onward and upward.

Nothing like having the last word is there

#391930 - 04/24/08 12:48 PM Re: Tonights PPV UFC 83 [Re: Cord]
BrianRVanCise Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan
I too am looking forward to the Sherk vs. Penn fight. I do think that Penn will win because he is trickier and also because Sherk will want it on the ground. My major questions are if Sherk will be the same post steroids and will Penn's cardio be good. All in all this will make for an interesting fight.

#391931 - 04/24/08 01:31 PM Re: Tonights PPV UFC 83 [Re: BrianRVanCise]
shoveldog Offline

I don't think BJ will ever be able to match Sherk's cardio, or his training work ethic for that matter, although I do believe BJ is the better technical fighter. But because of Sherk's physical strength and stamina, if BJ doesn't submit Sherk in the first two rounds, I think he's probably toast, and I hate to say that because I'm pulling for BJ.

#391932 - 04/24/08 07:36 PM Re: Tonights PPV UFC 83 [Re: shoveldog]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
On the note of Bisping, I don't like him and I have always thought he's overrated. He did look good during his last bout,but the guy fought made him look better than he actually is imo.

I've always said Ken Shamrock takes dives!!! HA!!

BJ Penn will beat Sherk.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga