FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#391715 - 04/18/08 02:55 PM Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board?
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
Hello, I was curious if anyone else had come into contact with this guy Jim Wagner? http://www.jimwagnertraining.com/ I attended a seminar a few years ago and found his two handed gun disarm to be interesting. However, I feel that his attitudes towards the extremes of RBSD and disdain for TMA are off-putting. I understand where reality-based systems are coming from and feel that they offer a valid option but that there shouldn't be a need to tear down other choices any more. A personal issue is that his reality of necessary knowledge in self-defense seems alittle extreme and doesn't fit my reality at the moment.

#391716 - 04/18/08 06:45 PM Re: Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Personally I think you're much better off with Geoff thompson, Tony blauer, Paul Vunak or anyone else, Jim Wagner has never really impressed me much, especially that attitude.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#391717 - 04/18/08 06:52 PM Re: Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board? [Re: Stormdragon]
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
I agree, I personally wouldn't train with him. Is that the reason there is no mention of him on here? That is more of what I was getting at, the fact that searching returned no mention of him at all.

#391718 - 04/18/08 09:10 PM Re: Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Yeah he's never come across to me as particularly popular. A lot of it is probably his lack of anything particularly revolutionary, his attitude especially his over blown reputation) and the way he just sort of engineers an out of proportion idea of fear and whatnot.
Also the fact that this forum is the predominant habitat for KM and Systema practionters on this site.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#391719 - 04/19/08 12:14 PM Re: Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board? [Re: Stormdragon]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
Jim Wagner is a Legend in his own mind. Reminds me a lot of Massad Ayoob. for those of you who don't know who don't know who that is, he is an "expert" who is constantly writing editorials and columns for Combat handguns magazine as well as others. Listening to him you'd swear he gets into a fights with gangs of machine gun-wielding bad guys weekly.
Wagners Columns in BB Magazine can sometimes be entertaining sometimes comical and once in a while there is some common sense things there but I would rather listen to some of the above mentioned instructors as well as those like Mike Lee Kanerek.

#391720 - 04/19/08 12:28 PM Re: Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board? [Re: Glockmeister]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Listening to him you'd swear he gets into a fights with gangs of machine gun-wielding bad guys weekly.
Wagners Columns in BB Magazine can sometimes be entertaining sometimes comical and once in a while there is some common sense

Ah......that's where I remember that name from. Yes, Wagner doesn't consider anyone to be any good in SD unless they have done it ALL FOR R34L. Hijacked, stabbed, gunshot, etc.

Goofball.

#391721 - 04/21/08 09:02 AM Re: Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board? [Re: MattJ]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
Yeah, in one of his recent articles in BB, he claimed that unless your self defense or martial arts instructor got into "real" fights on a regular basis or had to defend his or herself against violent attacks often that they couldn't teach real self defense even if they were experienced boxers, grapplers, etc, because that didn't constitute "real fighting" he also recommended that if that applied to you and you were thinking of being an instructor, you should first go work as a bouncer, corrections officer or join the military to get a feel for "real self defense" first.
Yes, he's a goofball. He also endorses that goofy "hammerhead" focus mitt. That is a focus mitt molded like a human head, because of course, otherwise, it's not "realistic.

#391722 - 04/21/08 10:52 AM Re: Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board? [Re: Glockmeister]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I figured if this thread stay up long enough, everyone would essentially say what I was going to. I was right.

Wagner does seem to really come off like a tool. He definitely takes the goofy approach. I agree about the human head focus pad comment.

However guys, I'm sure there is a huge audience, just as goofy, that is paying him handsomely. That's what all this is about. Playing off people's fears is a great way to make a large chunk of change. Systema, Krav Maga, etc. (RBSD in general) have mastered this aspect of marketing.

-John

#391723 - 04/21/08 01:02 PM Re: Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board? [Re: JKogas]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

You right. I just wanted say I thought that name sounded familiar and it wasn't until the "head focus mit" was mentioned.

#391724 - 04/21/08 03:51 PM Re: Jim Wagner RBSD not on the board? [Re: JKogas]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Honestly, I have to agree with John here. I hate the way these arts market themselves. I know that everyone has to make a living but....

That's one thing that I really agree with Matt Thornton about, that the atheletic pursuit of combative truth generally leads to a heathier psycological state.

I've been doing a long commute for a few months now (two hours by bus and train each way), so I picked up Black Belt for the last two months so I could kill ten minutes. I actually crack up laughing when I read Jim Wagner's column. I can't believe that he seems to addvocate that the general public should (to parapharse) 'be on the lookout for car bombs and wmds.' Come on! Who wants to live their life like that?

Living in a constant state of fear disguised as preparedness has nothing to do with being a warrior.

Train hard, sweat, laugh with your partners, get tapped out, learn: try to enjoy the life your so eager to protect.

--Chris

Edited by Ames (04/21/08 03:51 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga