FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#391431 - 04/21/08 01:43 AM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: LiLPowerhouse]
Sorin Offline

Loc: Oxford, MS
I'm not much of a weight lifter personally, but Cord is telling you the truth. From your routine and what you say, you really want to be able to lift a lot of weight. You really want big arms to show off. The only problem is, if you continue as you are, without balancing out your workout, you'll end up hurting yourself. You'll be able to lift a lot, sure, but since your not allowing the rest of your body to move up along with your arms, it's only a matter of time. One day you'll be lifting and one of those supporting muscles that you haven't been working on will tear, and then you won't be lifting anything for a few months. I'm sure you don't want that to happen right?

Sorin

#391432 - 04/21/08 04:32 AM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: LiLPowerhouse]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Ok, I feel that if I don't address a certain muscle group directly (i.e Close grips and skullcrushers) I will lose the size I have and the strength. I know that basically all pushing movements incorporate the tri's but and pulling the bi's. I don't like not hitting the muscle directly because I feel it will just wither away. If I were to make the change how could I still have a three day split routine for stength and will I retain the size and strength of all muscle groups or is it going to be an upset?

Also to address the ego. I deffinately have an ego. I don't know if it's a big one but I like telling my friends the weight that I do because their jaws just drop. It feels good to be told that you're big and strong. Correct me of I'm wrong but dosen't everyone? I'm willing to make a change if the proof is in the pudding.

Thats an honest response. The thing is that a 3 day split is not a strength routine, and as soon as training to maintain/increase muscle mass is put into the mix, you are defining yourself as a bodybuilder. There is nothing wrong with that, and you can certainly be a strong bodybuilder, but a strength routine takes only improved performance, not improved physical appearance into consideration.

The proof of the pudding i can offer from a personal standpoint. At your age, I was very much like yourself- volume crazy and wanting it all- mad size and crazy strength. I was training a 6 day bodysplit, 3 days of which had an am/pm split within them. I lived at the gym.

My elbows and rotator cuff's still remind me of my mistakes 17 years on.

As my understanding of the body increased, so my training evolved, and in the later years in my career training people, the last thing I wanted was to spend large amounts of free time in my workplace, so my training got cut to raw basics- it was the best thing that ever happened. in the first couple of months after I dropped direct arm work from my workouts, the combination of extra recovery, and increased intensity in the compound lifts, actually increased my upper arm size by close to an inch! Your body grows when it rests, not when it trains- you are depriving your body of recovery, and therefore depriving yourself of growth.

Now, a 3 day bodybuilding split, concentrating on compound movements is perfectly fine, but it will not look like what you are doing now, and your ego will tell you that you are not training enough. Your body's response will suprise you though.

on the point of training environment- I notice you talk of leg press, but that general was coming over to your house to workout. Do you have a fully functioning gym at home, or do you split training between home and a facility? Do you use free weights or machines, or a mixture? Is the leg press plate loaded, or a pin stack?

Give me the full rundown and I would give you something to try- but be warned, its going to be a big difference.

#391433 - 04/21/08 04:44 AM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: Sorin]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

ahh, ego..great to be young again..lol Lil we have all been there.. Definitely take head to what Cord offers.

I don't have much to offer, but one thing that goes well with most everything. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

#391434 - 04/21/08 10:36 AM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: Cord]
LiLPowerhouse Offline

I do have a leg press that me and my dad fashioned. I lay exactly under it and push it straight up. It is plate stacked. I don't have a a fully funtioning gym, me and my dad just made it in the spur of the moment, I also have a squat rack made of wood that we made as well. I rarely use a facility but sometimes I do in school before sports. Very rarely though. I always use free weights, I don't like machines. I have plenty of weight too, 3 sets of dumbells, 3 straight bars, 2 ez curl bars, french bars, you name it I probably got it. 3 benches, 2 of them able to support racks, all incline and decline. Preachers and everything, fully loaded.

Know how can I change my routine and what movements should I do? I'd like to get some feedback before chest tomorrow.

#391435 - 04/21/08 11:12 AM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: LiLPowerhouse]
Cord Offline
Prolific

OK, home fashioned equipment makes me nervous- no disrespect to you or you dad, but I would not want over 400lbs bearing down on me supported by something made 'on the spur of the moment'.

Also, how are you able to do one arm lat pulldown without access to a high pulley machine?

Finally, can you confirm that your primary goal has to include muscle gain, not pure strength.

Clarify these points and I will post a routine this evening.

#391436 - 04/21/08 01:00 PM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: Cord]
LiLPowerhouse Offline

I do want to gain muscle as well. I do them bending over with a dumbbell not with a pulley system, although I do have one that I can stack plates on. I'm willing to change all my current exercises to make better gains.

#391437 - 04/21/08 06:56 PM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: LiLPowerhouse]
Cord Offline
Prolific

OK. 3 day split, but its going to freak you out

Day 1.
Deadlift 4 sets. Pyramid. reps: 8-10, 8-10, 5-7, 3-5
Bent over Barbell row. Same scheme
Shrugs. Same.
Standing barbell curl 4 sets reps: 5-7.

Day 2.
Flat bench 4 sets. Reps: 8-10, 8-10, 5-7, 3-5
Incline (no more than 30 degree) Dumbell press. Same scheme
Standing barbell military press. Same scheme (keep technique spot on)
Skull crushers 4x5-7

Day 3.
Squats 4 sets. reps: 8-10, 8-10, 5-7, 3-5
Barbell Good-mornings 4 sets, 8-10 reps
Rear delt raise (standing) 4x8-10
Weighted Crunches 4x8-10
Plank 4x 1 minute.

Thats it. ideally you will be working out on monday, wednesday and friday, with weekends off.

#391438 - 04/21/08 09:02 PM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: Cord]
THEGENERAL Offline

Loc: NY
Quote:

Also, how are you able to do one arm lat pulldown without access to a high pulley machine?

Correct me if I'm wrong, Powerhouse, but I'm pretty sure you were doing single-arm bent over DB rows.

#391439 - 04/21/08 11:05 PM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: Cord]
LiLPowerhouse Offline

Oh god... Alright I'll try it and I appreciate it. I have to make it the same days I normally work out because mondays and fridays I have sports right after school until five then work so there won't be enough time, I'll just start it in the middle. Can't wait!

Also by pyramid you just mean increasing the weight right, not going up then back down? Thaanks

Edited by LiLPowerhouse (04/21/08 11:07 PM)

#391440 - 04/22/08 02:49 AM Re: LilL Powerhouses routine [Re: LiLPowerhouse]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Yep, just increase the weight in line with the rep range. No more 1 rep max work for now. lower volume. more rest. More balance.
Stick to your current training days, but do not exceed the 3 workouts a week- No 'sneaking' in an extra triceps day
You will need to do this routine for 8-12 weeks to truly apraise the result. Again, you will 'feel' lazy in relation to the workload you have been doing, and you probably wont have anywhere near the level of DOMS the day after your workout- but neither of these factors have anything to do with the efficiency or success of a workout- much of what works in training is against mental pre-conceptions that so many conform to.

Good luck, and thankyou for having an open mind.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga