FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#390995 - 04/14/08 12:10 PM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: JohnL]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
John L

Excellent observation!

The thing that possibly marked the end of the gracies was less effectiveness and perhaps more ratings.
Dana White version/concept is clearly a winner in terms of public interest and market share.

People on the news are fond of saying "if it bleeds it leads"....pretty sure that is a pretty good way to get viewers of pretty mcuh anything.

From a business standpoint MMA and the UFC are an interesting case.

#390996 - 04/14/08 07:16 PM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: VDJ]
Raul Perez Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY, USA
Quote:

Raul,

Both mine and fileboy's posts, though they had some political reference were still on topic of the thread but I do understand your reason for deleting them. HOWEVER, I feel that you are also setting a double standard by leaving the Hannity pic simply because it "amuses" you.

VDJ

VDJ I deleted one sentence of yours that dealt with politics and another post completely because it completely dealt with your politcal views. Anything that had substance relating to the topic at hand I kept.

The pic is simply calling Hannity a douche, which, is friggin hysterical no matter what your stance is. It doesnt call him a douche for his politcal views but for his personal views. I actually LIKE Hannity for the most part which also shows how screwy my sense of humour is.

Here's a pic of me:

Format it and call me a douche if it makes you feel better. I'll print it out and put it in my cube.

The pic stays.

#390997 - 04/15/08 07:32 AM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: Raul Perez]
Mark Hill Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
I thought conservatives in the US had a strict interpretation of the Constitution - therefore MMA shouldn't be banned. Or Hannity is a liberal. Maybe I'm confused.

Non martial artists sometimes don't get it. Look even at the Kimbo Slice movies. When he fights chumps in the backyard he helps them up, shakes their hand, sees if they are alright. There is a hell of a lot of respect in MA, and I would say perhaps more so in MMA (I am a traditional/classical MA) because you have to back up your smack talk with actions.

Fox News presenters would love it if youth got the respect, compassion and pro social attitudes for yourself and others that MA can teach you.

John L -

"The idea of 6 year olds, however well protected and controlled, being put in a competetive environment where they can beat on each other, I find abhorent. I would find the same with boxing, karate, etc at this age, but from the look of it I can see why the public may look at the kids in a cage and be shocked."

We don't let kids do contact except until they reach high school pretty much. We let them hit us (adults). We still teach them to grapple and do submissions to a limited extent.

The idea of human beings hurting each other (of any age, in any way) is abhorrent, except that martial arts are done for self preservation and personal development. Although I do respect your point of view - it is worthy of consideration.

#390998 - 04/15/08 08:08 AM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
That moron has absolutely no basis for his argument whatsoever than just his ignorant observations.

What a dolt....

#390999 - 04/15/08 02:20 PM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: BrianS]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
If MMA is to survive past it's present point of saturation, then we have got to look at things from both perspectives. I personally do not enjoy watching kids doing MMA. From a parental perspective, the whole thing from the cage to the modified MMA rules just seems exploitive in my opinion. This coming from an instructor and athlete...

The media is pushing the MMA fighters as personalities and role models for the kids to emulate. WWE, except for real. It is not surprising that the kids watch the events and see the recognition, respect and attention given to the competitors, then they too would like to try this "extreme sport". I think it will be a long time before mainstream America is willing to accept young kids "fighting", no matter how statistically or anecdotally "safe" it is.

My personal opinion is that the adults who are behind these events are looking for a pee-wee model of the UFC to line their own pockets more than they are looking to provide a legitimate sporting opportunity.

#391000 - 04/15/08 02:42 PM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: Fletch1]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Fletch

Good post.

People are also pushing the "bad boy" image of MMA on TV shows like the Ultiamte Fighter.
Like all reality TV they thrive on conflict and their rateing ie money, depends on it.

The trash talking, personality conflicts, aggression, smart ass comments, put downs, insults, disrespect etc all make great TV--"great" in this case means "good for rateings."

But again, it becomes the public face of the art---and for people to cash their checks on Monday for purposely creating such an impression then BMW'ing about such a perception being somehow being "unfair" on Friday strains credibilty.

If somebody is spending a ton of time, money and effort marketing and presenting their art as "X"---then they should not be surprised when folks not only belive it but act on their belief.

Edited by cxt (04/15/08 02:44 PM)

#391001 - 04/15/08 05:07 PM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: cxt]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Agreed. The whole TAPOUT "In Ya Face", Extreme, whatever else you may call it... has a bred an image that the young and impressionable wish to identify with. The idea that something that is so close to actual combat can be acceptable as an "Extreme Sport" with it's own fan base, culture, clothing, etc., is very enticing. Especially so when the pay per view $$$ spending adults are seeing an opportunity to get their kids into something that has the image and notoriety of MMA.

"My kid is an Ultimate Fighter"

"My kid can destroy your honor student in a cage match."

ad nauseum...

#391002 - 04/15/08 05:42 PM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: Fletch1]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Tru dat!

Personally, I don't like to see the little ones going at it. There's just something not right about it.

#391003 - 04/15/08 05:42 PM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: Mark Hill]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Quote:

Non martial artists sometimes don't get it. Look even at the Kimbo Slice movies. When he fights chumps in the backyard he helps them up, shakes their hand, sees if they are alright.

And you're using THIS to justify why 6 year olds should be allowed to take part in MMA competitions. Doing so would set back the development of MMA about 3 decades and quite rightly so.

The other concern I have with MMA is that while you watch UFC, Pride, etc. at events/meetings that are professionally run with full medical teams and experienced referees, the undermarket is not so pleasant.

I have been to MMA events where the practitioners were amateurish and mis-matched, the referee's stopping fights reluctantly and only when the crowds blood lust was satisfied, totally inept medical coverage, and more fights in the audience than in the cage.

I don't believe you can judge a element purely by looking at the elite level. Scratch the surface and sometimes you're not pleased with what you find.

#391004 - 04/15/08 06:10 PM Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA [Re: JohnL]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
While I still think Hannity did a terrible job with this story, here is MMA shooting itself in the foot:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15994723

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga