FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#390303 - 04/05/08 09:24 PM Enough with the pointless posts
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
Hey everyone,

So I havent been on this site for too long (only about a year or so). However, throughout that time I have read a countless number of pointless and unhelpful posts. The kind of posts that are just to increase the usernames post count. Many of you put sarcasm in EVERY post, and it is getting really old. "Main difference? Muay Thai guys wear those kinky little shorts."-EXACTLY

When someone asks for help, they should get help. Now obviously some people ask dumb and obvious questions; however, there is no need to make that topic even more dense. How about you give real help? If you dont know how to answer the question, then DONT. You dont have to have an answer for every topic on every thread.

ONLY MATTJ CAN PULL THAT OFF LOL

#390304 - 04/06/08 01:36 PM Re: Enough with the pointless posts [Re: WhiteDragon11]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Whitedragon, as it is me you ar referring to then why not write to me directly? I don't bite (even if you are wearing the kinky shorts ). I think you might find the sarcasm of that post was because the same question was posted in both the KB forum and the TKD/KOREAN forum (although not by the same poster, I later noticed).

Now I don't actually answer every topic on every thread, nor do I use sarcasm in every post. but occasionally I like to add some bizarre humour and see who bites. Sometimes it is just to lighten the mood.

Also, if I may quote someone from the "What's wrong with government thread"

Quote:

Alright, if you want to sound "legit" then at least use proper grammar. We could have some man talking about the end of Christmas forever, and we might give him more belief then your getting. No one is going to believe someone that doesnt know how to use punctuation. That is your first mistake.

Why add to a dumb thread and why use such sarcasm... is it an MA topic or a grammar topic?

Edited by trevek (04/06/08 01:57 PM)

#390305 - 04/06/08 02:03 PM Re: Enough with the pointless posts [Re: trevek]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
Well this wasnt to use directly, at all. I was just referring to your post, to show the sarcasm in posts made by various people. Nothing personal, it was just an example I was using.

Alright I was a little sarcastic but I was trying to show the extremes of using grammar. Your right, I shouldve put that in the grammar topic

#390306 - 04/06/08 02:23 PM Re: Enough with the pointless posts [Re: WhiteDragon11]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
he deserved it anyway, it was a dumb post

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#390307 - 04/06/08 10:33 PM Re: Enough with the pointless posts [Re: trevek]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
No harm in having some fun with the threads. It is part of what gives this site it's "personality". I agree that it shouldn't get completely out of hand, but it rarely does.

#390308 - 04/06/08 10:39 PM Re: Enough with the pointless posts [Re: WhiteDragon11]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Hey everyone,

So I havent been on this site for too long (only about a year or so). However, throughout that time I have read a countless number of pointless and unhelpful posts. The kind of posts that are just to increase the usernames post count. Many of you put sarcasm in EVERY post, and it is getting really old.

yeah, I see what you mean:
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15993604

#390309 - 04/06/08 10:55 PM Re: Enough with the pointless posts [Re: Ed_Morris]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Quote:

Quote:

Hey everyone,

So I havent been on this site for too long (only about a year or so). However, throughout that time I have read a countless number of pointless and unhelpful posts. The kind of posts that are just to increase the usernames post count. Many of you put sarcasm in EVERY post, and it is getting really old.

yeah, I see what you mean:
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15993604

I may not be up on the young people's lingo, but I'm pretty sure that's what's called getting "PWN3D"

#390310 - 04/06/08 11:02 PM Re: Enough with the pointless posts [Re: Ed_Morris]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
I disagree that the sarcasm rarely gets "completely out of hand". Of course, there is a large difference between what I subjectively perceive as "out of hand", Matt, vs how you may perceive the same thread. Therein, is the point. Face to face with someone you know, you can get away with a near lethal dose of sarcasm with no dire consequences. However, on a forum with new comers, new martial artists, people trying out different forum areas, sarcasm can be intimidating or at least rude. If it gives the site "personality", that may not be a good thing. I left a moderatorship because of the sarcasm and rudeness. I know of several other people who either posted a couple of times and left the forum, or who read for short while choosing not to post and then gave up on the site. This site is seen by some at least, as not very friendly.

Another thing that happens with sarcasm, is that as a moderator, I got private e-mails from people who preferred to get a private and respectful answer to an honest question rather than risk the sarcasm on the forum. No one should feel uncomfortable posting as long as the post is honest information seeking, honest sharing or an attempt to be helpful.

#390311 - 04/06/08 11:09 PM Re: Enough with the pointless posts [Re: underdog]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Rose,

I've been trying to find a way to state exactly that, but you've put it more eloquently than I could have.

Well said.

Let's remember to "wear the kid gloves" with newcomers, until they get their feet wet, shall we?

#390312 - 04/06/08 11:17 PM Re: Enough with the pointless posts [Re: underdog]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Rosanne -

With all due respect, most of the subjects you have encountered sarcasm on are very controversial to begin with. Subjects like say.....a 16 year old with very limited training, trying to create a new martial arts style, are going to be controversial to many (more experienced) martial artists here. Many of them would see such a post as not terribly serious, and treat it as such in response.

Subjects like ki/chi, dim mak and other unprovable/controversial material are automatically questionable to many minds here. Sarcasm/disbelief are inevitable, especially when there is a lack of solid proof, or just a poor argument on the part of one side.

Such is the nature of a public forum.

EDIT -

I do agree with Zombie, that the Beginner's Forum should be a no-sarcasm zone. But once their out in the wild, it's open season.

Edited by MattJ (04/06/08 11:20 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga