FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#389343 - 04/02/08 10:28 AM Re: getting along in a very small dojo [Re: Taison]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

I'd say, go to where you'll develop. Trudging in one place for too long is a waste of time.

Quote for truth. Very good advice.

#389344 - 04/02/08 10:44 AM Re: getting along in a very small dojo [Re: MattJ]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I was trained in a small dojo, one of the problems that I have with my present students is they want to get everything from the dojo. I found that the dojo gives you the tools and you have to sharpen them what I did as young 4th kyu - Shodan was to train with others at the same level from different gyms.

I'd also test or train against street fighters, wrestlers and boxers usually buddies that were interesting in training some joined our dojo. Personally I don't think dojo training is going to give you all you need to be aware of all the possibilities. I think you can train in a small dojo and still gain skills through repetition but u have to test your results.

Now in a large dojo you have different sizes and speeds and toughness but they are all fighting is a similar style or method.

Even now when we try to mimmick boxers, street fighters or wrestlers or JJ guys its different then train against a person that really fights this style + & -.

At a basic level you need to build your basic at certain point you want and need variety and versitilty that one dojo won't give you, if trained in a Traditional way.

The dojo plants the seeds you must water it so that it grows. IMHO.

#389345 - 04/02/08 01:30 PM Re: getting along in a very small dojo [Re: Neko456]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I train in a small dojang and yes personalities can get in the way however I find if it takes away from your training and you are not having fun then it is time to move on. Be honest with yourself because when it all boils down it is "your" life.

As you've provided limited information I wonder if your Instructor is keeping control of the class. I know for myself that nobody speaks out of turn and nobody laughs at other individuals. Correction of any student is usually followed up by the Instructor or higher Dans. Also as a student it is always good to question even the Instructor otherwise you limit your learning.

In all honestly, for my training a lot of the reasons why I continue is because of the people. The people I have made special bonds with and enjoy training with is what spurs me to continue training. If that changes I won't be there anymore. I love/hate my weight lifting and even without martial arts I would continue to do this as I was doing it before ... that is "me" time. Training in martial arts is wonderful and if not fun then I would leave and if I didn't decide to pick something up immediately (or at all), I would still have my weight lifting. Don't get me wrong, I love other aspects of the training ... and dislike some ... and that also keeps me coming back but the atmosphere is a very important factor for "fun" level and cannot be forgotten.

Again, do what is right for you. Be honest to your Instructor but be honest with yourself.

#389346 - 04/02/08 05:47 PM Re: getting along in a very small dojo [Re: Dereck]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Dereck,
You make me feel like Crocadile Dundee...

That's nawt ah small dojang...

This is ah small dojang!!!

To the O.P.Big or small there will be conflicts and issues to deal with. I have brought many concerns I have had over the years to the forum. Some have been addressed publicly and some privately. It can be a good place for advice. Sometimes it just helps to voice what is on your mind. Good luck working out your concerns.

#389347 - 04/02/08 05:59 PM Re: getting along in a very small dojo [Re: oldman]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
good one Mark.

When I think of the dojang I also think of the amount of people and most certainly you would win. We don't have a large group anymore and it is dwindling. Getting new students is rather difficult especially for adults. During the late afternoon there is still a good amount of children but the early evening for youths is in decline and adults are even worse for the late class. It is sad as I remember a good amount of people and those that have stuck are the basis of the school. Pretty bad when our black belt line has more people then our colored belt line; and there are never more then 8 black belts and usually less attending.

#389348 - 04/03/08 12:00 AM Re: getting along in a very small dojo [Re: Dereck]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

ditto, that aint' small dereck..I am soo jealous...

#389349 - 04/03/08 06:56 AM Re: getting along in a very small dojo [Re: Dereck]
chofukainoa Offline

Loc: tokyo, japan
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

As for the question about my sensei, a lot of times the problems are happening in kumite, when sensei is also participating with each student in turn. I don't expect him to notice everything.

That said, he usually only speaks harshly towards adults if they are doing something dangerous. The general attitude is that they have to be responsible for themselves. His style is to make good examples of others through praise, but personally I think sometimes that can lead to jealousy, maybe more so in Japan where people hide so many emotions.

He is much harder on the younger students, but still does not deal out "punishment" such as pushups. Outside of school martial arts clubs, I think such tactics are pretty rare in Japan nowadays because people would just quit or parents would complain.

The father's laughing at people happens behind their backs usually or in snide comments to other students. I made it pretty clear at one point that I wasn't interested in hearing it.

Although I have to say that some laughter is culturally different...like if you fall down or hurt yourself anywhere in Japan, the people you are with are likely to laugh even if they are your friends. It used to really get on my nerves. Actually, it still does!

Anyway, I have already told sensei I might have to start going to the other branch sometimes because of work conflicts (this is actually not a lie), and he offered to give me rides there because he passes through my neighborhood on the way. So I guess it is not really going to be a problem. I think maybe I was overconcerned about cultural differences.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga