FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#388779 - 04/16/08 10:14 AM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: JMWcorwin]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Its WAAAAAAAY outside of the "box". Consider putting them in a circle and literally asking for ideas from the kids? Consider asking the parents what THEY wish you to do with their children if/when they misbehave....

Shoji you are NOT alone in this particular nightmare .
I've had good results placing them boy girl, boy girl. Some children must be in the middle of your line directing (sic. ONLY) in front of you. Either side of the child put older kids, if there is only one being disruptive.

If they are young, you may have to use behavior modification 101 techinques. GIve us an idea whats happening I'm sure that I and others will have suggestions...

Jeff

#388780 - 04/16/08 10:17 AM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: TKD_X]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello TKD X:

Where did Matt J post his syllibi ?

Jeff

#388781 - 04/16/08 08:44 PM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: Ronin1966]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
he posted it as a link to another thread in his reply. it's first reply.

#388782 - 04/24/08 08:23 PM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: TKD_X]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Keep them VERY busy! Chop the work up into little sections and give them lots of variety to keep their attention.

Move them apart so they can't touch each other & use the 3 strikes rule. 1 strike pressups, 2 strikes more pressups, 3 strikes off the floor.

Keep the learning sessions short and if they behave well they are allowed a game before the end of class - we use dodgeball or a martial related drill of some sort.

Knee boxing is good - kids go into low shiko dachi, facing a partner, object is to lightly slap your opponents knee from the inside or outside while maintaining the stance and protecting your own knees. Run it like a regular sparring session in 1-2m in rounds and then swap partners.

Get them to tell you what they should be doing if you've given them a task to do. That way you will see if your explanation is at the right level for their comprehension.

#388783 - 04/25/08 01:12 AM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: Reiki]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Getting little children to explain anything requires some serious "fences" if you want those explainations to be remotely coherent... IMHE. Earnest question, when can you hold them to 1 strike versus those extras... (ie I'm a teacher not a baby sitter... I'd like them to be respectful and not ignore me merely because they know they get two more chances before consequences...) There is a "line", but I don't know intellectiually where it realistically is drawn per se...

How do you prevent the time being purely "games"? ie they don't care about the training merely WANT the games....
(sic, entertained)

Jeff

#388784 - 05/04/08 08:38 AM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: TKD_X]
jeff_andle Offline

Loc: Falmouth, Maine USA
Quote:

... i wouldn't think you want them to go home and cry about the mean karate teacher who made them do pushups. then word gets out that your too strict and things get complicated. ....

semi-jokingly -- the worst that might happen is that you get 100 more priveledged kids whose parents discovered someone to discipline their kids for them...

seriously though, this is a tight-rope walk that I am all too familar with. If I leant the right dance on the wire I'll be sure to share it.

#388785 - 05/05/08 08:22 AM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: jeff_andle]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Jeff andle:

IYO it is honestly OUR job to teach children in our classes "discipline"? IMNSHO that's wishful thinking sire.... Consider, myself I only get them for an hour total, once a week. If really, really lucky maybe twice. The rest of their time is with other teachers, mommy & daddy the majority of their life. Disciplining/discipline (IMHO-fwiw) is mommy & daddy's respective job not mine....

Raising children is a parents job, teaching them is ours. I can only support, hopefully reinforce what they come to us with... if they don't get it at home, what chance do any of us have... ? ~...Sure... here is a total "alien" concept d-i-s-c-i-p-l-i-n-e take it home and try it out... see if your parents like it...~ Now, I can give them a structured environment... and teach them about SELF discipline but "discipline" = a ridicilously melodramatic environment more often than not and is irrelevent to the actual goal ie self-discipline.

Merely my opinion , I could surely be mistaken,

Jeff

#388786 - 05/07/08 07:19 PM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: DojiSan]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
I think the heart of your problem is contained within your question: your students are five to nine years old.

There is a widespread belief that getting kids into a sport early, be it MAs or gymnastics or whatever, means they will be sure to excel. Well, maybe. Particularly if you are working with them on on one. But the truth is most 5 to 9 years old lack the physical coordination, intellectual maturity, and attentional rsources to get much out of MA training.

Even the most experienced MA instructors end up with schools overrun by near-toddler who have no business being there. They are a de facto baby sitting service.

#388787 - 05/08/08 07:20 AM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: fileboy2002]
penquin Offline

Loc: Kimberly, WI, USA
As a parent I try to encourage my kids to behave in class. My son wants to spar (he is 7.75 years old) We (me and the instructor) use this as a goal for my son. The instructor wears him down physically through push ups, crunches, and various MA drills. At home we have him as Junior instructor to my daughter (she is 4.75 years old) While I help with Mom, he does the same thing with my daughter. (front kicks, side kicks, punch combos) During these training sessions he doesn't goof off he is serious and he actually shines as a junior instructor. Maybe you can use some junior instructors in your dojo.

#388788 - 05/11/08 08:12 PM Re: How to handle kids with little self control [Re: Ronin1966]
jeff_andle Offline

Loc: Falmouth, Maine USA
Quote:

Hello Jeff andle:

IYO it is honestly OUR job to teach children in our classes "discipline"? IMNSHO that's wishful thinking sire.... Consider, myself I only get them for an hour total, once a week. If really, really lucky maybe twice. The rest of their time is with other teachers, mommy & daddy the majority of their life. Disciplining/discipline (IMHO-fwiw) is mommy & daddy's respective job not mine....

Raising children is a parents job, teaching them is ours. I can only support, hopefully reinforce what they come to us with... if they don't get it at home, what chance do any of us have... ? ~...Sure... here is a total "alien" concept d-i-s-c-i-p-l-i-n-e take it home and try it out... see if your parents like it...~ Now, I can give them a structured environment... and teach them about SELF discipline but "discipline" = a ridicilously melodramatic environment more often than not and is irrelevent to the actual goal ie self-discipline.

Merely my opinion , I could surely be mistaken,

Jeff

Jeff,

I don't think for a minute that it is our job to be parents (of other people's kids), but - MA or anywhere else in the world - it is our moral imperative to instill better values into each and every open mind that we encounter.

I certainly feel that it is a part of what I am there to do. Parents generally stay so maybe they see something that might work or that they can play off of...

... and some you just have to let go of so the rest CAN have a structured environment.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga