FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#388341 - 03/26/08 10:09 PM Shakuhachi?
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Loc: Fallon, Nevada
I have recently started looking into this obscure Japanese woodwind and was curious if anyone else had done so yet and what they had found? I found these links: shakuhachi and others , a vendor and international society . I was surprised to hear how deep they sound because the only reference instrument I had heard that looked like one was a pennywhistle. Anyone here play or have some good music suggestions etc..?

#388342 - 04/04/08 06:30 AM Re: Shakuhachi? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
Tashigae Offline
Mister Bendy

Loc: Samarobriva, Gallia
"Obscure Japanese woodwind"?
Shakuhachi is THE Japanese woodwind!
I personally play the xiao , which is its Chinese equivalent (and origin). It's a particularly difficult flute to play, and I'm far from being brilliant at it.
But its rich, deep sound is just beautiful... In China, it's considered as the most noble wind, and usually the only instrument to be allowed within the intimacy of China's most emblematic instrument, the guqin (although, as in Japan, it remains a mostly solo instrument).
I have loads of Asian music on my hard disk, including some very good shakuhachi . If you're interested, just PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

#388343 - 04/06/08 02:19 PM Re: Shakuhachi? [Re: Tashigae]
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Perhaps, a poor choice of words on my part. My favorite instruments are woodwinds and I play the western concert flute myself. I have sent you a pm, thanks in advance.

#388344 - 04/07/08 07:56 AM Re: Shakuhachi? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
Tashigae Offline
Mister Bendy

Quote:

My favorite instruments are woodwinds and I play the western concert flute myself.

Then you might be interested in trying out the Chinese transverse flute, called the dizi . It's usually made of bamboo, but one of its varieties, called the tiedi, is entirely made of metal and relatively heavy. The reason for it is, that flute used to be meant as both a musical instrument AND a self-defense weapon. I personally own one that has the additional characteristic of a short blade fitted on one end, concealed by a removable segment of the flute (now how ninja-like is THAT? ). Because it's made of metal, its sound is very similar to that of your own instrument. Another Chinese transverse flute whose sound I particularly like is the bawu, but it has a lot less in common with the western concert flute (it's a free reed).

Some day I'll take pictures of all my Chinese woodwinds and post them. Too bad I can't put samples of how they sound as well...

#388345 - 04/08/08 12:12 PM Re: Shakuhachi? [Re: Tashigae]
JoshuaMonjin Offline

That is cool, I will have to do some research on it, perfect for a travelling minstrel. Are there some good links out there in english for info on all of this? What would be cool would be to find a duet piece and I could play and record with my flute, you could do the same for the xiao then we could combine tracks into a single piece. Might be an interesting project, time permitting.

#388346 - 04/08/08 12:22 PM Re: Shakuhachi? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
As part of my video business I worked on a project for the 2005 New York Shakuhachi Festival and have since been associated with a really fine Shakuhachi teacher Ronnie Seldin in NY

If interested, you can buy the DVDs and other items at this site. http://www.nyogetsu.com/

I love the shakuhachi and wish I had the time to learn more about it. The history, when the only people permitted to play it were ronin samurai who became priests, is very closely intertwined with our martial arts.

#388347 - 04/08/08 04:57 PM Re: Shakuhachi? [Re: JAMJTX]
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Thanks for the link JAMJTX. What is the distance learning stuff like, do you do that?

#388348 - 04/08/08 05:47 PM Re: Shakuhachi? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
I haven't looked into the distance learning. But I am sure anything that Seldin Shihan is involved in is going to be quality.
I was very curious the first time I had contacted him when I found out he held the title of Shihan and his "studio" was called a dojo. All these things I thought that were "martial arts terms" are applied to many different arts.

I hope you can pursue some training with him any way you can. If you make contact, please tell him Jim Mc Coy referred you.

#388349 - 04/09/08 02:18 AM Re: Shakuhachi? [Re: JAMJTX]
JoshuaMonjin Offline

Thank you. I will Jim, I appreciate that. Thanks also for all your help too Tashigae, I very much appreciate all the info, help, and resources you have provided. Domo Arigato

#388350 - 04/09/08 07:06 PM Re: Shakuhachi? [Re: JoshuaMonjin]
Tashigae Offline
Mister Bendy

Quote:

Are there some good links out there in english for info on all of this?

Wikipedia has a series of pretty good articles on Chinese winds. Here are some links:

Xiao
Dizi
Bawu
Hulusi
Xun
Suona
Sheng

The dizi, I think, should particularly interest you as a player of Western concert flute, since it's the closest one - technique-wise. It's basically a transverse flute made of bamboo (although, as I said earlier, some can be made of metal or other materials), but its particularity is the extra hole near the one you use to produce the sound. That hole is meant to be covered by a membrane made of a very thin layer of garlic peel, glued there using the juice of the said garlic (makes the flute stink for a few weeks, yes ). When dry, that membrane will vibrate like that of a tiny drum when you play the flute, thus giving a very distinctive sound I find hard to describe (I guess it's not gonna help if I say it makes it sound a bit like the suona? ). I would record myself and send you the file, but to be honest that membrane makes the management of your breathing techniques a lot harder, and since I'm far from having the required skill level for that, I still play the dizi with a simple piece of Scotch-tape instead of the garlic membrane , which is just like not having the hole at all and makes for a much plainer sound (still beautiful in my opinion, but not what it's meant to be).

Quote:

What would be cool would be to find a duet piece and I could play and record with my flute, you could do the same for the xiao then we could combine tracks into a single piece. Might be an interesting project, time permitting.

Definitely interested.
That would have to wait a bit because I'm overwhelmed by the flow of my current obligations, but I like the idea. A little problem though: if a traditional piece for a duet of flutes exists, the one thing I'm sure of is that I won't be able to read it. My western music theory is rusty enough, but reading Chinese sheet music is something I'm absolutely incapable of . I'm not sure if western-style translitterations exist for traditional Asian musics...? I'll do a bit of research when I have the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga