FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#387961 - 03/23/08 06:07 PM Tae Kwon Do Uniforms
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: HERE
Today i look at the many different Tae Kwon Do schools and styles and their uniforms/doboks. The diversity is very interesting to observe. I myself have a wide variety of uniforms and i was wondering what styles/colors everyone else wears. what are you favorites? what are their significances? How about your black belts? are they plain? do they have stripes or other embroidery? in what color? do you have patches? i think it would be very interesting to see what other systems wear. i didn't see any other threads like this so i thought it would be cool to share experiences.

#387962 - 03/23/08 06:08 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms [Re: TKD_X]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

I personally own a traditional white jacket-style dobok with black striping, a white adidas uniform with a black lapel and some striping, and a black traditional jacket-style dobok. my blackbelt is of course black with my name and my school's name in english gold letters on the right side (looking down at the belt) and han moo kwan tae kwon do written in korean (i want to say the official name is hangul, forgive me if i'm wrong) and when you obtain higher than 1st dan, the dan is noted by stripes that are diagonal (also in gold) on the left side of the belt. masters have a gold stripe that runs the length of the belt, grandmastrers have two. on the left shoulder is the american flag patch. south korean flag is on the right. school patch on the left chest, federation patch on the right. i sound like a taekwondo billboard haha. how about you?

#387963 - 03/23/08 06:19 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms [Re: TKD_X]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I had a traditional wrap-over 'gi' style and then the org i belonged to startedwith stupid V-necks which were designed to look like wrap-overs (with a seam across the body). Eventually i just bought WTF one which suits everyone.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#387964 - 03/23/08 06:28 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms [Re: trevek]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

is that how those v-necks work? haha. i don't think i would like them either. as our federation is based in original ITF, the official uniform is the white wrapover style. however some people have the pull-over WTF-style doboks because they prefer the style. and i forgot to mention, as i just learned this recently, the official master's uniform is traditional wrapover style with black striping too, but it is gray instead of white. the wrapovers are often reserved more for exams and other official events. for training we tend to go for lighter uniforms like the adidas WTF style in the summer and black wrapover in the winter. i find the diversity so interesting.

#387965 - 03/24/08 01:01 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms [Re: TKD_X]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

The wrap over top (shirt) called Jeogori in Korean (yes Hangul is the word for the Korean alphabet characters) is a throw back to Karate, as is the double wrap belt (Ti in Korean) to Judo, for grabbing & maintaining a grip on your opponent. The original 4 belt colors were also from karate. The original pants (Baji in Korean) were high waters, with the pants leg cuff going up to almost mid calf. Again a throw back to Japanese Karate.

This is another instance of how understanding history shows us how we got to where we are today & why. Please remember the Koreans have deep resentment to the Japanese, due to the brutal occupation for a half a century.

The correct English term for the TKD DoBok is practice suit, as that is what you put on to practice TKD. As the Korean leaders of the TKD movement wanted to distinguish themselves from the hated Japanese & their Karate, they looked to also modify the DoBok. The belt colors went from 4 to 6. The colors were steeped in Korean tradition. In fact, the 5 colors of the gup ranks are also on the Korean Tourism Agency official symbol. Black, red & blue denote various levels of hierarchy during both the Silla & Koruryo dynasties. A half white/black is for a Jr BB (13yoa). All of the colors of our belts have specific meanings. We also wrap our belts around just once. Which signifies the 1 founder, 1 MA of TKD & goal in fighting is to win with a single blow. BB ranks use roman numerals on the right, which I love, as I can never count all those strips, especially when the are moving & a high Dan. The letters ITF can go on the left & you may add your name to your belt.

The style of the DoBok is symbolic of TKD heritage & tradition. The ranks & classification are easy to see from the colors & roman numerals for the Dans, as well as the pipings or black trim. The practice suit, both Jeogori & Baji must be white in color to symbolize the traditional color of the Korean costume. BBs wear black trim along the bottom edge of the shirt. Certified International Instructors, 4th Dan & above wear black trim down the pants legs & shirt sleeves. A 4th Dan & above who is not a certified II may only wear the black piping on the pants legs.

The ITF patch is worn over the left breast, with the letters ITF above the patch. School patch or national patch can go on the right side. National flag can go on the arm, with the remaining arm used for either the school or national patch. The only required one is the ITF.
On the back of the shirt is the TKD evergreen tree which symbolizes long life. It is shaped by TKD in English, in a drooped fashion to symbolize humility. The trunk of the tree is TKD in Korean HanGul characters. The shirt is joined in the middle by zipper or velcro to help prevent the shirt from becoming undone & to be different from the karate Gi string ties on the sides.
On the pants legs, ITF is at the knee with TKD in Korean below. There are also 4 different instructor shoulder flashes on a yellow base with various colors that distinguish the 4 types of instructors, asst, II, master & GM, with colors indicating their responsibilites as instructors. When placed on the shoulders of the DoBok, they give a sharp military look, much like the bars of Military commissioned officers.

The major changes to the DoBok came in 1980 & the latest in Jan 2002. Only the ITF-NK adheres to these latest (minor) updates.

The WTF has come out with the V Neck, which I like, as it also seperates them from karate Gis & prevents the top from becoming undone during competition/training.

#387966 - 03/24/08 01:03 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms [Re: TKD_X]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

on the left shoulder is the american flag patch. south korean flag is on the right.

Are you Korean?

#387967 - 03/24/08 01:37 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms [Re: TKD_X]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Our Taekwondo uniforms are white and are V-necks. With black belts our uniforms the V-neck has black trim. With the colored belt uniforms there is the school logo on the back and once they become a yellow belt they are given a patch to sew onto their uniform that sits on the left chest. For black belt there is a black embroidered school logo on the left chest only; nothing on the back.

As for belts, the colored belts have nothing on them. For black belts our name is on them and some will also have the schools name as well; some will have your name in Korean. My belt has my name which I wear on the left and then in Korean our school name on the right. My grappling gi however is just white with no markings.

#387968 - 03/24/08 04:33 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms [Re: ITFunity]
TKD_X Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Quote:

on the left shoulder is the american flag patch. south korean flag is on the right.

Are you Korean?

No, i was told that we wear the American flag on the left shoulder because it is closer to your heart. i suppose the korean flag is on the right because the left was taken

I didn't know that official ITF uses single-wrap belts. very interesting. my system is double wrap. however we are not necessarily to be considered ITF. Over the years our federation has had associations with the WTF and the ATA as well. now we are just the Pan American TKD federation.

#387969 - 03/24/08 06:21 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms [Re: TKD_X]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Our belts are double wrapped.

#387970 - 03/24/08 06:31 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms [Re: TKD_X]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Yes the ITF is supposed to have just single wrap belts, and I have a long winded reason why in my book somewhere- I'll get it out if you really want. However, I really don't think it matters much. The kids or women often have them wrapped twice if the belt is too long and I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it.

At my TKD school, I wear an official ITF dobok, with the bit on the back, black trimming for dan ranks, and the ITF symbol on the left breast. No flags, which is as much an English sensibility thing as anything else; no school badge, don't think there is such a thing to be honest! It is held together with Velcro, which I much prefer to the zip I used to have.

My judo gi is plain white, no logos, no flags, no markings whatsoever. Belt is double-wrap. Suit is open and really thick, because it has to take all that grappling punishment. The thing always comes loose when I'm doing randori, to uncover my manly chest lol.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga