FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#387707 - 03/21/08 03:19 PM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: JAMJTX]
ttruscott Offline
Annoying ex-Member who tries to advertise on every post

Loc: BC Canada
As one old hippy to another, I've gotten great gains from Chen Taiji and

with the South Beach Diet.

#387708 - 03/22/08 05:14 PM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: JAMJTX]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Thanks again, guys. Hard to talk to the weight-trainer as I don't think he speaks English at all (and I certainly can't talk technical in Polish).

I'm not really into diets (but thanks anyway) as, at the moment, I am not fully in control of what food I eat... (don't ask me to explain that!). Suufice to say, I eat what's put in front of me and have little choice if I want a quiet life!

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#387709 - 03/22/08 05:51 PM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: trevek]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
OK here goes.

It is impossible for a joint to generate power. A joint is a a point of articulation between two or more bones. Hinge, modified hinge and ball and socket. A joint only articulates voluntarily with a muscular contraction. The agonistic muscles shorten, 'pulling' from one bone to another via connective tissue. Accompanying anatgonistic muscles lengthen and relax to allow the articulation.

If joints could move without this basic truth, then ailments like MS, conditions like sciatica and drop foot amongst others would cease to exist. Also, the mere attachment of a prosthetic limb to an amputated limb would be enough to create articulation.

You can change the semantics to suit your training all you like. You call it 'hara' I call it the core, but the biomechanics and muscle involvement remain constant no matter what side of the dojo you bow on.

Weight training when done appropriately can help every and any activity. If you look at any, and i mean ANY physical persuit, those involved use resistance training as part of their performance conditioning.

strength and power are the clay, your skill specific training is the sculpting process.

Those who spend all their time gathering clay, and sculpt as an afterthought, never have the end result they could have.

Those who sculpt from limited resources, run short of materials and find their creation inhibited.

Strength training for MA is nothing more than a supplemental activity that should be used in moderation, with a focus on efficiency and performance. This then leaves time and energy to devote to your true interest- your art.

Many lose sight of this and become conflicted bodybuilders, leading to frustration and cries of 'weights make you slow', and 'weights inhibit your flexibility' etc etc.

True strength training and focus on hip, core and power, will not, in any way, disadvantage your MA training, be it internal, external or transcendental.

Ashe Higgs would probably be the best person to address this question as he has modified and incroporated mainstream resistance conditioning into his eastern based power generation philosphies. He has combined the internal with the external, embracing possibility, not negating it through slavish dogma. I have a lot of respect for his methodology, and I hope he finds this thread.

Edited by Cord (03/22/08 06:38 PM)

#387710 - 03/22/08 11:23 PM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: trevek]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
I've seen guys doing bagua with bricks balanced on their hands in books, and other such things. This kind of strength training is maybe different from western weightlifting, but it's still weight training of some sort.

I know Xingyi and Bagua sometimes use methods like this, is there nothing similar in Taiji?

#387711 - 03/23/08 10:49 AM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: trevek]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

The thing is my Sifu commented that weights, curls, crunches etc are not really the most beneficial type of training for the TC.

Any comments?

My thougth and my rants.

Weight training. A slim built guy with a vice like grip by the looks of his forearms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZhS4WWlFc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejIyjIwtHjY&NR=1

I think this guy does tai chi??

I see Okinanwans at 79 years old still fit training hard , part of their routine is weight training.

Regards losing fat. I find sprint training to be the best.
But like anything else it has to be worked up to.
I can eat beef and lose the fat in a matter of days, but I think it is a case of getting a persons fat levels down first, but that takes time and slower workouts.

P.s a healthy diet would be great. I eat what I want within reason and just burn it off.

Ice cream
Beef
veg, mash, micro wave meals, bread,
sometimes fish and chips though its got to be done in veg oil.
Coffee
diat coke

I am getting hungry again!!!

Jude

Edited by jude33 (03/23/08 11:14 AM)

#387712 - 03/23/08 09:16 PM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: jude33]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
@Cord - good post!

#387713 - 03/24/08 02:57 PM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: JAMJTX]
ttruscott Offline
Annoying ex-Member who tries to advertise on every post

Loc: BC Canada
truscott, you have been informed repeatedly that these links are against forum rules, as they are advertising.

No more or you will be banned.

Edited by Cord (03/25/08 12:13 AM)

#387714 - 04/05/08 09:57 PM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: Zach_Zinn]
retsamdloneknurd Offline

just a few thoughts. some tai chi masters advocate hopping out of bed in the morning and beginning practice right away. it really does set up your day well and for me the time usually goes very quickly. sip green tea to keep hydrated and regulate your blood sugar. hunger sometimes comes with lethargy so the exercise and green tea are an excellent combo. i have heard a chinese saying ' brown rice make skinny and fat people both right weight' you can lose a lot fairly quickly on a brown rice fast but it tends to clear out toxins at an alarming rate. to do that safely you might invest in an enema bag! eat some sea weed for minerals and such if you try it. walk! if you have a chen form you can lose weight with it. you have to do it a lot. try to do a certain number a day. repeat single moves a hundred times or so fast and slow.
if you eat anything with any sugar you will be hungry again very soon. eating sugar in the morning be it cereal or with coffee etc. will set up a pattern of consumption for the day. good luck brother.

#387715 - 04/05/08 10:44 PM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: retsamdloneknurd]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

...some tai chi masters advocate hopping out of bed in the morning and beginning practice right away.

This reminds me of the time when I was below 10 when I was told to NOT urinate in the morning and to get the water out through sweat instead. LOL. Perhaps that accounts for my patience. You never knew as the reasons were never told and it might have nothing to do with MA training at all but to train self-control and discipline especially in children.

#387716 - 04/06/08 07:24 AM Re: weights and tai chi [Re: ButterflyPalm]
retsamdloneknurd Offline

you are right. we are all children. what is martial art training but self control and discipline?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga