FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
futsaowingchun 3
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
Today at 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
Today at 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35577 Topics
432497 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#387462 - 03/27/08 01:04 PM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: fileboy2002]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
How is that? Feel free to back your position with some sort of actual documentation. Stamping your feet and screaming "it's not true" over and over doesn't make you right. If i'm wrong then prove me wrong, if not then just accept that you were misinformed and move on.

#387463 - 03/27/08 07:14 PM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: fileboy2002]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Look, all over the country Russians speak Russian, Greeks speak Greek, Poles speak Polish, and NOBODY CARES. But everybody goes ballistuic when Latinos speak Spanish.

Sorry, but I am sick of monolingual, English-speaking white Christians acting like they own the whole @#$% culture. It's like they think the rest of us are not "real" Americans. I speak three languages and will speak any one of them any time I please, and if anyone does not like that it is their @#$% problem.

Wow, touched a nerve there did I?

Listen, you don't know jack sh1t about me so quit talking like you do and quit looping everyone into the same category.

I don't care what language people CAN speak. This is an English speaking country. The language spoken is not the issue, I don't care what it is, spanish or not, it's still rude. That doesn't make me prejudice in the least. If you think it does the you are the one with the problem.

Quote:

and if anyone does not like that it is their @#$% problem.

That's a good attitude. Sounds like a 12yr old. "I have to fart! And if my farting offends you then that's your F"ING problem, deal with it! Don't be telli9ng me it's rude to fart!!! I'll fart if I feel like it no matter where I am!!! Stupid white people!!!"

#387464 - 03/27/08 07:16 PM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: laf7773]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

I have no personal issues with anyone speaking any languages as long as in the work place everyone understands the language being spoken. Meaning if your work place is mostly English then work needs to be conducted in English, at least in the work space. Any public or common areas are fair game.

Thankyou!!!

#387465 - 03/27/08 11:49 PM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: fileboy2002]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

So you stereotype all white monolingual christians cuz of an old fart? An old fart that probably was around during Slavery and segregation and is still stuck in that mind set?

#387466 - 03/28/08 08:25 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: JasonM]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

So you stereotype all white monolingual christians cuz of an old fart?

I am not defending the comment as it falls beyond the scope of civil discourse, but I do understand what is driving emotion.

Christians, as a politcal movement have been pushing the Agenda that this is a 'Christian Country", that there is no separation of Church and state, God's law trumps man's law, this in an English speaking Nation and other similar political messages.

This has caused a build up of resentment toward the 'White Christian" leaders and leads to comments like fileboys.

Fileboy, I think it's important to fight the idea, not the person. You have a valid argument here, you only undermine it with stero typing and personal attacks.

#387467 - 03/28/08 08:41 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: BrianS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Don't be telli9ng me it's rude to fart!!! I'll fart if I feel like it no matter where I am!!! Stupid white people!!!"

I think comparing speaking another language to farting is a childish parallel to make.

You or anyone else has no right to tell people what language to communicate in with the exception of legal dealings.

If McDonalds hires only Polish speaking people and you walk in and can't order a meal you have no right to insist otherwise. They are a private entity, and while it might be bad business for them to operate that way, they are "free" to do so.

You also don't have a right not to be offended, if the sound of polish being spoken bewtween 2 people on the street offends you, too bad, they are "free" to communicate in whatever lauguage they want too.

You do have a right to insist people speak to you in English, or you can take your business elsewhere or ignore them etc.

I think getting angry at people for not knowing English is silly, they hurt themselves far more then they hurt you. Most people I know would love to be fluent in English, it would make their world so much easier. But it's a hard language to learn, and not everyone has the apptitude so it often falls to the next generation.

BTW none of this has to do with illegal immigration, it has to do with other frustrations being misplaced and injected into the immigration issue.

#387468 - 03/28/08 09:40 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: fileboy2002]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Quote:

Look, all over the country Russians speak Russian, Greeks speak Greek, Poles speak Polish, and NOBODY CARES. But everybody goes ballistuic when Latinos speak Spanish.

Quote:

However, I resent it when monolingual people require me to speak "their" language when I am not even talking to them. I took my my 82 year-old Lithuanian grandmother to the grocery store the other day and asked her, in Lithuanian, if she wanted me to pick up some cabbage. Some old fart near us had the gall to frown at me and remind me I was in America and should speak English. Had he been my own age, I would have knocked his @#$% teeth out.

So which is it? Is it an anti-Spanish issue as you have suggested or is it an anti non-English issue? You seem to contradict yourself and i'm still waiting for some sort of proof to back your ideas. Simply saying i need a "refresher" in U.S. law means nothing. The simple fact is you spouted off comments that you thought were true when you really didn't fully understand what you were saying. Just because you heard something or read it in the local news paper doesn't make it law. What you thought an official language was and what it is are two different things. Having English as an official language will not force people to speak English. The sooner you can wrap your head around that the sooner you will understand what i'm trying to explain to you.

I am all for people speaking their native language or any language for that matter as long as it doesn't inhibit work due to communication break downs. I've been in Greece a year and have made every effort to learn as much of the language as i can because i live on the economy and even though most of the locals speak some English i think it's disrespectful for me to insist that they use my language to conduct business. I feel if people want to move to another country that uses a different language they should learn that language and use it when dealing with the locals and not demand we conform to them.

Do you want to know why a lot of people make such a big deal about the Spanish speaking community vise the Polish or Russians? How many companies in the U.S. do you see that hire specifically Polish speaking bilinguals? It's a matter of close minded people being upset that companies are "catering" to the Spanish speaking community more than any other instead of insisting they speak the "local" language (English). This tends to create an outcry of "why are we catering to them and not everyone else?" My personal feeling is if you are here visiting, speak what ever you want. If you are living here for any length of time learn at least enough of the language to get by.

#387469 - 03/28/08 12:01 PM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: laf7773]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

It's a matter of close minded people being upset that companies are "catering" to the Spanish speaking community more than any other instead of insisting they speak the "local" language (English).

Business acts in it's own best interest, and seeing a large uptapped market of spanish speaking people they chose to cater to those customers. Thats free market, thats freedom of choice. Thats America. Forcing the companies or the the people do communicate in English, would be, IMO very UN American.

Not arguing with you Lane, just making an observation and comment about your quote.

#387470 - 03/28/08 11:02 PM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: Kimo2007]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Chemo,

I'm talking about my workplace.

It's rude to move somewhere and refuse to speak the language, plain and simple.

BTW, I have the right to be offended if I feel like it your high and mightyness.

Speaking a FOREIGN language in an ENGLISH speaking country is rude, I don't care who you are.

#387471 - 03/29/08 12:18 PM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: BrianS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

BTW, I have the right to be offended if I feel like it your high and mightyness.

Mighty, yes, high, not anymore make me paranoid. That aside, there is no amendment protecting your right to not be annoyed.

Quote:

Speaking a FOREIGN language in an ENGLISH speaking country is rude, I don't care who you are.

Only if they are talking to you.

Quote:

Chemo,

Does your keybpard have a K and an I? Talk about rude?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga