FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#387452 - 03/23/08 03:38 PM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: fileboy2002]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Just in case there is some confusion as to what an "official language" is...
Quote:

An official language is a language that is given a special legal status in a particular country, state, or other territory. Typically a nation's official language will be the one used in that nation's courts, parliament and administration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_language#cite_note-0

English was already the official language in 30 states and was made the official language of the United States in May of 2006.

#387453 - 03/26/08 04:59 PM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: laf7773]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
Here is a quote from the wiki article you cited:

"The US has no official language"

#387454 - 03/27/08 12:43 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: fileboy2002]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I find it very rude to have hispanics speaking spanish in front of others when they know english. Makes me feel like they are talking about me. I know about %20 of the spanish language, so I can hold a conversation somewhat.

#387455 - 03/27/08 01:20 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: fileboy2002]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

So you're saying wikipedia is more of a credible source than a government site? The fact is wikipedia hasn't been updated to reflect congresses passing of English as the official language. I only referenced the site for the basic definition not for its current relevance. Good try though.

#387456 - 03/27/08 03:16 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: BrianS]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Look, all over the country Russians speak Russian, Greeks speak Greek, Poles speak Polish, and NOBODY CARES. But everybody goes ballistuic when Latinos speak Spanish.

Sorry, but I am sick of monolingual, English-speaking white Christians acting like they own the whole @#$% culture. It's like they think the rest of us are not "real" Americans. I speak three languages and will speak any one of them any time I please, and if anyone does not like that it is their @#$% problem.

#387457 - 03/27/08 03:21 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: laf7773]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

laf7773,

YOU posted the wiki article. Obviously you did not read it very carefully!

I already expalined this before, but I will try one more time. The government document you cited earlier reaffirmed the official status of English WITHIN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. That was already true anyway. It did not make English the official language of the US.

Here's an idea: instead of arguing with me, call up the foreign language office at your local college or university and ask them if English is the official language of the US.

#387458 - 03/27/08 06:03 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: fileboy2002]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Yes i did site wikipedia and yes i did read if truly. Like i said it hasn't been updated to reflect the May 2006 decision by Congress making English the National/official language. What you don't seem to understand or are refusing to acknowledge is that the official language of a country doesn't mean everyone in the country has to speak it. It only means that it is the language used in official government business and legal systems. If YOU had read the article on wikipedia you would understand that. Additionally the amendment i sited did not "reaffirm" anything; there has been a fight since at least the '70s to get that passed.

The issue here is you don't understand what the term "official language" means. There isn't a country in the world that i know of which has and "official language" by your terms. You aren't going to find a country where you MUST speak the local language or else. That will never be the case in the U.S. either. A countries official language is nothing more than the language the government and courts are required to provide documentation in and conduct business in. This doesn't even mean the U.S. government can't provide documentation in another language, only that it doesn't HAVE to. There are however bills that some are trying to get passed that will change the governments requirement to provide bilingual voting, it hasn’t been passed.

I'm going to try to make this as clear for you as i can.

Quote:

Typically a nation's official language will be the one used in that nation's courts, parliament and administration.

This was made legal for English in the U.S. in May of 2006.

Quote:

Originally posted by fileboy2002: The government document you cited earlier reaffirmed the official status of English WITHIN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

So if you’re going to “reaffirm” what I have said how is it you don’t get it?

I’ll recap for you. The official and national language for the U.S. IS English, this IS a new thing and no it doesn’t mean everyone in the country has to speak it. All it means is our courts and government business/documents have to be in English, but doesn’t restrict them to only the use of English.

By the way, the only university even close to me is a technical university…in GREECE. Pay attention, I’m not state side.

I have no personal issues with anyone speaking any languages as long as in the work place everyone understands the language being spoken. Meaning if your work place is mostly English then work needs to be conducted in English, at least in the work space. Any public or common areas are fair game.

#387459 - 03/27/08 06:50 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: laf7773]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I have no personal issues with anyone speaking any languages as long as in the work place everyone understands the language being spoken. Meaning if your work place is mostly English then work needs to be conducted in English, at least in the work space. Any public or common areas are fair game.

Definitely agree.

File..boy, whatever you want to be called. Happy ya speak three languages, but what ticks me off is that in a customer oriented field the person can't even communicate. Try ordering from Burger King or McDonalds on Northern VA. It all about communication, and if you want to be here, ya should be able to communicate and that is in English. When i was stationed in Korea I learned Korean. I was in their country, so I communicated in their language. When I was in Panama, it was Spanish and in Germany it was German, I think you get the point.

Don't come in here running at the mouth about white people trying to make it a whole perfect, English speaking race. I think if you are here, you need to speak the language. What you do in your home your business, what you do with another person speaking the same language your business too. If you are going to be a citizen here, speak the language. I don't think that is asking too much...

#387460 - 03/27/08 11:06 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: JasonM]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

JasonM, what you bring up is a different issue.

If a person needs to communicate in a job setting and is unable to do so, that person is arguably not qualified for the job.

However, I resent it when monolingual people require me to speak "their" language when I am not even talking to them. I took my my 82 year-old Lithuanian grandmother to the grocery store the other day and asked her, in Lithuanian, if she wanted me to pick up some cabbage. Some old fart near us had the gall to frown at me and remind me I was in America and should speak English. Had he been my own age, I would have knocked his @#$% teeth out.

And please don't go ballistic just because I mentioned race (I am a white person, incidently). Yes, I know we are all supposed to pretend race is irrelevant in America, but I just cannot lie to myself that way.

#387461 - 03/27/08 11:07 AM Re: Posse Comitatus [Re: laf7773]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

You need a refresher is US law. Talk to me again when you get one.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga