FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#387418 - 03/20/08 02:40 AM Full contact or point sparring??
GojuRyuboy13 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: U.S. of A.
Which do you perfer and why?

I have never been to a full contact tournament. I have seen videos but that's it. I might be able to go to one next month but I don't want to participate. I have been to two point sparring tournaments and participated in one. A waste of time and money I think. I got the experience if competeing but I got first place after sparring one guy. Come on, there was only three people in my division so I only got to fight one person. I was ready to just jump up and offer to pay to let me fight in the next weight class.

I didn't really like that point sparring tournament because some people lose the flavor of anything they have been trained and they stand there with their leg up and chambered ready to kick the second you get close enough.

I don't know, I don't like judging things but I'm just saying that the experience I got from the tournament wasn't good.

#387419 - 03/20/08 05:46 AM Re: Full contact or point sparring?? [Re: GojuRyuboy13]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Full contact point sparring via Bogu system.
We wear head, chest and groin protectors. The contact is made full force.

After making contact in 'good waza conditions'(proper technique) a point is awarded.
Duration 2x 2 minute rounds (1minute extra when even).

So basically you can get hit full force several times, without points being awarded.

#387420 - 03/20/08 07:33 AM Re: Full contact or point sparring?? [Re: Ives]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Contact for certain, although I have never competed in full contact. Point tourneys are the worst.

#387421 - 03/20/08 09:43 AM Re: Full contact or point sparring?? [Re: MattJ]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
We have a continuous point competition at our tournaments, which is one step up from stop point. For black belts, two 2 minute rounds. The nice thing is that it is continuous, which is more realistic, and more striking techniques are allowed than in Olympic or full contact sparring. The contact level is a bit harder than point as well, although we aren't trying to knock out the other person. Good for some nice bruises at least.

As far as lack of competition goes, get used to it. I rarely have a lot of competition at local tournaments. A four person division is huge. But thats what you get when you live in Vermont.

Laura

#387422 - 03/20/08 11:42 AM Re: Full contact or point sparring?? [Re: GojuRyuboy13]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
Quote:

I didn't really like that point sparring tournament because some people lose the flavor of anything they have been trained and they stand there with their leg up and chambered ready to kick the second you get close enough.

YES!!! Thankyou for adding that. I cant stand point-sparring because it doesnt prove anything, when it comes to martial arts. Its more of a balance competition, who can keep their leg up the longest. What martial art focuses on this? NONE... so whats the point, to get a medal?

I would definately prefer full contact. However, I have never participated in a full contact match, so this is more of a guess. I prefer medium contact, since this is what we do at my school. Personally, I dont like tournaments at all, since there are way to many rules added to it.

#387423 - 03/20/08 11:56 AM Re: Full contact or point sparring?? [Re: WhiteDragon11]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Full contact is great until you get knocked out.

I've only ever been in one FC tourney and although I got KOed and my parents pulled me out of tournaments (I was 14 at the time) I'd recommend them to anyone interested.

#387424 - 03/20/08 12:50 PM Re: Full contact or point sparring?? [Re: WhiteDragon11]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I cant stand point-sparring because it doesnt prove anything, when it comes to martial arts. Its more of a balance competition, who can keep their leg up the longest. What martial art focuses on this? NONE... so whats the point, to get a medal?

While there is no question there is truth to point sparring often a game of tag, the point has been grossly overstated.

Personally I have not point sparred since the 80's but I can assure there were many tounaments that were no where near games of tag, it all depended on the organizer and often the center referee.

The concept was the blow had to be a fight ending/defining blow to count as a point, not a tap from a floppy round house as everyone loves to say.

As the sport grew and became more family friendly, there is no denying that in many circles point fighting was watered down to a game of tag, and thats the example everyone likes to reference when they completley dismiss a generation of combat sport.

That said, full contact is fine, but it's a false sense of combat as well. Getting tagged in the head with head gear and hand pads, is not really "full contact" it's full impact (kinda). Does it have value, of course but it's just another form of sport combat. It's as good or as bad as the people who are doing it.

Also, keep in mind point fighting was done with little or no padding back in the day and a medium strike to the head was as or more realistic to both fighters then a full contact strike with head gear and pads.

Personally I think either combat sport is fine when run by the right people or both can be junk if run by the wrong people.

I am just tired of hearing people say "I fight full contact" then walk onto the mat dressed like the stay puff marshmellow man.

-Kimo

Edited by Kimo2007 (03/20/08 12:50 PM)

#387425 - 03/20/08 01:07 PM Re: Full contact or point sparring?? [Re: Kimo2007]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
Well I guess I was talking about point sparring today. Since I didnt know how it originated.

"I am just tired of hearing people say "I fight full contact" then walk onto the mat dressed like the stay puff marshmellow man."

Nice simile

#387426 - 03/20/08 02:07 PM Re: Full contact or point sparring?? [Re: Kimo2007]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

I am just tired of hearing people say "I fight full contact" then walk onto the mat dressed like the stay puff marshmellow man.

haha, absolutely! While I love some nice solid contact in competition, the competitors have to understand how much damage their techniques can do, or else you see the usual swinging for the fences scraps.

I have nothing against point sparring- but I do have something against point-stop sparring. I simply fail to understand how it is useful. Afterall, not only is the whole one-hit ko philosophy flawed IMO, but trying to judge what is the first strong techinque to score, can be a nightmare for the judge/referee.

#387427 - 03/20/08 03:05 PM Re: Full contact or point sparring?? [Re: Supremor]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I have nothing against point sparring- but I do have something against point-stop sparring. I simply fail to understand how it is useful. Afterall, not only is the whole one-hit ko philosophy flawed IMO, but trying to judge what is the first strong techinque to score, can be a nightmare for the judge/referee.

I agree the format has it's draw backs, the worst being the tendency to stop after a perceived score, but that also is the fault of the referee.

Say I step in and reverse punch you to the head with a big Kiai and stop. Meanwhile you counter punch my head, while I am posing for my point.

Even if I got there first, a good referee would call it an exchange no point, because I stopped and didn't cover. A bad referee would give me a point because I got there first.

Is it difficult to judge, sure but so is basketball. Truth is if you are stingy with your points, it's generally not that tough to determine who won an exchange or who is the dominate fighter.

Now say you don't stop, well then you have a giving quarter issue, if I come in and land a hard blow, but I pull it, you have to give me quarter, and back off not come right in while I am open from extending a technique (no difference then class sparring).

Except in competition, that often doesn't happen, so you either need to go full contact or have some sort of break or stoppage.

Personally I like point fighting with stoppage. Real fights don't go 3-5 minutes, so how is that any more realistic?

The problem is we are simulating fighting, which is near impossible to do, no matter what rule set you use it's a combat sport.

I say just lock all the fighters in the gym and come back in an hour and see who is still standing, then hand him a trophy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga