FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#386342 - 03/12/08 04:09 PM Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Let me start out by saying that there is no ground fighting in karate, okinawans were never trained in any form of grappling that contained chokes, joint locks, or really any form of ground fighting, and there are no such techniques contained within kata.

Now, after getting that out of the way, does anyone feel that any techniques or principles from your karate training you use standing can be still be utilized no matter where the fight is taken? If so what are they are how are they utilized. If not, what happens when the fight is taken there in training? Do you stop fighting and beg for a quick death, continue to fight without any techniques, or do you draw your techniques from other sources?
When I am in a fight that ends up in a range that is traditionally not trained in karate I.....
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 03/12/08 04:08 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#386343 - 03/12/08 04:20 PM Re: Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques [Re: medulanet]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Bah you are being misleading.

No one has stated that there isn't alot of standing grappling in Karate (would anyone claim this?)....I doubt there are any dojo out there anymore that don't at least teach some variation on osoto gari, and some basic arm locks.

I even find it a reasonable assumption to continue into side control or what have you from alot of takedowns etc, what I think is a little silly is when you get into talking about things like the gaurd (or the passing of it) and claiming it is somehow "in" Naihanchi.

That's what people are debating, not whether or not the skills can or should be used to some degree.

In the end it's turning into a semantic arguemnet Med, I actually think what you are advocating is probably very similar to the way alot of us were trained, it's the suggestion that somehow all these groundfighting techniques are to be "found" in Kata all the sudden that throws people for a loop. This is different than these techniques simply being your interpretation of Kata.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (03/12/08 04:21 PM)

#386344 - 03/12/08 04:27 PM Re: Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Zach is right on. I have no problem with anyone finding various uses for kata bunkai. I think it's a good mental exercise, and can be fun for those who try it. But that is completely different from trying to say that XYZ technique was historically part of kata training.

Can techiques be used universally? Sure.

Were they used universally? Not before 1991.

#386345 - 03/12/08 04:35 PM Re: Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques [Re: Zach_Zinn]
haze Offline
Dragon

Loc: Syracuse NY USA
Well, when I look at the Bubishi I see some joint locks, throws, a few ground techniques and some larynx grabs/chokes.

So why would anyone think that throws, locks, chokes or ground work was not in karate?

Maybe we do not see them in Modern karate, that which has been devised in the last 75 yrs or so but I think the whole thing has been watered down since it was altered for the school systems in Okinawa and Japan.

Edited by haze (03/12/08 04:56 PM)

#386346 - 03/12/08 04:41 PM Re: Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques [Re: haze]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Well, when I look at the Bubishi I see some joint locks, throws, a few ground techniques and some larynx grabs/chokes.

So why would anyone think that throws, locks, chokes or ground work was not in karate?

Maybe we do not see them in Modern karate, that which has been devised in the last 75 yra or so but I think the whole thing has been watered down since it was altered for the school systems in Okinawa and Japan.

You guys keep missing the subtle distinction between "there is simple groundfighting in Karate" and "Naihanchi Kata shows you how to pass the gaurd".

There are some very simple throws in the bubishi, I remember tomoe-nage and ura-nage off hand, I don't remember anyhting in there about actual ground grappling, can you point it out? I've only read the McCarthy translation.

And for the last time no one has said there isn't grappling in karate, and i'm guessing almost no one would alot of us have said there was no dedicated groundfighting in it prior to the era of the UFC.

Edited by Zach_Zinn (03/12/08 04:44 PM)

#386347 - 03/12/08 05:02 PM Re: Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques [Re: Zach_Zinn]
haze Offline
Dragon

Loc: Syracuse NY USA
Zach,

Sorry, I should have clarified the ground techniques. These are shown being done from the ground on a standing opponent.
(I'm not talking BJJ stuff)

Basicly throws/takedowns from the ground

One may be reffered to as a scissor take down, and then a sacrifice throw where you go down on your back and throw opponent over the top of you using feet.

#386348 - 03/12/08 05:02 PM Re: Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques [Re: MattJ]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Okinawans learned grappling from the Koreans practicing ancient Korean wrestling known as SSIRIUM. They changed the name to Tegumi...then they took it out of the poomse and put it in the kata. It's all there in the Tul.

#386349 - 03/12/08 05:24 PM Re: Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques [Re: MattJ]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Were they used universally? Not before 1991.

Matt, what exactly happened in 1991?

#386350 - 03/12/08 05:29 PM Re: Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques [Re: Zach_Zinn]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

You guys keep missing the subtle distinction between "there is simple groundfighting in Karate" and "Naihanchi Kata shows you how to pass the gaurd".

Yeah, that's kind of weird Zach, who said that? Why would someone other than a mugger attacker want to pass someone's guard on the street? Let's not confuse self/life preservation strategy with sport. But now lets assume that YOU are the one on the bottom. What about ways to get up?

#386351 - 03/12/08 05:56 PM Re: Universal Usage of Okinawan Karate Techniques [Re: medulanet]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, that's kind of weird Zach, who said that? Why would someone other than a mugger attacker want to pass someone's guard on the street? Let's not confuse self/life preservation strategy with sport. But now lets assume that YOU are the one on the bottom. What about ways to get up?

Heh while it was intended as semi- tongue in cheek, that was kind of silly of me to phrase it that way.

It wasn't you obviously, but I remember many moons ago being shown a guard passing drill and some other groundwork and being told it was part of Naihanchi. Coincidentally, this was in the 90's;)

Hey I fully agree that those things should be taught, especially how to get up! I just don't agree neccessarily that they are explicitly part of most Kata.

I also think that for most people crosstraining is probably required unless they are lucky enough to have a teacher who is also proficient in a grappling art (hey, like you).

Whether or not this stuff is part of Karate, it seems to be the case that generally one needs some exposure to a dedicated grappling art to learn it.

Maybe this will be less true in time, since now people corsstraining and integrating stuff is much more common.

You yourself admitted that your wrestling background has merged with your Karate, do you think someone else trained in a comparable manner only in Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu would have the kind of grappling knowledge or ability to teach these things?

Edited by Zach_Zinn (03/12/08 06:08 PM)

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga