FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#385232 - 03/05/08 03:21 AM Kung Fu Double Weapons
18lohans Offline

As of now, I still don't have any double weapons in my arsenal. So just got curious and thought I'd ask a few questions:

- Are double weapons considered to be advanced in most kung fu systems?

- How practical (assuming we live in times where we'd actually need to use our weapons), fun, useful, challenging and likeable are double weapons?

- How relatively rare are double weapons and their sets?

- For double swords, are two swords preferred over those double swords that come with the half handles? And if so, does any one simply own a pair of half handle double swords and use one sword at a time for the single sword practice?

#385233 - 03/05/08 06:29 AM Re: Kung Fu Double Weapons [Re: 18lohans]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
Hey 18lohans

-Yes, I believe double weapons are considered advanced. However, it really depends on the curriculum, style and teacher.

-Well considering you will not carry 2 swords with you wherever you go, they might not be the best practicable weapons. But when your talking about 2 short sticks, or something along those lines then yes they are like 2 extensions of your fists.

-At my school, we use the double broadsword (with the half handle). And most of the students will use one of them for single broadsword. So it really doesnt matter either way. I think it is better than 2 separate swords, however, that is just my opinion.

#385234 - 03/05/08 07:39 AM Re: Kung Fu Double Weapons [Re: 18lohans]
jdkf Offline

Hello

I was shown a double stick/sword form last week at class so will be learning that shortly. We have covered 2 hand, 1 staff and 1 single stick form to get to this stage. We are learning eagle movements and this double stick form is apparently along these lines.
Agree with previous post when using sticks as extension on fist/arm movement, with regards to practical uses ,I find learing with stick/staff benefits the unarmed "versions" of form or movements massivelyso you dont have to be armed with stick/sword to reap the benefits of practice with them.

#385235 - 03/05/08 07:56 AM Re: Kung Fu Double Weapons [Re: 18lohans]
WuXing Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
It depends on the style you're in, I think. Generally, the single weapon will be learned before the double, unless the weapon is always found in a pair. Like sai/cha, butterfly swords, tiger hook swords...there's almost always two of these.
I think double dao are pretty common, and getting the set which fit in the same scabbard is very handy. To be thrifty, I know many people who bought the double set before they needed it, and just used one until it was time to learn the double set. Personally, I prefer a single full handled dao.
Double jian are less common, and I don't think I would like a half-handled jian either. They are thin enough that having two single ones wouldn't be a big deal, I think. Tiger hook swords don't have a scabbard, so they don't need the half handled thing. Learning those is also fairly rare, I think.
If you're in a southern style, like wing chun or hung gar, then you're going to learn the double butterfly swords. It's usually one of the only weapons they teach, besides the staff. So it's not rare at all, for them.
In other styles, I think the double dao is the most common double set. They're quite fun...how practical it is depends on how you train, I guess. Some of the techniques can be applied to sticks, but obviously some movements require a blade to make any sense.

I think generally the double sets would not be taught until later, more advanced stages, just because you're usually going to learn the single weapon first if there is one. It all depends on the style, though.

#385236 - 03/06/08 12:50 AM Re: Kung Fu Double Weapons [Re: WuXing]
18lohans Offline

Thanks for all the replies so far! They're all very informative.

I think I'll be shopping around for a pair of double swords soon then (half-handles). Do you guys keep flags on yours? Also, if you were to use one of them for single sword sets, do you pick the right or left half?

Double sticks sound interesting. I haven't seen that at my school yet. Are they an actual weapon set, or more or less like a starter's way to learn double swords?

Double Jians to me sound like an odd idea... I saw some vids on youtube, and I must say that it's basically like Double Daos? It basically hacks and cuts, more than it slices, etc... To me, I think Double Jians lose a lot of the Jian characteristics. Am I on the right track? (I haven't actually learned or tried a double jian set)

#385237 - 03/06/08 06:20 AM Re: Kung Fu Double Weapons [Re: 18lohans]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
I would try to keep on the flag. However, they fall off a lot, theres not much you can do to keep them on.
I would use the right handle, if your gripping it with your right hand.

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga