FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#385210 - 03/04/08 11:50 PM My new routine!!
jasperdaman Offline

Loc: Australia
Ok so i did my assesment at the gym today and i got my routine, the personal trainer guy said that before i start strength training(like i used to do) that i should do 2 months of hypertrophy training to get a solid base for strength/power training. Then after the 2 months i should do 2 weeks of strength training then back to hypertrophy to mix it up.

The workout he gave me goes sumtin like this:

Monday-Workout 1

warmup 5mins on rower

Barbell flat bench press- 3x8-12
Dumbell bench pres incline- 3x8-12

Seated row- 3x8-12
Assisted chinups- 3x8-12

Dumbell seated shoulder press- 3x8-12
Dumbell lateral raise- 3x10

Tuesday-Workout 2

5minute warmup on bike

Squats- 3x8-12
travelling lunges- 2x10(each leg)

Leg curl- 3x12
Stiff legged deadlift- 3x10

Calf raises- 3x10
hovers(planks)- 3x1min

Roman crunch- 3x12

Thursday-Workout 1
Friday- Workout 2

So its a hypertrophy routine upper/lower body split trying to workout 4 times a week. 1minute rests inbetween sets and it should take about an hour to complete.

This routine is FAR different to anything i've ever really done, personally i think there are to many exercises and generally dont think its all that efficient, but what do i know.

Cord,Wiggy any other knowledgable freinds out there it would help me alot if you could give it a look over and fix/change what you thinks needs fixing!!!

Regards, Jasper

#385211 - 03/05/08 06:23 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
How long do workout 1 and workout 2 take? I'm just curious.
It sounds good to me. (I do however not know much about strength training.)

#385212 - 03/05/08 09:03 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
jasperdaman Offline

Quote:

1minute rests inbetween sets and it should take about an hour to complete.

#385213 - 03/05/08 06:18 PM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
1 min rest, and its going to take you an hour!?!

What you have been given is fine, but even with the warm up included, if you take more than 35 mins to complete this workout, your intensity is a joke.

I can only presume that the alternating between muscle building and pure strength work has been agreed based on your goals as told to him. Many want to consider aesthetic goals as well as perfromance- nothing wrong with that.

The upper/lower split is fine, though from a personal perspective, I would have complimented overhead press with shrugs, not lateral raise. Keeps the posterior/anterior mix in balance, and keeps one eye on functional strength.
Oh yeah, I would also do the overhead press whilst standing- better core engagement and power generation.

Given the number of horrors you could have been prescribed, this programme is OK. It would appear that your instructor is not a complete idiot. I will reserve final judgement until I see what he does for your sptrength cycle

#385214 - 03/05/08 09:04 PM Re: My new routine!! [Re: Cord]
jasperdaman Offline

Yer i dont realy like lateral raises all that much, i prefer shrugs as it works the grip abit aswell, i was also thinnking about standing and not sitting, i didnt come to the gym to sit on my ass!! I really dont care much for aesthetic goals but APPARENTLY i need 2 months of base hypertrophy before i can start strength training.....

I think he may of said dont take MORE then an hour, not that it should take an hour. Should i do shrugs with barbell or dumbell or doesnt it really matter?

I asked the instructor for his qualifications and all he has is a certificate 4 in personal training/fitness (not sure which one) Which made me pause a little bit as my freind has this certifiate aswell which is sumtin like a 2 month course u have to do...

Anyway as much as i dont even really want to be big and bulky for aesthitic reasons i will go with it, may be a nice change of pace. its just going to be hard as sometimes i will have to go to the gym in the day then go to TKD training at night.

Thnx for your help Cord and i will keep you posted as to how i am going. And the cardio work he gave me was 20mins on bike with 30/30 sec interals, he said i can do this any time.

#385215 - 03/06/08 02:41 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
Cord Offline
Prolific

WHAT!!! so he is imposing a goal of mass gain on you, based on the fact that he thinks you 'need' a bit more muscle!?!?

i retract everything- the man is an idiot. Why on earth do weight lifters and boxers, who rely on hitting specific bodyweight, strength train if it is no good without additional mass?!?

Go back. Explain clearly that you do not, in any way, consider muscle mass a priority, and dont see why you should spend 1/6th of a year at a time, working for what you dont want to achieve. Tell him you are competetive at TKD and have to make weight. Then ask him to prescribe a workout that will help you achieve what you want to achieve

If I want to buy a stereo, no matter how good the salesman says the TV is, i aint buyin'

#385216 - 03/06/08 09:28 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: Cord]
jasperdaman Offline

Yes it did sound a little funny to me, i was talking about strength training and he was talking about always needing a spotter with strength training, but even though you are using heavier weights you dont work to burnout so it is probably safer then hypertrophy....

He said strength/power training should only go for 2 weeks, his reasoing behind this was that your body adapts to strength training then the results go down. This also kinda made me go 'HUH?' if you increase weight then you dont always have to 'mix it up' to acheive goals. I will go in tomorrow and make another appointment to see him, depending on what he says i may ask for another trainer. I dont think he even knows wat TKD is. He said sumtin like 'i guess you want to work on your upper body more then your legs for your TKD', then i said 'no TKD has alot of kicking...'

So what your saying is that i DO NOT NEED BASE HYPERROPHY TRAINING BEFORE STARTING A STRENGTH/POWER ROUTINE?

Again Cord, much appreciated.

#385217 - 03/06/08 11:04 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
_kyle Offline

Loc: Montreal
Quote:

Yes it did sound a little funny to me, i was talking about strength training and he was talking about always needing a spotter with strength training, but even though you are using heavier weights you dont work to burnout so it is probably safer then hypertrophy....

He said strength/power training should only go for 2 weeks, his reasoing behind this was that your body adapts to strength training then the results go down. This also kinda made me go 'HUH?' if you increase weight then you dont always have to 'mix it up' to acheive goals. I will go in tomorrow and make another appointment to see him, depending on what he says i may ask for another trainer. I dont think he even knows wat TKD is. He said sumtin like 'i guess you want to work on your upper body more then your legs for your TKD', then i said 'no TKD has alot of kicking...'

So what your saying is that i DO NOT NEED BASE HYPERROPHY TRAINING BEFORE STARTING A STRENGTH/POWER ROUTINE?

Again Cord, much appreciated.

hahaha sounds like this guy is just trying to sell you a one for all routine that he gives all of his male clients. Even if you didn't kick at all in TKD your legs are where the power behind your punches come from not your arms or chest.

#385218 - 03/06/08 11:37 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Ask these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXYFRDK02eQ

muscle mass and strength/power are not intrinsicaly linked. There is no doubt that any regular lifting will increase strength, and I have known some incredibly strong bodybuilders, but the simple fact is that for a bodybuilder, muscle volume is the goal, not strength. If Coleman discovered that lifting light weights would give him bigger muscles, then he would drop the heavy work in a heartbeat. Strength is a side-effect of bodybuilding.

If you want to build strength/power, then that is what you need to work for, and not just for 2 f*cking weeks That is so wrong that I want to stick forks in my eyes having read it.

Give him another chance, you have paid for the service after all, post what he says, and if necessary, I will step in and sort something out for you.

#385219 - 03/06/08 07:44 PM Re: My new routine!! [Re: Cord]
jasperdaman Offline

Cheers Mate, ill report back soon

Ok i rung up today and i have to wait till thursday to have an appointment with him!!!! its f&*$#%!ing bull$h1t that i am paying for this stupid gym when i am not even going because i dont have a suitable routine, there is no point me starting this hypertrophy routine as i am not looking for muscle mass, i am looking for pure functional strength and i'm pretty sure i told him that i used to do strength training 5x5 routines with big compound lifts for my martial arts! This sucks so much that i now have to wait a week to talk to him again when i could be working out, and he'll probably just gimme sum stupid routine again!!!!!

It's good to let out my frustrations, but as a poor university student i cant afford to be paying for a gym that i cant use because of the incompetance of the instructor!

Edited by jasperdaman (03/06/08 08:11 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga