FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#385220 - 03/06/08 09:16 PM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
evad74 Offline

Loc: Qld, Australia
Does this instructor have to be with you when you work out there? I'm not sure how these places work, but can't you just go and do something similar to your old routine there until you can see him again to sort the rest out?

#385221 - 03/06/08 09:20 PM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Just start training. You have had your health check, and your induction, so now just go and do your thing. If he comes up with something on thursday, then great, if not dont worry, we can work it out on here. No reason you cant go do some 5x5 in the meantime though.

#385222 - 03/06/08 09:31 PM Re: My new routine!! [Re: Cord]
jasperdaman Offline

Loc: Australia
So true my freinds so true. No the instructor doesnt have to be there when i train so ill just revert back to my 5x5 till wednesday

#385223 - 03/12/08 04:24 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
jasperdaman Offline

Ok guys heres the moment of truth! I went back to the personal trainer today re-told my goals to him so he fully understood that i wanted explosive strength not hypertrophy and made another routine based on these goals. I still think i know more then half the people in the gym though as at first he wanted to give me 4 exercises 5x5 with 3 minute recovery breaks and i had to step in and say, that would take like 1.5hours or so to complete...

So here it is anyway, not sure if i like it much but its all i could get out of him.

Workout 1- 3mins recovery between sets

Flat Bench press 5x5
Squats 5x5
Military Press 5x5

Workout 2- 2-3mins recovery

Chin-ups 4x6
Stiff leg deadlift 4x6
Box jumps 4x6

So routine goes like this.

Week 1
Mon-workout 1
Tue-workout 2
Wed-rest
Thur-rest
Fri-workout 1
Sat-workout 2
Sun-rest

Week 2
Mon-rest
Tue-rest
Wed-workout 1
Thur-workout 2
Fri-rest
Sat-rest
Sun-rest
mon-workout 1
tues-workout 2

Week 4
sun-Clap pushups 3x8-12 Squat jumps 3x8-12
mon-rest
tue-rest
wed-Clap pushups 3x8-12 Squat jumps 3x8-12
thur-rest
fri-rest
sat-Clap pushups 3x8-12 Squat jumps 3x8-12
sun-rest

Ok the way he designed it he says i need 72hours between my 2 workouts. The workout regime is 2 weeks on 1 week off, he says your joints wernt built to take that much heavy weight so if you do strength work for more then 2 weeks in a row then it will become detrimental. workout1 and 2 are done after each other then 72 hours rest then workout 1 and 2 etc for 2 weeks, week 2 actually stretches into week 3 to allow for 72 hours rest so the rest of week 3 is rest and week for is some plyo in my off week.

All input encouraged ( especially from Cord and Wiggy )

#385224 - 03/12/08 05:36 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Hmmm. I can see where he is coming from, but its not quite all it could be. Again, I dont hate it, I just dont love it. If it were my daughter's boyfriend I would be OK with him coming to the house, but if he asked for her hand in marriage, I would refuse- that make sense?
The main problem is that he approaching strength training with a bodybuilders mindset- the volume is too high, and there is not enough complimentary work for the basic lifts.

Also, this 'you cant train for more than 2 weeks' thing- I dont know where he got it from, but he is wrong. Strength training has been shown to strengthen, not weaken, tendons and joint function.

Here Is what i would prescribe based on you wanting to train 4 days a week (if that is a number he came up with, and you want to do less/more days per week, then let me know)

Workout 1.
Squat 5x5
Back extensions (weighted) 5x5

Workout 2.
Bench 5x5
Hamstring curl 5x5 (if you had a glute/ham raise, then that would be ideal, but most mainstream gyms wont touch them)

Workout 3.
Deadlift 5x5
Chins 5x5 (any grip. weighted if necessary)

Workout 4.- (a) and (b). Alternate each week.
(a):
Box Jumps x5
Plyo push ups x5
Hip Pop-ups or full bridges if possible x5
(b):
Hang clean and press 5x10
Hanging leg raise x5
Weighted twists (hold a plate) on 45 degree sit up bench 5x10

there you go, she can marry that one, he's a keeper

#385225 - 03/12/08 07:09 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: Cord]
jasperdaman Offline

I'd love to do a 6 day routine but with work and university my time is very limited. I would in all reality probably be able to commit to a 2 or 3 day week. Maybe on holidays i can return to your delightful 4 day routine and ask for its hand in marriage?

So i can probably fit in a 2 day week or a 3 day week. But it really just depends on my workload so some weeks i may be able to go for 4 days others only 2 days.

Just a few questions on some of the exercises, are these

back extensions?
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Hyperextensions+(Back+Extensions) i hope my gym has a hyperextension machine.

Bridges? http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Butt+Lift+(Bridge)

hangin leg raise?
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Hanging+Leg+Raise

Weighted twists?
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Plate+Twist Same idea but on a bench set at 45degrees i assume?

Hang clean and press. Should i be doing clean and press without prior proffesional technique training? or is this sumtin different

With workout 4 when u say box jumps x5 does this simply mean 1 set of 5 box jumps?

and 5x10 obviously is 5 sets where u can get 10 reps on each set. I will ask if they have a glute/ham raise(technical name?) but if they dont i know they have a leg curl machine.

Thankyou heaps for helping me through this mate its really appreciated. Just sucks that i cant start working out yet as i am still letting my corked leg heal, i think its getting better but because i stupidly took so long to act it is taking a while to heal!

#385226 - 03/12/08 07:06 PM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
Cord Offline
Prolific

OK, if you want a two day routine, I will have a think and post an alternative for you- no problem

The links you posted are all correct except the bridges. What that site shows is Hip pop-ups. Full bridges are similar, except you either come up all the way onto your head, or place the hands down and come up into what kids in school used to call the 'crab' position.

As for the plyo work, the '5' refers to the number of sets. The reps is dependant on what you can do. remember with plyo work, you are not aiming to 'burn out'. You stop as soon as you have lost your maximum 'explosivity'. You see so many people just grinding to a halt, full of lactic acid on this stuff, when you should stop and rest. Its all about training the body to react with explosive power, not making it unable to move.

Stand by for the 2 day split.

#385227 - 03/12/08 07:38 PM Re: My new routine!! [Re: Cord]
jasperdaman Offline

thanks i will be waiting anxiously!! and just to clarify, 3min breaks in between plyo work? and wat is hang clean and press. cheers

#385228 - 03/13/08 03:44 AM Re: My new routine!! [Re: jasperdaman]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Yep, 3 min breaks- it is just another form of power training, so its not about muscle fatigue, its about developing explosivity.

Scratch the hang cleans, if you dont know them, you wont be doing them

#385229 - 03/13/08 08:12 PM Re: My new routine!! [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

2 day split- not consecutive days.

Day 1.
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Hyper extensions 5x5

Day 2.
Deadlift 5x5
Military press 5x5
Leg Curl 5x5

If you have the time or inclination you can do a plyo session as a third workout, but keep the volume low, and remember plyometric work is nothing to do with grinding to a lactic acid induced halt.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga