FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#384911 - 03/01/08 07:07 PM My turn - Gankaku
SNieves Offline

I am posting this to get input on my performance of the Shotokan kata: Gankaku.

Here is when I first learned it last summer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HAp7Bfno_0

Here is a few months ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZItKxLuO5l4&feature=related

I wanted to show the progression of the the learning of a kata from early learning stages to final refinement.

I will be posting a 3rd video when I get it recorded sometime this week. The 2nd video allowed me to find out many technical and just plain wrong errors of my performance of the kata I had to fix.

So far, I have earned 2, 2nd place trophies and a 1st place finish with the kata. My son tells me I do the kata better in tournament than on film. I tell him that it's the camera making me want to perform than just "doing" the kata.

Please share your thoughts and tips.

Osu.

Edited by SNieves (03/01/08 07:13 PM)

#384912 - 03/01/08 09:10 PM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: SNieves]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Hey, I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's contributions! While I don't know the form, everything looked sharp. I really liked the jump front kick. Nice!

#384913 - 03/01/08 10:26 PM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: MattJ]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
Hey man

Nice progress in the form. Your techinque and balance are shown very well in these videos. Keep it up!

#384914 - 03/02/08 09:54 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: WhiteDragon11]
pcrawf Offline
Stranger

Hi.

What sort of input are you looking for? I'm guessing that you don't do Shotokan, and are competing in open tournaments? If you're doing well in the tournaments, and that is your main aim, then you probably don't need advice from a Shotokan guy.

If you're after attempting to perform Gankaku a la Shotokan, then there are plenty of videos of it done by people like Tanaka and Kanazawa on the net.

Until you tell us your goals, I think you wil be unlikely to receieve any useful advice.

#384915 - 03/02/08 11:14 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: pcrawf]
SNieves Offline

No, not a Shotokan guy but it's the kata my Master Instructor gave me to learn last year. Yes I am competing in open tournaments with it at this time. I have watched Valdesi perform the kata. I like his version of it. I don't think I can do it exactly like him but it's the model I use. My actual favorite karate practitioner is this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKH2stYNWo&mode=user&search=

Anyway, I am looking for things that I am not doing well from a technical point of view and what I am doing wrong technique and kata wise.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Osu.

Edited by SNieves (03/02/08 11:16 AM)

#384916 - 03/02/08 12:05 PM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: SNieves]
pcrawf Offline
Stranger

OK, I have to say that I'm not so keen on Valdesi's interpretation, but I can admire his athletic ability.

Regarding your Gankaku, and commenting on your performance, and how it differs from a "standard" (if there is such a thing...), I'll offer the following:

The opening move is usually done slightly differently than the way you do it. Rather than firing the X-block from the hips, the hands come from the lower right hand side and end up all the way across the body on the left.

The shift left into kibadachi after the kakiwake uke in front stance is normally done by stepping back with the left leg, rather than forwards with the right.

I would also suggest that you should be in a sidestance after the middle two side kicks - where you're doing the hook punch.

Finally, the rising elbow strike near the end would benefit from more drive, like you would do in a reverse punch, closing the hips. I think Valdesi's performance at this point is particularly lacking as he sacrifices (and it's not just here) power generation for show, IMO.

I think Kanazawa's performance encapsulates most of these points, although there are small differences between his version and standard JKA. You can see it here:

Kanazawa's Gankaku

As I say, these criticisms may only be relevant if you're not already aware of these points and have chosen to do your kata another way. If the kata is for performance and aesthetic appeal, you're going to have as many differences of opinion as you are replies...

Hope the above is of some use however, and kudos to you for putting your kata up for all to see.

Regards,

Peter

#384917 - 03/02/08 01:31 PM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: SNieves]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
could I ask what system you practice?

good improvement shown between the 2 videos IMO, very different from our Chinto kata however, which is fine and dandy.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#384918 - 03/02/08 06:33 PM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: shoshinkan]
Shonuff Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London, UK
Sho,

I've seen a video of Hohan Soken doing chinto, it's almost identical to the Shotokan version and certainly much closer to the shotokan than to the other versions I've seen. Is that not the one you practice? or when you say very different are you looking at the fine details?

#384919 - 03/03/08 03:13 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: Shonuff]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
yes the general kata is similair,

I was thinking of timing, power emphasis, speed of movements, combinations etc etc.

this is why I asked what system it is from, to get a better handle on how it is being worked.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#384920 - 03/03/08 08:33 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: shoshinkan]
SNieves Offline

Name of our School: Oshirokan Karate
Style: Goshin Budo Bujutsu / Oshirokan Karate-Jutsu

Old Base katas: Taikyoku Shodan, Nidan, Sandan; Heian Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yodan, Godan; Two House Katas (who will remain nameless); Bassai Dai; Seienchin; Sanchin; Bassai Dai; Empi; Gankaku (at my level).

Thanks for your assistance.

Osu.

Quote:

yes the general kata is similair,

I was thinking of timing, power emphasis, speed of movements, combinations etc etc.

this is why I asked what system it is from, to get a better handle on how it is being worked.

Edited by SNieves (03/03/08 08:37 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga