FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#384921 - 03/03/08 08:39 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: SNieves]
Barad Offline

Hate to say it all looks a it rushed to me, albeit the basic movements are more or less correct (I have been practising Gankaku for 17 or 18 years so I have had a while to ponder it!). Also-and I appreciate it may well be of no relevance to you as you are practicing for display-there seems to be no particular intent in performance of the movements.

B.

#384922 - 03/03/08 08:42 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: Barad]
SNieves Offline

Say what you will. That's why I put myself out there for all's input and critique.

I agree, the 2nd performance was extremely rushed. I looked at it and thought, wtf am in a hurry for?? Yes, I am using the kata as a performance piece for competition, but that does not mean, I should not display it with proper technique and at a high level of proficiency.

Osu.

#384923 - 03/03/08 09:09 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: SNieves]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
thats not a system im familiar with, so it's difficult for me to make any real comments outside of generalisms.

you mention your level, could I ask what rank you hold as that will give me an idea of level within any kata.

good for you by the way, I often put up my own karate for peoples comments, posative and negative comes from that!

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#384924 - 03/03/08 10:28 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: shoshinkan]
SNieves Offline

Sandan.

If you wish to know about our style, please feel free to email me directly: snieves4@cox.net.

Osu.

Edited by SNieves (03/03/08 10:31 AM)

#384925 - 03/03/08 01:42 PM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: SNieves]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

e-mail sent, look forward to hearing back from you

#384926 - 03/04/08 01:11 PM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: shoshinkan]
SNieves Offline

Great talking to you shoshin.

Well, I got my latest recording up on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNbUEaDs2OE

I am much happier with this performance. Some things that stuck out to me.

-I was way off the line from the embusen to the top of the kata. It happened after the jump kick. While performing I noticed that I was attempting to follow my path towards a corner of the room as opposed to the straight line path from my starting point. I adjustd mid stream and corrected it.

-I didn't feel it during the kata but I see on the video I over adjusted on the first horse stance and stepped back to far with my left foot making my kiba dachi offline. I noticed I was stepping back with the wrong foot weeks ago and started to correct that error.

It seems I was wandering a bit. It never happened before and was a bit surprised when I noticed it while I was executing the kata and after seeing the rest on video. More focus daniel-san!

-That stupid head bob of mine on the last kick. It looks like I did a bit of it on the first kick as well. I don't know where the heck that comes from but it irks the bajeezers out of me. Going to have to work on that.

I will post a 4th video next week after working on it some more this week.

Osu.

#384927 - 03/04/08 02:03 PM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: SNieves]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Good stuff Sam,

keep it coming, I wish more of us were happy to 'publically' show what we do and accept posative hints and praise where it's due.

#384928 - 03/05/08 08:45 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: SNieves]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hey Sam

Believe it or not I seriously considered not posting before writing this.

I looked at your introduction post to try and understand your background after I had seen the video's. I did this after you'd posted the first 2, and have now seen your third.

I have practiced Shotokan for a while (it's my base style) and any comments I have reflect a shotokan guy's viewpoint.

I believe your kata performance reflects your MA background which seems to be varied amongst many styles for short periods. This seems to have given you no solid base to work from. I could go through the kata performance and comment but it would read like a novel and be of little use to you.

You note that you're still working on this kata, but my suggestion would be to stop. You need to take your techniques right back to basics and develop them in a solid and confident manner from which you could then start to address Kata issues. Without those basics, trying to improve the kata is really like trying to paint a house that's been built poorly.

You say that you want to compete with this kata and have done so successfully in the past. I would suggest that this is due to the level of the competition rather than any competancy in the kata itself.

I considered putting this into a pm to you, but then thought, hell this is a forum, that's what this is for.

I don't decry your efforts, and putting up a vidio of yourself for open criticism is seriously ballsy.

I genuinly wish you luck and rewards for your efforts, but from what I saw of the video's unless you go back to basics, you are unlikely to succeed.

#384929 - 03/05/08 09:49 AM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: JohnL]
SNieves Offline

Alrighty then. Thanks for your honesty and candor. And thanks for the motivation.

Osu.

Quote:

Hey Sam

Believe it or not I seriously considered not posting before writing this.

I looked at your introduction post to try and understand your background after I had seen the video's. I did this after you'd posted the first 2, and have now seen your third.

I have practiced Shotokan for a while (it's my base style) and any comments I have reflect a shotokan guy's viewpoint.

I believe your kata performance reflects your MA background which seems to be varied amongst many styles for short periods. This seems to have given you no solid base to work from. I could go through the kata performance and comment but it would read like a novel and be of little use to you.

You note that you're still working on this kata, but my suggestion would be to stop. You need to take your techniques right back to basics and develop them in a solid and confident manner from which you could then start to address Kata issues. Without those basics, trying to improve the kata is really like trying to paint a house that's been built poorly.

You say that you want to compete with this kata and have done so successfully in the past. I would suggest that this is due to the level of the competition rather than any competancy in the kata itself.

I considered putting this into a pm to you, but then thought, hell this is a forum, that's what this is for.

I don't decry your efforts, and putting up a vidio of yourself for open criticism is seriously ballsy.

I genuinly wish you luck and rewards for your efforts, but from what I saw of the video's unless you go back to basics, you are unlikely to succeed.

Edited by SNieves (03/05/08 10:01 AM)

#384930 - 03/05/08 04:09 PM Re: My turn - Gankaku [Re: SNieves]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
great progresson man, you can see a leap in preformance each time. i like it.

to critique a little. at the 1:00 mark the lunge punch, when you kiai'd your head tipd back a bit. makes for a throaty kiai, and it breaks the kinimatic chain in the posteroir muscle groups. it's bad for your neck. and at 1:10, is that a kiba dachi or a shiko dachi?

you've got thoes turns on one leg down prety smooth! i bet they've gotta be murder the 15th time through. great work. POST MORE!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga