FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 74 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#383775 - 09/19/08 12:04 PM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: JAMJTX]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Prize,

I agree with what you've said;

IMO, all mr Cates is teaching is a form of Goshin Jutsu, which in itself is just a branch of Judo for self-defense, not a style in itself. It's like saying 'I'm teaching Shuk-a-Do which is basically Goju-ryu Bunkai'.

I'm sick of all these 'New Jitsu'. They don't teach anything new, just sloppy mish mash of who knows what.

~Donnie

#383776 - 09/19/08 06:05 PM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: Taison]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

Other than that, I enjoy humiliating them by wearing a pink gi, however, instead of pants they have to wear a kilt colored like the american flag just to show patriotism.

LMAO You made me shoot coffee out my nose dude!

Anyway, I know nothing about the style, but I don't get reinventing the wheel like that.

Why not just do Judo and integrate whatever else you like?

Edited by Zach_Zinn (09/19/08 06:35 PM)

#383777 - 09/19/08 10:22 PM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: Zach_Zinn]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Exactly,

What's the purpose besides monetary benefits for founding your own system?

~Donnie

#383778 - 09/19/08 11:08 PM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: Taison]
OldJudoka Offline
Stranger

Shouldn't have taken offense, sorry.

Professor is now 75 and not very internet-savvy. I tend to be a bit protective of him on-line.

Apologies to all.

#383779 - 09/20/08 03:20 AM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: OldJudoka]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Lol, feel free to hate me

I'm not accusing Mr Cates of being a fraud or anything. Just think it's weird he founded his own system when he's just teaching Judo with some mix of this and that.

~Donnie

#383780 - 09/21/08 06:58 AM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: OldJudoka]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Well no need for apologies. Sometimes these threads can seem personal, but I can assure you this is not the case!

Again, Mr Cates may well be a very good teacher. Certainly I would like to still be active in Martial arts aged 75!!! And from the link I posted earlier, I like the sound of "Successful principles and techniques for longevity in the martial arts"

Sometimes the names of these "New Jitsu" styles ( I am copyrighting that term BTW!!) can actually do more harm than good. If I looked at the name "Neko-Ryu Goshin Jitsu" I would initially have a negative reaction. If I seen the "World Sokeship Council..." thing, I wouldn't even pay Neko Ryu Goshin Jitsu a second thought...

If I read what Mr Cates was actually teaching though (Judo, Judo from a SD perspective and Longevity in Martial Arts) then I would be quite interested in having a look!

The problem is when people muddy the pool of what it is they are teaching by adding all these whistles and bells, it can be easy to dismiss them, despite that fact that when it comes to the actual martial arts side of it, they actually have sound knowledge and would be a good source of training.

#383781 - 10/29/08 12:47 PM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: Prizewriter]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Quote:

They are created by people who have had little to no experience of authentic, traditional Japanese Ju Jutsu. They study some Judo, a bit of Karate, and hey presto, they make up a "Ju Jitsu" style

Just to play devil's advocate here, but couldn't one say this about 'Gracie Jujitsu'. I mean, no, there isn't any Karate,but its basically just Judo techniques used with an altered strategy. To my knowledge, the Gracie's had absolutely no training or knowledge of 'authentic' Japanese Jujutsu.

#383782 - 10/29/08 01:44 PM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: Ames]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Possibly, but the thing with Gracie Jiu Jitsu is that they tell people it is what it is i.e. their Jiu Jitsu, their method of Jiu Jitsu. They don't pretend that it is some antiquated art form from medieval Japan. They are clear and direct about what they were taught, and how they adapted it, and how it came to be. They also named it to show it's unique identity, in comparison to traditional JJ.

I have read that at the time of Count Mitsuyo Maeda arriving in Brazil the term "Judo" wasn't widely in use. Some folks referred to what we considered as Judo as "Kano's Ju Jutsu" or "Kodokan Ju Jutsu". The Gracies may have been following that trend.

My initial objection was people using a full title made up of Japanese (e.g. "Atemi Aiki-Jutsu") for JJ to make is seem like a traditional Japanese Art, in order to get Samauri Fantasists in through the door. It's an abuse of a culture and language to turn a quick buck in many cases.

People would be better following the Gracies example and calling any new interrpretation of JJ after themselves or the place it originated from e.g. Robert Clarke could call his style "British Ju Jitsu" or "Clarkes Ju Jitsu" to show that it is something he created out of his own experience, rather than having people in the WJJF tell everyone they are learning a "traditional Japanese art".

#383783 - 10/29/08 04:28 PM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: Prizewriter]
JMWcorwin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SoCal, USA

nuff said.. new thread.

#383784 - 11/02/08 01:43 PM Re: Neko-ryu Goshin Jitsu: Thoughts/Opinions? [Re: JMWcorwin]
Ames Offline
Veteran

Don't you love it when people declare a thread as being "done"? It's a great way to kill what could be an interesting conversation. These are discussion boards after all. If you don't feel like the reading the thread, then don't. But to declare it "done" is very rude, no matter how many greaemlins you throw out there.

Prizewriter:

I agree with you that someone should be upfront about where their style of jujitsu came from. I often read sites where the jujitsu is obviously modern, yet it gives it's history as coming from 'ancient Samurai techniques etc."

My point was more that there are indeed new takes on jujutsu that appear from time to time that have merit. However, the style should make clear where its origins come from, this I agree with.

--Chris

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga