FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#383454 - 02/17/08 05:00 PM Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation?
drmickey Offline

Hi, on Sunday the 10th of February I attended a seminar and grading hosted by the Institute of Krav Maga (London)in Essex, UK – The seminar was taught by the global chief instructor Eyal Yanilov.

There were over 200 participants from all over the country and at different levels – P2-P5. The seminar lasted for about 2 hours.

I thought that the global instructor would give an interesting seminar – give us an insight that that we would not normally get at a regular class – That wasn’t the case - There was nothing covered that would not be part of a regular class. One thing he spent about 30 minutes on was the ‘escape from a choke’, which personally I don’t think would happen in reality (you know what I am talking about – where the attacker grabs the neck with out-stretched arms!). Although he did try to be humorous, when approached he wasn’t as friendly! Following the ‘techniques’ he proceeded to demonstrate some stretching exercises and give some advice on body alignment! What this had to do with a reality-based self-defense seminar bewilders me!

The grading commenced after a lunch break –
Personally, I find that gradings are just a measure of how well you remember a set number of moves! The only martial arts that actually earn their belts are those practitioners of Judo and Brazilian Ju Jitsu – they have to fight for their belts!

My partner and I were missing trivial things and were picked up on them. It seemed that the guy supervising our section was just showing off his style! I thought we were going to fail. Krav Maga is about getting out of a situation with a measure of skill and aggression – missing a footing or a certain strike (which would have complicated the escape) was being pedantic.

Although, they were trying to maintain a standard and some of those grading failed- I think there's a great cannon between knowing material sufficient to pass a grading and knowing how to react in a real situation! While I was grading I was looking at others and I saw flimsy, half hearted efforts when executing moves.

I am not going to grade in KM again - I don't see the point. I fear that KM is going the way of other martial arts - down the commercial route. There are a lot of superfluous techniques that have nothing to do with self defence and more to do with filling a syllabus to justify a grading. I think that the IKMF is concerned with making money and just like other like minded MA organisations it ‘encourages’ its students to attend seminars and grading!
One of the selling points of KM for me was that it stands out from other MAs was that there were no belt systems and no grading - just practical SD.

From what I saw last week, a lot people there were training towards a grading rather than training for what KM offers – a practical SD system…..! Passing a grade doesn’t necessarily say one is going to be effective in a real situation and I think if they measure their progress by how many strips they have they may be deluded into a false sense of security…..
I was mixed with a few guys at one point and I barely tapped their groin guards and they were nearly on their knees – They obviously don't strike in their training - in other words they don’t train with a realistic mind set!

KM is becoming popular and is being marketed as being one of the best self defence systems in the world – I have seen in several advertisements on KM websites mentioning of KM in movies and which movie star practice it – Is that what it’s about? Just because Jennifer Lopez did it in ‘Enough’ does that warrant the claim that it is a practical SD system? I have never seen a real life scenario where KM was used in an actual street attack.

I hope that KM doesn’t develop a bad reputation for been a watered down non-reality based martial arts system!

So, why did I bother grading - well, I was interested in taking part in one of the training breaks abroad KM do - and one of the entry requirements are to be at a certain grade - After my experience of this seminar I don't think I will waste my money and time doing that now!

Anyone else have a similar feeling towards KM?

Thanks,

#383455 - 02/17/08 05:33 PM Re: Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation? [Re: drmickey]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
My only direct dealing with Krav Maga was that it was slick and highly commercialized.

There was an American Kenpo teacher who was originally offered the franchise for the area where I used to live. For the tremendous amount of money he would have had to spent, he would have gotten 3 days of training and a video set. He declined.

Sure, the guy who took the 3 day training is making his money back and then some. Even quit his regular job and expanded into quite a large operation.

But if you train in KM, chances are, you will learn everything that teacher knows in 24 hours of classes. So it comes as no surpise that the world leader s offering only a 2 hour general seminar with no new information. If he offered a weekend seminar as is so common in Japanese arts, they would have to give instructor credentials to everyone.

#383456 - 02/17/08 06:45 PM Re: Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation? [Re: JAMJTX]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

My only direct dealing with Krav Maga was that it was slick and highly commercialized.

All I can say is that their marketing has been first rate!

#383457 - 02/17/08 06:51 PM Re: Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation? [Re: JKogas]
JAMJTX Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
Absolutely. They know how to sell.
Anyone in any business can learn a lot from them.

#383458 - 02/17/08 07:01 PM Re: Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation? [Re: drmickey]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I trained for about a year in KM and really loved it for the most part, but left for a very simple reason - I got bored. I really appreciate the way KM deals with gross motor skills for SD, and it can be learned quickly and effectively. I also really liked the conditioning aspect, because some of the conditions we were set to spar or fight under were RIDICULOUS. There really is something to be said for being pushed to your physical limit, and THEN being expected to defend yourself.
However, after I got the jist of the curriculum I realized that it was just repetition and that I might as well spend time conditioning for the sake of conditioning. The skillset was incredibly basic and I felt like there was an 'academic' side of the style that was severely lacking.
I think this is why you see superfluous techniques in the curriculum now, and the advertising juggernaut - the KM organizations don't want to make their $ from weekend seminars. They want steady, dependable income and don't want to lose students who wish to pursue other ideas and arts.
Krav played a big part in my MA life, as I took it up when I first moved to Chicago and I got some valuable tools out of it that helped me feel safer here. But after that point I just got plain sick of it.
2 cents, nothing more.

#383459 - 02/17/08 07:05 PM Re: Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation? [Re: JAMJTX]
TKD-Skippi Offline

Loc: Scotland, Selkirk
all i've seen of of KM is guys who are suposed to be ex royal marine commandos or U.S Navy seals etc going on about how there art is the only way and that we're all gong to die tomorow from bieng un prepared for an attacker...who better to teach you how to fight off Dr X than Action-man....for he is simply the greatest heroe of them all.
Do not be overcome by evil , but overcome evil with good -Romans 13:21

#383460 - 02/19/08 12:06 AM Re: Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation? [Re: TKD-Skippi]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA

#383461 - 02/19/08 10:47 PM Re: Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation? [Re: drmickey]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Interesting...

Sorry you had that experience with KM but as with anything that goes mainstream and is intended to be profitable, it will follow a predictable path of least resistance. What sells KM and FIGHT to the masses (not necessarily to the dedicated practioners here) is not the art and it's heritage, but the "image" it has. It essentially appeals to the executives and soccer moms who want the idea and image of being able to defend themselves with the "same stuff" used by a legendary military force. Serious KM/ FIGHT guys deal with this all the time in their classes watching 80+% of the students decline to spar with any real contact, happy to go the rough the motions and buy a t-shirt.

There are serious students who would be formidable in any system but they are generally in the minority as the main focus of the training does not address their needs and tends to push them into coaching roles.

#383462 - 03/03/08 01:14 AM Re: Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation? [Re: drmickey]
sfq88 Offline
Stranger

I'm by no means an expert and don't mean to put any system down, but I did take "regular" KM classes in the UK and started to feel like it was more commercialized than I wanted, simply in large part because it seemed as though they were trying to put more people in the room. I think anytime you get 200 people in a room, you're not learning anything and unless there are dozens of instructors, you're just wasting your time.

I had good luck with Stewart McGill (not being paid or anything here...). He was instructing in CKM but formed his own school for various reasons, I wouldn't doubt part of it for financial/political reasons. He was a great instructor, held 4 classes/week around London and even if the class sizes got up to 20+, he was able to give a lot of personal attention and had a few jr. instructors who roamed around as well. He also mixed it up a bit for more advanced students-although I was not too advanced, for those long term students, he mixed in some good grappling instructions and other techniques from his varied MA background.

I moved back to the states and am on my way to a Haganah FIGHT class next week which Stewart recommended, and I have to say, he was such a good teacher that we're following his advice. That and I can't find another KM instructor close enough to me to make it efficient for me to go to classes.

And like I said, I swear he's not paying me for this. Just google his name and london krav and he'll come up.

#383463 - 03/03/08 09:41 AM Re: Is Krav Maga loosing its reputation? [Re: sfq88]
martialartspeon Offline

Ranks in Krav Maga! Crazy I never had the impression true krav maga practitioners gave a [censored] about a rank.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga