FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#383285 - 02/18/08 09:28 PM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: TKD-Skippi]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I'm not sure if I wasn't clear or no one really wants to answer. Maybe it's not a fair question given the million different scenario's.

I know that getting out of the situation is always the best option. I hope most people know that by now.

What is your bread and butter technique(s)?

Most people get really good at a handful of techniques even though they may "know" 600.

What would be your best unarmed weapon that is TKD based.

#383286 - 02/18/08 09:50 PM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: BrianS]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I'm not sure if I wasn't clear or no one really wants to answer. Maybe it's not a fair question given the million different scenario's.

I know that getting out of the situation is always the best option. I hope most people know that by now.

Most people get really good at a handful of techniques even though they may "know" 600.

If you're looking for the simple answer that can be applied in a variety of scenarios (accept for possibly life threatening), then I would have to say a "Stun & Strike". A quick low snap kick to the shin or a hard slap to the face for the stun with a nice hard palm heel strike to the nose, which at minimal will tear up the eyes and at worse break the nose causing enough pain and disorientation to make a get away. But again, depending on the situation. It really is hard to say !

VDJ

#383287 - 02/18/08 10:31 PM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: BrianS]
EvenRats Offline

Quote:

I believe that question was answered already, no? In that case; side kick or low front snap kick to the shins and a punch to the nose/mouth. You have to look into the environment and setting of the place. Most of the time you'll find yourself using even the most simplest yet effective techniques.

#383288 - 02/19/08 04:28 PM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: EvenRats]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Brian, I think I answered your question.

#383289 - 02/19/08 04:33 PM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: badachagi]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Your 3200 figure brings to mind a question. Do you think it's necessarily better to have so many options to draw from when your in a high pressure situation like SD? The reason why I ask is that I've seen hapkido instructors who also claims to teach "thousands" of techniques useful for SD. Many of these techniques are probably useful, but I am forced to wonder how many them you'll really need.

I would have to agree with this and why I earlier stated; "I think anything that has to happen has to be with basics; nothing fancy."

However, I think it is good to know many things and have many tools in your tool box as some of those tools you have have use for but when it all boils down to things; the basics are what work and why they are continually trained by all over and over.

#383290 - 02/19/08 04:55 PM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: BrianS]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

I think for almost any striking art the answer is most likely the forefist punch. Some prefer maybe palm strikes, or finger tips and develop them in such a way as to be as effective for them as a forefist punch. However the bottom line is that a linear technique with a hard striking tool is the most basic and most important attack.

For me I would always use the forefist punch. I would like to think that I would have enough accuracy to hit the throat or, solar plexus or temple of an attacker, I know that this may not be the case, and so a hard tool like the forefist is perfect, because it will still cause significant pain and damage to harder targets. It is also how I spar, I use gloves and rarely use anything except straight punches and short hooks. Of course there are plenty of other perfectly viable techniques that one could use, but what I end up using when I spar are hooks and straight punches, so I expect this is how I would defend myself.

At the same time, I think the most important thing about self defense, leaving technique aside for the moment, is a burst of aggression and explosiveness that allows you to become the attacker rather than your opponent. Sometimes, I don't think it is possible to think about using control to not maim your attacker, your primary concern should simply be to stop the threat that they pose. And if you are actually needing to use your self defense, then you are probably in considerable danger since de-escalation has not worked.

#383291 - 02/19/08 10:27 PM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: Supremor]
flynch Offline

Primary techniques I would be looking at using in this situation. Bread and butter

Punch to the head and front snap kick just above the waiste.

#383292 - 02/20/08 03:52 AM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: flynch]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
slap them in the face with some buttered bread... blinds them. As I run away I lead them onto a patch of spread butter so they slip over and hurt themselves.

Failing that, backfist/side-kick

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#383293 - 02/20/08 11:54 AM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: trevek]
EvenRats Offline

Quote:

slap them in the face with some buttered bread... blinds them. As I run away I lead them onto a patch of spread butter so they slip over and hurt themselves.

THE ART OF SLAPPING BUTTERED BREAD FACE NEVER FAILS.

#383294 - 03/11/08 10:39 AM Re: Using TKD in a SD situation [Re: trevek]
von1 Offline

Quote:

He who runs today, lives to fight tomorrow!

(next day), I slapped him, back fisted, snapped kicked, side kicked, choppep his neck pulled their eyes out and made their friends eat them, all 12 of them, well I would have , but I had to get home.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga