FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#381758 - 02/07/08 10:05 PM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun control. [Re: MAGon]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
I'm not a leo, but I was in the sharp end of the military, if that counts for anything.

I have a relativly unusual take on gun control - I would like to see very stringent training as a requirement for owning a firearm - something like a 6 week boot camp, you do it once when you are young, and then you have the right to own a firearm for the rest of your life, as long as every X years (5?) you get a psych exam and undergo a firing range test. on top of that, you are resposnble for every gun you buy, until it is sold legally or destroyed under control - so if your gun is stolen, or some kid uses it, you are resposnble both criminally and in terms of liability.

that would be my preference. in reality - I think that gun owners should self regulate - I think that it is smarter to have one gun rather than 2, less is better, unless you are totally sure that you will always be able to control the weapons and not lose them.

#381759 - 02/12/08 10:37 PM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun contro [Re: fileboy2002]
animematt Offline

I personally just got my CCW licence. I have been carry my .357 magnum around with me when I feel like it.
Feels a bit odd to have all that weight oon my hip though.

#381760 - 02/12/08 10:44 PM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun contro [Re: Kimo2007]
animematt Offline

Not really. Australia and the UK have a higher violent crime rate. And they have basically banned all guns, and knives.

#381761 - 02/13/08 12:30 AM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun contro [Re: animematt]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Not really. Australia and the UK have a higher violent crime rate. And they have basically banned all guns, and knives.

Look at your murder per capita rates, US is way up on the list,

Murder rates by country

Well ahead of Aussie and the UK.

#381762 - 02/13/08 02:59 PM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun contro [Re: Kimo2007]
animematt Offline

I never said murder rate.
I said violent crime rate.
in Australia, their assault and break in rate has sky rocketed ever since they decided to ban guns.
I heard a story about how one guy got a muzzle loader taken away cause it was "a extremely high caliber"

#381763 - 02/13/08 08:00 PM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun contro [Re: animematt]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I'm ex-LEO, and my personal feelings about gun control is that everyone should be trained to use firearms, and have the ability to carry them unrestricted. We've had lots of "perfect storm" killings where the presence of a gun would have saved lives, such as the Virginia Tech massacre... but the "gun free zone" only applied to law abiding citizens. Thugs and killers don't care what the rules are... they have evil to do... and all gun control does in that situation is make it easier for them.

I own guns and shoot almost every weekend. I have a concealed carry permit, and often am "heavily armed" when I go out... meaning primary weapon and backups. Having been an LEO, I also know to carry enough ammo to engage in a gunfight if one started... a lot of gunfights go to the guy that doesn't run out of ammunition.

Understanding how to handle guns, and making them "nothing special" takes a lot of the risk out of them. If you learn to handle them safely, and stick to the rules, you should never have trouble... and if you need the weapon, you'll know how to handle it.

A couple of months ago, I had a van full of illegals that tried to "bum rush" my car at the ATM, and all I had to do to stop it was pull out my .40 cal Smith and rack it in front of them... they piled back in the van and sped off... so the "view of a gun" has value of protection as well as the ability to shoot somebody. Thugs look for victims... not confrontations... and when they find themselves outgunned, or trying a victim that turns out not to be a victim... they fold pretty quick.

The saying is "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by six"... and a gun's presence is a safety valve for a lot of situations, and while it provides "deadly force", it also provides "stopping power" when perps see it pointed in their direction.

It takes training, and regular practice, however to be both safe and effective.

#381764 - 02/13/08 10:37 PM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun contro [Re: wristtwister]
animematt Offline

I hope I am never in a situation like that.
Since I am rather small, it is tough for me to carry a lot of things. Even my revolver prints well if I do not have a coat on. Then I just have a walther p1.
I felt a bit uncomfortable carrying a loaded gun into the grocery store the other day. But I am sure I will get used to it.
I also think anyone should be able to carry and use firearms (after background check, etc etc.)

#381765 - 02/14/08 04:46 PM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun contro [Re: fileboy2002]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
People should be allowed to own guns to protect themselves providing they are law-abiding people. If you look at the situation during Hurricane Katrina, you know that the police can't always be there to protect you and there are always going to be some that will take that kind of situation and turn it into a chance to go and terrorize/rob/rape/or loot.

#381766 - 03/04/08 02:41 PM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun control. [Re: laf7773]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
Do you think it is possible to believe something is morally wrong yet recognize that criminalizing it is bad public policy? That is what we are really talking about here: criminalization. The "pro-life" movement is really a pro-criminalization movement.

Making abortion illegal will not stop people from having them. People in the US had abortions before it became letgal; all over the world, wherever abortion is illegal, people still have abortions.

I alwasy want to ask: how much prison time would you have a women aerve because she got an abortion?

#381767 - 03/04/08 04:35 PM Re: What do the LEO on here think about gun contro [Re: Kimo2007]
SBudda Offline

Loc: ATL
First, I'd complain that those rates are almost a decade old - though they do cover the years immediately after the UK firearms ban in 1997.

But you have to keep in mind that at the time of the ban, firearms ownership in the UK was under 1% (in comparison to the US's almost 30% ownership). Before the ban the rates of firearm usage (used in a crime, not necessarily to shoot someone) in the UK was 13,874, in 2002 it was 24,070. Interestingly enough, a significant portion of those numbers (about 3000) were fake handguns.

Actual shooting incidents went from 2,378 in 1998/99 to 5,001 in 2005/06 - a 110% increase.

The actual data is from here, and here

During the same period, US gun crime dropped significantly. Statistics are like Bible quotes though - anyone can use them to say what they want them to say. Take these with a grain of salt.

Interestingly enough, there is a city here in Georgia (one exit north of me) where it is the law that homeowners must have a gun - unless exempted by law. The gun crime rate has dropped 50% while the population rose over 500%. an annoying story about it

What does this all mean? Hell if I know! But I like guns - I'm one of those weirdo collectors - and I think they should be legal for all sane people. I also admit that finding out if someone is sane or not is difficult. It is interesting that CCW holders in Florida are 840 times less likely to commit a crime than non-permit holders. So maybe I should be worried about people who don't have permits...

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga