FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Yesterday at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#381646 - 02/05/08 09:38 AM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who can you beat? [Re: JohnL]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I might have to agree with John; especially since I'm a Pros vs. Joes fan. I'm a Joe for sure and in my best days I had some phenomenal game days in wresling, football and soccer but nothing like a Pro. I think with adequate training I could hold my own against quite a few guys but I'd never rise to the top. I would get to see a lot of canvas whether it is from my back or face down in my own spit and blood. Nope, it would be fun but not for me. They say the training is the hardest part and I believe that 100% and I know I don't have the ability to train like many of them and that high of a calibre. I weight lift and do martial arts religiously and have for over 10 years however I'm not the cream of the crop.

#381647 - 02/05/08 10:06 AM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who can you beat? [Re: JohnL]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

with the retired Pro's taking it easy, it's apparent that the average guy has nowhere near the ability of a Pro and even less understanding of what the Pro's can actually do.

I agree totaly, but keep in mind that leben is the only guy to lose TWICE in the same series where he was trying to become a pro fighter. He got his shot because of the hystrionics he pulled on that show, not his fighting ability. That makes him a 'Joe' as well IMO.

Quote:

I'm sorry fella's but you Joe's are what you are. Joe's, who will never even understand what it takes to compete at the highest levels.

Now now, lets not make an ASSumptions. I have trained, and trained with many high level athletes (national/international) from various disciplines, and have never felt completely out of my depth, and if I do say so myself, i feel that being shortlisted for my National under 21's rugby squad, before a heartbreaking (and nearly neck breaking) injury put a stop to fullfilling my potential, means that I might qualify as an 'above average' Joe.

Besides, this is a fun thread, its not supposed to be taken seriously.

Go Go Armchair Warriors!!

Superpotatoechipazord- Energize!!!!!

#381648 - 02/05/08 10:44 AM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who can you beat? [Re: Cord]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hey Cord

I am keeping it light hearted I promise you. The experience level which you note is similar to some of the Joe's on the show and they get trashed. It's as simple as that.

A story from many years ago;

I fenced internationally for 13 years repesenting both England and GB. I was at a tournament in Huddersfield and fencing in an early round. The top fencers generally use the early rounds as a warm up for the more serious fencing later.

I fenced a guy who was a county level fencer. I beat him 5-1 with very little effort. After our fight, he took me aside and explained how he thought I was a bit lucky in our fight. I said, "What do you mean, the result was fairly clear."

He then gave me a lengthy explanation of how at the beginning of the fight he hadn't warmed up properly and that had given me the first couple of hits, that he then got an off target hit which had only just missed, he then got his hit and if he'd been lucky that I might have been a bit nervous and he could have exploited that.

According to a good freind of mine, I exploded at the top of my voice so all 300+ fencers at the event could hear, "F**k me Ray, you don't even KNOW how good I am!!!"

(I was such an angry young man in those days!)

Sorry Cord, you're a JOE!!!

By the way, I reckon that I could trash Liddell

#381649 - 02/05/08 11:53 AM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who can you beat? [Re: JohnL]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Sorry Cord, you're a JOE!!!

I didnt disagree, my choice of Leben is based on the fact that so is he.

#381650 - 02/05/08 12:58 PM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who could you beat? [Re: BrianS]
chingei Offline

Quote:

For everyone else. "It's what you've done." Yes,but being a single father with a fulltime job + overtime and lots of other responsibilities I doub I could compete. Given the opportunit to train full time I would be a good competetitor.

The problem is that without at least some kind of evidence to go on its entirely theoretical. Anyone at all could open their mouth and say "I could do this" or "I could do that" if only they had the time to train but its kind of empty, isn't it?

#381651 - 02/05/08 01:26 PM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who could you beat? [Re: chingei]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

The problem is that without at least some kind of evidence to go on its entirely theoretical. Anyone at all could open their mouth and say "I could do this" or "I could do that" if only they had the time to train but its kind of empty, isn't it?

Oi!! THIS IS FOR FUN!!! ITS NOT A SERIOUS THREAD!!!!

Look, this is where Brian is coming from- we all (who watch MMA at least) sit in judgement of the fights we see. We, as spectators, all size up the competitors performances, we have opinions regarding their strengths and weaknesses as we see them.
Now what Brian has done is come up with thread FOR FUN , that allows you to apply that critical skill to yourselves, and having analysed your own fighting strengths and weaknesses, come up with an MMA star who you feel would be an oponent that would best play into your hands.
If you think its lame, then dont post. if you think that it might be a fun exercise, or a light hearted way of exploring your self critique, then lets hear ya

Again, I chose Leben, because he makes hard work of journeyman oposition, lacks mental focus, has a very open guard, cant punch worth a sh1t, and is about 40 lbs lighter than me.
From this you can see how much I respect UFC ahletes in general, because any with genuine professional level skill would take me out nice and quick.

#381652 - 02/05/08 02:01 PM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who could you beat? [Re: Cord]
chingei Offline

I didn't mean to ruin the fun by looking at the situation realistically.

#381653 - 02/05/08 03:16 PM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who could you beat? [Re: chingei]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

I didn't mean to ruin the fun by looking at the situation realistically.

You are, go ahead and join EFRAIN.

Cord,

I'm glad you get it!!

Realistically, Sylvia would pound my head into the next millenium. Realistically, I am a JOE. So what?

Now, back to my fun thread.

Matt Serra sucks. He got lucky shot even to fight GSP, he's nowhere near on his level. With time and training, I could kick MS's a$$!!

p.s. I think kimo needs therapy.

#381654 - 02/05/08 03:21 PM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who could you beat? [Re: BrianS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

p.s. I think kimo needs therapy.

Please do expound,,,,

#381655 - 02/05/08 03:58 PM Re: Armchair fighters rule!!! Who could you beat? [Re: BrianS]
EFRAIN Offline

Loc: Paterson, NJ USA
LOL Ok some people are getting fiesty in here lol. oK I'll join... Well, i'll take on all the fighters. lol But seriously i'm sure we all agree here that there was one guy in the last tuff series that many of us here can more than likely beat, i forgot his name but he was obvoiusly not a fighter. I dont know how he got in there. I think he actually became the vegans best buddy after a while. And from UFC guys well i like to fight good fighters so it would be interesting to fight st pierre and or the spider enderson silvia but thats just a thought lol

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga