FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#381571 - 02/05/08 08:08 AM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Thank you Cord. Exactly what I mean!

#381572 - 02/05/08 09:30 AM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Kimo2007]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Quote:

no one is claiming that the UFC is a street fight. But it is the closest thing you can get to, in pro sports.

True, but my point/opinion is that had this been a street fight, the outcome would have been different which strikes at the heart of being the most realistic, doesn't it?

You almost got this right Kimo. If this was a street fight then Mir would have pulled out at gun and shot Lesnar and all of this would be finished within a second and nobody would have needed to strike let alone go to the ground. If you want to compare everything to a street fight then compare it to a street fight; include weapons and include multiple opponents, include weather conditions, include cement and objects in the way. Do you for one think that Frank Mir doesn't know some dirty fighting that may have put Lesnar away early on the street?

Lesnar is a big boy and he has size and strength going for him. He may have been a top wrestler in his time but when watching his workout and kicking, they were not that good. In the fight his punching had no real power behind it especially for a guy that size. And obviously his ground game needs some work. Lesnar is a work in progress and will get better the more he trains and the more he fights. The key word is "fight" as these are fights and though they are a sport, meaning have rules to protect the fighters from very serious harm such as death, it is still a fight.

I expect more from Brock if he decides to continue with this as now he has a taste of what he is up against.

#381573 - 02/05/08 10:59 AM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: shills11]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

From our friends at MartialTalk:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59687

Quote:

Brock Lesnar: $250,000
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: $200,000
Tim Sylvia: $100,000
Frank Mir: $80,000
Nate Marquardt: $52,000
Ricardo Almeida: $40,000
Tyson Griffin: $36,000
Jeremy Horn: $25,000
Chris Lytle: $24,000
Rob Emerson: $16,000
Marvin Eastman: $14,000
Tim Boetsch: $12,000
Terry Martin: $12,000
Gleison Tibau: $11,000
David Heath: $6,000
Keita Nakamura: $5,000
Rob Yundt: $5,000
Kyle Bradley: $4,000

Note newbie Brock's pay out compared to champion Frank and Tim's - COMBINED! Dana's got some 'splaining to do!!!!

#381574 - 02/05/08 11:06 AM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Dereck]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

:sigh:

Pulling out guns? Mayweather V Hatton? Are you guys even trying to understand where I am coming from here?

Did it not appear to you the Mir was completly overmatched right up until the end?

Did it not look to you as if BL could impose himself at will against Mir?

Maybe I am crazy, maybe Mir had BL right where he wanted him when he head was bouncing between his fist and the Mat.

I'll grant you BL's skills were lacking, fight should have been over in seconds with the openings he had.

I am not saying Mir didn't win the match, I am just saying it looked more like he escaped and that left me unsatisfied with the match.

PS Why do you guys always come at me in gangs, feels like someone is about to steal my lunch money.

#381575 - 02/05/08 11:51 AM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Kimo2007]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

:sigh:

Pulling out guns? Mayweather V Hatton? Are you guys even trying to understand where I am coming from here?

I do understand where you are coming from- you feel the same way about this, as I do about the patriots not winning the 'bowl. If the Patriots winning season is compared to Brock's dominance in GNP, and then the Giants winning that one, most significant game is compared to Mir getting the submission against the trend of the fight, then you have and exact parallel.

Quote:

Did it not look to you as if BL could impose himself at will against Mir?

Looks are decieving. Clearly if that were the case, then Lesnar would have won. That is simple logic.

Quote:

Maybe I am crazy, maybe Mir had BL right where he wanted him when he head was bouncing between his fist and the Mat.

Maybe he did. Maybe, having felt the lack of power in the strikes, mir decided to eat a few knowing that Lesnar would focus and overcommit to this tactic, leaving his legs open to a reversal/submission. Never forget that in his prime, Mir was a champion, and considered one of the best ground fighters in the business. He only lost the title to a motorcycle, not a human.

Quote:

I'll grant you BL's skills were lacking, fight should have been over in seconds with the openings he had.

This is why he lost.

Quote:

I am not saying Mir didn't win the match, I am just saying it looked more like he escaped and that left me unsatisfied with the match.

So, would you feel the same way if he had got up and found a flash-KO by haymaker? or is it that you simply dont count pain compliance tapouts as a 'real' way to win a fight?

Quote:

PS Why do you guys always come at me in gangs, feels like someone is about to steal my lunch money.

People answer as individuals on here. If you make a post saying ice is hot, expect thousands to 'gang up' and point out your error. As it is, a tiny number of people have voiced simple disagreement with your opinion on the fight, or more accurately, your perception of what constitutes a fair and proper win.

Watch enough of any fight sport and you will see the unpredictability in its nature- its half the fun of it.

#381576 - 02/05/08 12:11 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Brilliant post, Cord. Spot on again!

Kimo, not trying to "gang up" on you at all. Having done just a bit of BJJ/MMA myself, and having watched the UFC's from the beginning, my perspective is a bit different from yours. The type of victory you saw is actually not uncommon in MMA, and really not reflective of any "rules bias" in favor of grapplers. Google the Royce Gracie/Kimo Leopoldo match from the early, far less rule-restrictive UFC's. Kimo pounded the hell out of Gracie for the entire match, then BANG! Royce taps him out!

If anything, the rule changes "favor" strikers far more now than they did in the past ie; no-action stand-up rules. The unpredictabilty of MMA with "striker's luck" and "submission skill" is one of the things I really enjoy about it.

#381577 - 02/05/08 12:16 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Kimo2007]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Lesnar is huge he is obviously a very strong man Mir couldn't and was not even able to hold or pull him into a guard to stop the head punches. As for the rules saving Mir thats what they are for to abid by.

Though the tell of the tape showed 10lbs difference this was definitely a smaller man vs. bigger man fight strength wise Mir was out matched; skill wise I'd call even except for versitility Lesnar didn't have any idea how to counter a knee bar or leg lock.

Lesnar did show the amazing balance and control of a wrestler spinning in mount like a man half his weight (which still be 140lb after weigh in). He has powerful stand up didn't see enough to say it was skill standup but he was powerful.

I'd still say that he was a bust a like size and strength MMA would still beat him most time, being big and strong is not enough but like we saw hell it almost was.

That was another great victory for Frank Mir.

Edited by Neko456 (02/05/08 12:26 PM)

#381578 - 02/05/08 12:39 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Neko456]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
http://uk.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=MultiMedia.video

check this for post fight interviews - if you havent allready - mir obviously had a game plan and he explains why he took a "couple" of shots heavy shots and what it felt like

#381579 - 02/05/08 12:42 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Cord]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

So, would you feel the same way if he had got up and found a flash-KO by haymaker? or is it that you simply dont count pain compliance tapouts as a 'real' way to win a fight?

No I would have felt the same.

Quote:

Looks are decieving. Clearly if that were the case, then Lesnar would have won. That is simple logic.

Maybe, but I sure felt a big OH SH** vibe coming from Mir. I think he knew the only way to win was a submission and I also think saw BL giving it to him, he chased that ankle/leg like his life depended on it.

I have seen plenty of fighters take beatings from strikers as a part of their tactic, Gracie in particular, but I felt this fight was different, usually in the other fights the grappler is controling the situation, in this match I felt BL was controlling, except when stopped trying to figure out what to do.

The whole reason I started commenting on the fight was because it was very different then any others I have seen. Granted you guys watch a lot more of these then I do.

Quote:

People answer as individuals on here.

Thats part of the evil deception, you travel in cyber packs waiting for the mighty buffulo to stay from the heard.

#381580 - 02/05/08 01:04 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Kimo2007]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
Also, if you get the chance watch the sylvia v nog post fight conference (featuring sylvia), sylvia is very humbling and at times very funny look out for the whole "i htae Jiu Jitsu" speech

If you take a stand up fight, and someone is being dominated and doesnt look like they have any answers then BANG lights out, the dominator gets KTFO, this happens on more than a few occasions, and this is similar to what happened to lesnar, its still a fight it just didnt turn out the way you thought was "fair" or a befiting victory.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga