FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#381561 - 02/04/08 06:40 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Cord]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

I remember Mir beating Tank Abbot the exact same way. After the fight Abbot said he didnt want to lose like that, but also, he wouldn't want to win like that either

The question of UFC being 'realistic' is a retarded one- its a real fight, plain and simple.

Want to know what would happen bare knuckle/no rules? Lesnar breaks his hand during the GNP, then Mir cranks the ankle hard and fast, breaking the ankle, instead of measured pressure for a tapout. Mir goes to hospital for cuts and concussion, Lesnar loses use of at least 2 limbs for 6 weeks minimum.
No one 'wins' a fight outside of a sporting environment.

Lets hope that this builds Mir's confidence and motivates him to recapture some of his former glory.

I thought it was a kneebar? Anyway, Lesnar goes away with a broken leg and hand.

Lesnar was physically dominant,but his punches were relatively weak compared to his size. Improper punching(more like flailing), lack of technical ability, etc... The only thing that saved Lessnar from losing sooner was his physical sive.

Hey Dana, What happened to your boy you built up so much? You are an idiot!!

Chemo,

Are there any threads on here where you are not bitching and whining? Could you point me to them??

#381562 - 02/04/08 10:19 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: BrianS]
MattyChi Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
Yea, for how huge lesnar is, his punches did not seem to be delivering a lot of damage. His technique and body control just seemed off. To me he just looked like a huge dude with some wrestling ability with really sloppy quazi-effective ground and pound.

#381563 - 02/04/08 10:27 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: MattJ]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I really don't see what you mean.

I mean certain strikes are not allowed and thus changed the likely outcome, it's like an extention of other points people have made where they say if you could ....then grapplers would lose a lot of their advantage.

Quote:

no one is claiming that the UFC is a street fight. But it is the closest thing you can get to, in pro sports.

True, but my point/opinion is that had this been a street fight, the outcome would have been different which strikes at the heart of being the most realistic, doesn't it?

Quote:

So, if anything, putting Frank back on his feet didn't really help him, did it?

Except that he was hurt and the time out allowed him to recover and he realized that the ground was his only chance and went on his back on purpose I thought.

The stopage was the right thing to do under the rules, and the outcome was fair, under the rules. I am just looking at the fight overall and seeing something I think is worth exploring.

UFC has taken the fangs out of striking, rightly so. But by doing so it gives an advantage to some grappling techniques, to me it looked like Mir was able to submit BL because he was somewhat caged by the striking rules, while the grappling techniques are not caged.

Now in reality you can go to the brink with a submisson and stop, it's slower and more methodical then striking and thats really the way the sport needs to be, but I think this fight exposed that there is a lean if you will, to the grappling and a hanicapping of the striking.

Matt you said it shows that skill overcomes size and strength, I contend it didn't really, BL was clearly overwhelming Mir, and if hadn't been on a mat with a ref, it would have been a quick end to Mir, even with BL, caveman like skill.

#381564 - 02/04/08 10:34 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: BrianS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

The only thing that saved Lessnar from losing sooner was his physical sive.

I would say the only thing that saved Mir was BL's sloppyness. He was doing a nice job of catching punches with his face for a while there.

Quote:

Chemo,

Are there any threads on here where you are not bitching and whining? Could you point me to them??

Ease up on the White Lighting there partner.

#381565 - 02/04/08 11:04 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Kimo2007]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

I would say the only thing that saved Mir was BL's sloppyness. He was doing a nice job of catching punches with his face for a while there.

BL threw a lot of punches that connected. I didn't see any of them that had any power besides one or two hammerfists.

Quote:

Ease up on the White Lighting there partner.

NEVER!!!!!

#381566 - 02/04/08 11:07 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Kimo2007]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Quote:

I mean certain strikes are not allowed and thus changed the likely outcome, it's like an extention of other points people have made where they say if you could ....then grapplers would lose a lot of their advantage.

I use to argue that point as well, but I think I was wrong. I don't believe the outcome would change at all if both were given the ability to do the same thing.

Quote:

True, but my point/opinion is that had this been a street fight, the outcome would have been different which strikes at the heart of being the most realistic, doesn't it?

Wrong, two demerits for you.

Quote:

Matt you said it shows that skill overcomes size and strength, I contend it didn't really, BL was clearly overwhelming Mir, and if hadn't been on a mat with a ref, it would have been a quick end to Mir, even with BL, caveman like skill.

I didn't see where Mir was ever hurt. Same outcome on the str33t IMO.

Chemo2007 is a crazy ninja!!!

#381567 - 02/04/08 11:10 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Kimo2007]
MattyChi Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
Quote:

UFC has taken the fangs out of striking, rightly so. But by doing so it gives an advantage to some grappling techniques, to me it looked like Mir was able to submit BL because he was somewhat caged by the striking rules, while the grappling techniques are not caged.

How has disallowing blows to the back of the head taken the fangs out of striking? This statement baffles me. This has been mentioned several times, but boxing doesn't allow blows to the back of the head and boxing is a striking only sport? Boxing doesn't even allow elbows?

Also, after the temporary stoppage they pretty much reverted back to the same exact position, I think Mir actually took some worse shots after they ended back up on the ground again. I feel if there wasn't the temporary stoppage Mir would have worked his way out of the position anyway.

#381568 - 02/04/08 11:48 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: BrianS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I use to argue that point as well, but I think I was wrong. I don't believe the outcome would change at all if both were given the ability to do the same thing.

I really don't buy that at all, each skill set is different. So lets try this, they can have a grappling match, then a striking match, we score them on both and if they are tied, no holds barred as a rubber match!

Quote:

Wrong, two demerits for you.

See white lighting post above.

Quote:

I didn't see where Mir was ever hurt.

How about when BL was dribbling his head like Marcus Hayes...(PM me if you need to know who Marcus Hayes is

Quote:

Chemo2007 is a crazy ninja!!!

Master Farley taught me well...Brianson.

#381569 - 02/04/08 11:55 PM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: MattyChi]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

How has disallowing blows to the back of the head taken the fangs out of striking? This statement baffles me

Thats only one rule of many.

Quote:

but boxing doesn't allow blows to the back of the head and boxing is a striking only sport?

Now you are baffling me, what does bringing up the ruleset of another sport have to do with this match? I am not advocating changing the rules, safety far out weighs everything else. I am just pondering how the rules are in conflict with the correct outcome of a sport fight.

Quote:

Also, after the temporary stoppage they pretty much reverted back to the same exact position

Maybe you should watch the fight. After the stoppage they were stood up it was a few seconds before they returned to the mat, and they returned because Mir chose too.

#381570 - 02/05/08 12:34 AM Re: UFC 81 (possible Spoilers) [Re: Kimo2007]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Quote:

I really don't see what you mean.

No they wouldnt, because then such strikes would be available to them, a nd they would just use adapt their ground game to deal with, and set up the new range of possibilities. A change in rules never effects just one person in a sporting environment. Again, Pride allow 'stomping' of a grounded oponent, and knees to the head from the ground as well- it doesnt mean that all involved in Pride have just given up grappling in favour of a strike only approach, they just deal with these possibilities within their fight strategies.

Quote:

But it was on a mat with a ref. It was a professional fight. You might as well say 'Hatton would have beat Mayweather outside the ring, because he would have smashed a pint glass over his head'

In any fight sport, it is up to the competitor to know the rules, adapt to the rules, and make the rules work for them, or make their fighting style effective within those rules. With the UFC, it is professional, so its a fighters job to do all this. Brock got a great wake up call in this fight, and i am sure that he will focus and train harder at his weaknesses for the future.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga