FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 2
AndyLA 2
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Today at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Today at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432494 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#380838 - 03/07/08 06:48 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: wiggy]
LEATHERNECK1 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Carl,
I was hoping when this thread was started that the discussion would center around the history, traditions, techniques, katas and the great people who were fortunate enough to partake in what Soke offered.Once again the topic has veered into the realm of who's who on the Isshin-Shorinji totem pole.While we are all free to express our opinions here, my fear is that the same rancor and petty squabbling will redevelop and subsequently sink this thread like the last one.That will benefit no one.
We all have our own recollections and appreciation for Soke and our syatem, each relevant to our own era of involvement and personal experiences.No doubt, like myself, there are many who still feel connected to our Kazoku regardless of who claims to be what.All of those mentioned as possible Grandmasters of our system are people I know and hold in high regard, even if I have not seen them for some time.I have studied under several systems, but,have consistantly considered myself to be Isshin-Shorinji karateka.Here I am some 38 years later still working out as best I can,more than a thousand miles away from New Jersey, still reminding myself of the admonitions and advice that Soke gave me and others.I often feel he is right here with me.I am probably not alone in that.His death has actually strengthened my resolve to keep training at the tender age of 65.I do it for myself and to honor him as a great mentor and friend.
It is so cool to come here and enjoy the reminiscing and thoughts of others.I don't want to see this thread devolve over titles, ranks, jealousies.As we have discussed before, Soke eschewed the great emphasis that modern karate in this country places on titles and ranks.More important is how we see ouselves and the way we live.Because I am far away I can say I don't have a "dog in this hunt".My choice is not important to anyone else so it is a private matter.
Perhaps with time those who have the desire and ability will reconcile and some leadership will emerge that will be acceptable to all.Isshin-Shorinji is one of the greatest gifts I recieved in my adult life.None of that will change regardless of who ends up "driving the bus".
Sorry if I am rambling, but, I feel this is disruptive topic that can only divide us from one another.I want to see unity among our Kazoku, as I know Mr. Murphy would demand.

JS

#380839 - 03/08/08 12:22 AM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: LEATHERNECK1]
Chris Wissmann Offline

Perhaps, then, we could change the subject.

Soke Murphy was by all accounts extremely philosophical.

A question I've been asking a lot of interview subjects is:

Martial arts are often metaphorical. What martial-arts teachings of Soke Murphy have you found most useful elsewhere in life?

#380840 - 03/09/08 12:40 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: LEATHERNECK1]
wiggy Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Hi guys, two posts in 48 hours…. Wow I’m on a roll here (yes, and stuck at work on a Sunday).

Jim,

I don’t see how this has veered into that realm yet but do see the potential and apologize for any part I may have in it. I was merely answering SNS’s post and trying to point out the obvious without stepping on anyone’s toes… Even though SNS could easily have asked Master Chirico the same question, I am answering his question as Soke Murphy did with ‘Ronin’ on our last thread (as if he is a non partisan practitioner looking for answers).

I don’t have a grudge towards anyone I spoke of in my last post as I have never met Master Chirico, hold Shihan Frances in very high regard along with his students, and have pleasantly had conversations with Master Ansari and others… I am merely pointing out that several people may hold the ‘title’ and in the end it really doesn’t matter because all that matters is our history and teachings of Soke Murphy.

This thread was started up in active, respectful discussion of our system, if others feel the same way on this particular topic being ‘too hot to handle’ right now then I agree to let it just drop.

In answer to Chris Wissman’s change of topic. I have to say that Soke’s phrase ‘There is not a right or wrong way, just a better way.’ , has always stuck in my mind and made me try and apply it towards life with regards to looking at almost anything (politics, religion, etc…)… Not to say that I follow it at all times, but that I try.’

Carl (no rank, no title, no looking for trouble)

#380841 - 03/09/08 01:55 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: wiggy]
sn7ns Offline

In the book Asian Fighting Arts it is mentioned that the Isshin ShorinJi Ryu System was a dropped system in Okinnowa?

#380842 - 03/09/08 03:06 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: wiggy]
LEATHERNECK1 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi Carl, so far this has been an informative thread.I just want to see it continue in that direction.There have been some really good contributions so far.
I am wondering how many times "SNS" has to ask and be responded to for the same questions, not only on this site ,but, also another site I occassionally visit.He has never acknowledged any of the responses rendered by others here.I question his sincerity and interest because he only has two questions on his mind.He has been answered ad nauseum.
I suggest we accept that there is no shortage of great masters and practitioners of Isshin-Shorinji ryu as a result of Soke's passion to share.I won't bring the subject up again.
Sorry to hear you are stuck working on sunday.Here on the Nature Coast of Florida it is presently 73 degrees.I think a bike ride is in order. Hasta luego!
JS

#380843 - 03/11/08 08:59 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: Chris Wissmann]
paddles Offline

Chris,
Sensei believed that you lived the art, no matter what your endeavor you were practicing what you learned in the dojo. I know you've seen the picture of Sensei with Grandmasters Nagle and Shimabuku in front of the eight precepts of Isshin Ryu.
Both Sensei and Shimabuku felt that these were not just rules for combat but were also rules for life. I feel this is a pretty universal concept. I was in a class with Master Tohei some years ago and he said it quite simply; "As long as I am alive I extend ki." Sensei like these other masters understood that the martial arts were, like breathing, inseparable from life.

#380844 - 03/12/08 01:40 AM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: paddles]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Sorry to interrupt, but have you guys thought about starting your own 'sensei worship' forum? you can do so here for free: http://www.forumup.com/

just trying to help since it's just a matter of time before someone of questionable character like me, trolls this thread until it's locked.

#380845 - 03/12/08 07:24 AM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: wiggy]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

… How do we get men back to being men?... Albeit a lot of philosophy and ‘semantics’ as to what you consider a man to be….

Man.

One definition is the name given to the male specie of the genus homo- ?.

Given the context of the name of the thread are you refering to how a man should behave in regards to your art?

I cant answer your question unless you put in to more detail what it is your asking. To behave like a man in the strict sense would be to exist for basic survival.

Maybe if you discuss techniques/ principles in your art it might make the conversation more inline with martial arts education?

Jude

Edited by jude33 (03/12/08 07:31 AM)

#380846 - 03/12/08 07:49 AM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: jude33]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
just a polite request to all, this thread is for the discussion of Isshin Shorinji, and it has been of interest to a number of their karateka.

Anyone not involved need not read and comment, and if you chose to, keep it sensible and polite please,within reason,

This also saves me modding duties.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#380847 - 03/12/08 05:47 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: Ed_Morris]
chris12 Offline

Hey Eddie, who are you and why are you here starting trouble. This thread was meant to get rid of people like you. Go away!

Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga