FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 01:18 PM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432448 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 8 of 19 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#380828 - 03/05/08 11:27 AM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: Ed_Morris]
Chris Wissmann Offline

I'm actually a little bummed. I've never liked or enjoyed weapons, but— and this is probably the ten-year-old Star Wars lightsaber fan in me— I've always had a fascination with the sword. I heard that Soke Murphy did use swords in demonstrations, so I hoped he had brought a boken or katana kata into the system that I could someday learn.

#380829 - 03/05/08 01:54 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: Chris Wissmann]
paddles Offline

Chris
Sensei did use swords in his demo. He stated that a weapon was analogous to a body part and functioned as an extension. A common theme in Okinawan weapons. Almost any form you can name has been done with sais for example.
Actually, you would be in keeping with Sensei's thoughts on the art if you went off to explore other arts or systems. He felt that you should not be limited to a single path.

In the 60's he encouraged people to go out and study. If you look at the list on the original thread you will notice that a number of his students brought a number of different disciplines back, to be folded in. Sensei traveled to New York to work with Mr Bill Chung, and an old gentleman who practiced Tai Chi back then as well.

As those who practiced the system in the 70's can attest the requirements of the system became much more streamlined by the 90's. They still provide the individual with a strong foundation to which he/she could add elements to enhance their understanding and challenge them to explore further. So learn the a bokken form from aikido or study the sword, Isshin Shorinji is a foundation for your study or a study in itself. There's plenty there to keep you busy.
Russ

#380830 - 03/05/08 08:39 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: paddles]
LEATHERNECK1 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I can personally attest to Soke's ability to dazzle both karateka and onlookers with his sword demonstrations.Another fine practitioner with the sword was Mr. Ron Landis.I have had both gentlemen cut a potato cleanly as it rested on my bared stomach.It's relevance to modern karate is important as it takes the same devoted training to develop speed and accuracy.I never felt the blade.Soke could no doubt state a better case than I can for this art.It requires great agility and strength and is a great workout for the legs and balance.
Mr. Murphy was keen on exposing his followers to many different styles and forms, unlike many senseis who wish to teach their own curriculum exclusively.He welcomed "outsiders" to share with us.I believe this was a great benefit to us all.
We were fortunate enough to spend some time with Shotokan Grand Master Oshima thanks to another Black Belt, Ms. Carole Welch, who had trained with him.These events made us stronger and kept us humble.Humility was one of Soke's most endearing qualities.I am referring to the "old school" era in the late sixties, early seventies.Back when men were men!

#380831 - 03/05/08 09:05 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: LEATHERNECK1]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

These events made us stronger and kept us humble.Humility was one of Soke's most endearing qualities.I am referring to the "old school" era in the late sixties, early seventies.Back when men were men!

Year.2008.

Men are still Men. Male homo-sapien as opposed to female homo-sapian. The successfull specie should adapt to its enviroment. I could find things wrong with mens behavior in all of the years if I cared to look.

Jude

#380832 - 03/05/08 09:55 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: jude33]
LEATHERNECK1 Offline

A better endeavor would be to examine one's own failures and faults rather than judging others.BTW, "When men were still men" is a well worn line meant to be taken as humor.It is not a derogation of youth.

#380833 - 03/05/08 10:23 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu *DELETED* [Re: LEATHERNECK1]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Post deleted by jude33

#380834 - 03/05/08 10:36 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: jude33]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

I look at my faults. I also look at peoples mistakes made in history, both ancient and recent, so I dont make them. Anyhow wont hijack your thread with all this.

Student

Jude

Edited by jude33 (03/05/08 10:38 PM)

#380835 - 03/06/08 11:01 AM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: LEATHERNECK1]
paddles Offline

Carol was one of the ladies that started in one of Sensei's self defense classes at The College of St Elizabeths and then joined the Fairleigh Dickinson U. karate club. When she left for the west coast she was a brown belt. If memory serves me she was Master Oshima's first female shodan. I believe she is living in Florida.

Ron studied the sword at the American Buhdist Academy in New York. We have lost track of him. Do you have a line on him?

#380836 - 03/06/08 11:52 AM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: paddles]
LEATHERNECK1 Offline

When I started training at the Parsippany dojo in 1969 I believe Ms. Welch was already a Shodan.Very classy lady.I have not seen or heard about Ron Landis since around 1981/82.Both brought good influences to our syatem.Mr. Landis had the meanest flying side thrust kicks I ever witnessed.In addition, the Cusomano brothers, Woody Jensen, Walt Fanning were great practitioners that served to inspire me and others I "grew up" with. Semper Fi!

#380837 - 03/07/08 04:08 PM Re: Discussion of Isshinshorinji Ryu [Re: LEATHERNECK1]
wiggy Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Sorry for the delay in response but my work computer is down and I just got a moment to play catch up (no I don't have a home computer)

Regarding Shiohai….. In short, I don’t know for sure and don’t want to give out the wrong information. I think that a few other people who are viewing this forum but still afraid to venture into these waters might know a little more than what I can provide (hint to those peering in)….

Regarding ‘Head of Isshinshorinji’ …. Very dangerous question to ask given the history and feelings everyone has… Chris Wissman stated a very subtle and most likely the most accurate comments…. My take on this (and most likely will be debated by others) is that if Soke didn’t close the original schools, then we wouldn’t be having this debate as everyone would know that he was the ‘Grandmaster’ and a successor would have been named. However, under that same assumption, we would see an entirely different ‘system’ than we see now…. Since Soke closed the schools, Ralph Chirico took over the name of ‘Grandmaster’ in the public school arena Soke maintained his reputation as the Grandmaster and continued to teach others giving them license to teach the system. Some maintained the name IsshinShorinji (like James Chapman and Rod Lindgren) and some changed the name with his blessing (Al and Anita Santucci)… Being so far away from Soke and lack of contact made the school under James Chapmen start to do things their own way (for self preservation) and cannot be frowned upon if they did name their own ‘Grandmaster’ as they felt they were ‘left for dead’…. Back in NJ Soke named Dean Ansari to be the ‘Grandmaster’.

So in essence, we may have 4 or 5 people who claim to be the ‘Grandmaster’ because our system took a lot of turns and twists and back and forths… One might say a grandmaster to each era of the 'system'... In the end, it doesn’t matter as all that matters is the principles Soke left behind.

Jude33, I thank you for your interest in this thread… A bit confused by your original post and what it meant. But that may be because I am mentally burned out right now… But it does bring about a question I always ask people… How do we get men back to being men?... Albeit a lot of philosophy and ‘semantics’ as to what you consider a man to be…. Nevermind, I’m just being philosophic now!

I hope to contribute more in the future once my computer is fixed.

Page 8 of 19 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga