FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 50 of 72 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 71 72 >
Topic Options
#377756 - 03/09/08 05:44 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: trevek]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Interesting video, but there is some color in it, so I am not sure how old it it.

#377757 - 03/09/08 05:51 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I understand the hard feelings old time ITF authorities would have, however, I truly believe it is time to get beyond all the bitterness and unite the art into a universally tightly governed, standardized, recognizable art, not ITF not WTF but the best of ea.

Well I am not sure that many realize the depth of the pain caused by lives ruined with slander, hardship & labels of communsit or traitor. The SK govt is hesitant to acknowledge the true history, as it leads to a dreaded connection that they do not wish to make to Japan & Karate. So it is way more than just technique that they must agree on.

Also, coming together & tightening up standards does little to prevent McDojangs from flourishing. JMHO

#377758 - 03/09/08 05:57 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: Supremor]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Personally, I dislike the idea of complete standardization. I think the creation of standard names for all the techniques in TKD by the ITF, and the naming of different judo techniques by the IJF is a great step forward, and very useful. However, a standard curriculum in my opinion is simply too restrictive on the individual needs and preferences of instructors and their pupils.

Standardization of technique, how it is best done & terminology, IMHO doesn't hamper individuals if we realize that one just uese the techniques & appplies them as each person & situation requires. This is why you don't see much in the fighting sections of the texts, as it would just be filler material, beyond general concepts & the like. Teachers best know their charges.

#377759 - 03/09/08 06:01 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

The curriculum would not have to be so rigid that it would impose on instructors, the key would be the minimum standards.

Yes the key is minimum standards after someone is introduced to the entire syllabus. having a full syylabus helps to students know the Art more fully & have an opportunity to use what fits them best. The minimum standards helps insure they grasp & apply it.

#377760 - 03/09/08 06:11 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
von1 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I understand the hard feelings old time ITF authorities would have, however, I truly believe it is time to get beyond all the bitterness and unite the art into a universally tightly governed, standardized, recognizable art, not ITF not WTF but the best of ea.

Well I am not sure that many realize the depth of the pain caused by lives ruined with slander, hardship & labels of communsit or traitor. The SK govt is hesitant to acknowledge the true history, as it leads to a dreaded connection that they do not wish to make to Japan & Karate. So it is way more than just technique that they must agree on.

Also, coming together & tightening up standards does little to prevent McDojangs from flourishing. JMHO

Understood and very sad,

However, many of the people who were damaged the most are gone so the ones who carry the contempt are doing it for general purpose, that always proves to be counter productive. If it is not for general purpose than there is an agenda and that would worry me to as it should anyone involved in TKD. If standards were strictly enforced it would do a great deal to stop mcdo jo"s.

#377761 - 03/09/08 06:17 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I wonder how much it would. How many McDojangs are non-affiliated? In UK alone I can think of at least half a dozen non-affiliated groups.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#377762 - 03/09/08 06:48 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
michaelboik Offline

Quote:

Good point Mr. Boik!

However, one minor clarification if you may. GM Lee Nam Suk, although a very prominent & influential early Korean MAist, was not a member of the original TKD or Oh Do kwan that would become Chang Hon. He was a member (co-founder) of the Chang Moo Kwan & was one who did adopt the name early on. However he was basically ShotoKan or Japanese Karate, with some Chinese influence. He was influential inn the formation of the WTF.
So this example IMHO would be better placed with either the umbrella name or the WTF defense side.

Sorry, I meant Lee Suk Hi.

#377763 - 03/09/08 06:58 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Understood and very sad, However, many of the people who were damaged the most are gone so the ones who carry the contempt are doing it for general purpose, that always proves to be counter productive. If it is not for general purpose than there is an agenda and that would worry me to as it should anyone involved in TKD. If standards were strictly enforced it would do a great deal to stop mcdo jo"s.

Yes contempt is harmful & counter productive. However, the new leadership in the WTF is I think more inclined to move forward. It is the old hard liners in the Kukkiwon who are more resistant. This 2nd generation were there in the 60s & they will be much harder to win over. JMHO

#377764 - 03/09/08 07:04 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: trevek]
von1 Offline

With a well defined system and strong governing body those not affiliated would not be TKD. This is impossible though unless ITF and WTF come together as one, determine the standards, monitor those standards, enforce the standards, and legally expel those clubs that do not live up to the minimum standards. The only way to pull this off is with a governing body that consist of both WTF, and ITF, so there is no question who governs and owns the TKD concept. With out involvement from both we end up with what we have now, two main entities fighting for recognition and dominance.

#377765 - 03/09/08 07:04 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: trevek]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I wonder how much it would. How many McDojangs are non-affiliated? In UK alone I can think of at least half a dozen non-affiliated groups.

Thats right! there are far more independent TKD groups then the 2 big ones. Followed by the WTF & then the smallest group being the ITF.

Keep in mind, when it comes to McDojangs, standards mean little, as if they are not applied locally, that is, in the school, then all the high standards don't amount to a hill of beans. For instance a certified ITF II can test up to half their rank. So a 4th dan can give up to a 2nd dan to their students based soley on their signature. Likewise a 6th Dan can do the same up to 3rd. The change takes place at 4th, where the ITF promotion committee rules take over.

I am not sure about the Kukkiwon, but think they may have something similiar. maybe someone else can fill us in.

Page 50 of 72 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 71 72 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga