FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
Ed_Morris 4
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432477 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 49 of 72 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 71 72 >
Topic Options
#377746 - 03/08/08 07:41 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: trevek]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Not a surprising idea, though, when General Choi used to openly refer to WTF TKD as 'phoney TKD'

You are 100% right. He was very bitter & he may have had good reason, but he also had a big ego. However you never accomplish much goodness or goodwill with negativity. Ironically, now that he is gone, a big impediement, his bitterness is gone.

#377747 - 03/08/08 07:44 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: trevek]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Not a surprising idea, though, when General Choi used to openly refer to WTF TKD as 'phoney TKD'

I should add, even though it is obvious, this is a reason why many ITF students throw mud at the WTF side. The trend was passed on. I reject it in its entirety. It has no place in the realm of the MAs. Besides, WTF students of today, all around the world had nothing to do with black listing Ambasador Choi. Nor did the students write him out of history. They only read that TKD is 2,000 years old.

#377748 - 03/08/08 09:35 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
von1 Offline

ITFUNITY

I am happy now, thanks for the input and allowing me to vent.

#377749 - 03/09/08 12:28 AM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

No problem Von1

Do you know why many ITF members are bitter?
Do you have the Kukkiwon textbook?

#377750 - 03/09/08 03:55 AM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
flynch Offline

Few points.

I agree that there is bitterness due to lack of recognition of those who worked hard for TKD but this is mainly political and this has little to do with the current WTF or ITF students as even the majority of South Koreans have no knowledge of the founding of their national art/sport. The only thing that has been mentioned to me is that I should help spread the true history of Tae Kwon Do as it has been taught to me.

Beyond this point which is purely historical and political in nature...

I beleive somebody was asking how TKD was taught.

To clarify GM CK Choi does not have a school he rather supports his students (some of which he has had since the early seventies) and their schools. He also gives seminars testings etc. Whatever he can do to support all true Tae Kwon Do practioners.

I feel I am fairly lucky to be able to train with him on a regular basis. I also attend a school run by one of his senior students although a hip injury has sidelined me for a while now.

When I am trainning with him anything goes strikes anywhere with any striking tool, grabs throws whatever the situation dictates. By the way I have never asked him to teach me how to spar in a tournament but I have seen him teach this as well.

They I go to the club which is at a university and is run on basically a cement floor. Funny enough the WTF guys get the padded floor in the new athletic center. The sparring there is pretty much tournament type sparring with maybe some leg sweeps thrown in from time to time. Contact is mild to heavy depending on the person you are sparring with. Most of the other techniques elbows, knees etc are taught with line or partner drills and are all stand up oriented.

#377751 - 03/09/08 06:34 AM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: flynch]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I must say, as a non-ITF Chang Hon-in (can I say that?), I have trained as a guest at WTF clubs across Europe and have never found any problem. I was always allowed to wear my association dobok and belt (and I always asked first)and have always received a warm welcome. Even in the ITF clubs I've trained at as a guest have been very hospitable and, likewise insisted that I wear my dobok (even when I wore a WTF one) and belt.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#377752 - 03/09/08 07:33 AM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: trevek]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
not sure of the date of the film, but...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YoCiKKCB8bQ&feature=related

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#377753 - 03/09/08 11:06 AM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
von1 Offline

Quote:

No problem Von1

Do you know why many ITF members are bitter?
Do you have the Kukkiwon textbook?

I understand the hard feelings old time ITF authorities would have, however, I truly believe it is time to get beyond all the bitterness and unite the art into a universally tightly governed, standardized, recognizable art, not ITF not WTF but the best of ea.

If this could be accomplished now while TKD is still popular TKD would be unstoppable. Our own infighting and loose standards are hurting us more than anything. The funny thing is, it is our infighting that has produced the loose standards, this is why I don"t care bunches about early history, like it or not, TKD has changed forever and nothing will change that fact so it is time to write new history.
One may feel as they wish, but making statements like, history of real TKD, only serves in more division and is strictly political and passive aggressive. This is what the old time governing bodies want, they do not seek reconciliation they seek victory and it is only getting further away! I say united we stand divided we fail.

Looking back on TKD"s entire history will not be so painful or bitter once/if, TKD becomes one, it will simply become part of the transformation of TKD. I believe it can only come from a new breed of leader, us! well not me but you get the picture.

And no I do not have the kukkiwon text book but I plan to look into that, thanks.

Edited by von1 (03/09/08 11:42 AM)

#377754 - 03/09/08 01:49 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

I understand the hard feelings old time ITF authorities would have, however, I truly believe it is time to get beyond all the bitterness and unite the art into a universally tightly governed, standardized, recognizable art, not ITF not WTF but the best of ea.

Personally, I dislike the idea of complete standardization. I think the creation of standard names for all the techniques in TKD by the ITF, and the naming of different judo techniques by the IJF is a great step forward, and very useful. However, a standard curriculum in my opinion is simply too restrictive on the individual needs and preferences of instructors and their pupils.

People are always going to have slightly different goals and preferences. Some instructors prefer to do a lot of pad work, some prefer to do lots of patterns, others do very little sparring. And that's fine, afterall, a martial art should not just be a fixed immovable thing, it should be flexible to the individual. An analogy is in modern schooling. Some people learn kinesthetically, some learn better from reading books, others from discussing the ideas. Schools in britain now try to cater for this, and results seem to be improving, so there is some evidence it works.

I have met instructors who were fantastic teachers at certain elements of TKD, but were weak in other areas, and obviously they focused more on the aspects they were good at than those they were poor at. That is not to say these weak areas should be ignored, but I can quite understand how some areas can be taught in much smaller amounts than others. A simple example is gun defense- might be a useful thing in America, but in Britain it becomes much less important, although knife defense might be more important. So you see how a standard, one size fits all, curriculum can actually stifle a MA and cause disagreements and splits where they needn't exist.

#377755 - 03/09/08 05:02 PM Re: Taekwonddiscussio loosing it's face/popularity [Re: Supremor]
von1 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Personally, I dislike the idea of complete standardization. I think the creation of standard names for all the techniques in TKD by the ITF, and the naming of different judo techniques by the IJF is a great step forward, and very useful. However, a standard curriculum in my opinion is simply too restrictive on the individual needs and preferences of instructors and their pupils.

People are always going to have slightly different goals and preferences. Some instructors prefer to do a lot of pad work, some prefer to do lots of patterns, others do very little sparring. And that's fine, afterall, a martial art should not just be a fixed immovable thing, it should be flexible to the individual. An analogy is in modern schooling. Some people learn kinesthetically, some learn better from reading books, others from discussing the ideas. Schools in britain now try to cater for this, and results seem to be improving, so there is some evidence it works.

I have met instructors who were fantastic teachers at certain elements of TKD, but were weak in other areas, and obviously they focused more on the aspects they were good at than those they were poor at. That is not to say these weak areas should be ignored, but I can quite understand how some areas can be taught in much smaller amounts than others. A simple example is gun defense- might be a useful thing in America, but in Britain it becomes much less important, although knife defense might be more important. So you see how a standard, one size fits all, curriculum can actually stifle a MA and cause disagreements and splits where they needn't exist.

Interesting,

That is how TKD is now and there is much complaining and finger pointing. You raise some good points but no matter how you look at it we are still divided and many have hard feelings. TKD could be standardized if it was done correctly. You could do it regionally, that would take care of the gun SD in America vs. the knife SD in Europe example you gave. No matter how you develop curriculum instructors will always very a little from it but a minimum standard could be imposed and regulated. The curriculum would not have to be so rigid that it would impose on instructors, the key would be the minimum standards.

Page 49 of 72 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 71 72 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga