FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 22 of 72 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 71 72 >
Topic Options
#377476 - 02/22/08 12:07 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: trevek]
badachagi Offline

Quote:

Does anyone know which kind of Karate that guy was doing?

Based on the way the Karate fighter was moving, it looked a lot like Kyokushin to me.

#377477 - 02/22/08 11:46 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: badachagi]
EvenRats Offline

Definitely Kyokushin. Whenever I observe a kumite their movement tends to be very tense and alot less athletic than other martial artists. They, however, are walking lethal weapons. They're so well conditioned.

#377478 - 02/22/08 12:14 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: EvenRats]
badachagi Offline

Quote:

Definitely Kyokushin. Whenever I observe a kumite their movement tends to be very tense and alot less athletic than other martial artists. They, however, are walking lethal weapons. They're so well conditioned.

Yes, I would agree. I think Kyokushin really is an interesting art, and aside from some superficial similarities in techniques, very different from TKD. I've noticed most Kyokushin fighters are very tough and strong. They don't really have much in the way of footwork and evasive maneuvers, but they make up for it in tenacity and ability to take punishment.

#377479 - 02/22/08 01:31 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: badachagi]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
So does TKD have to move backwards to go forwards?
It seems that the people who stick up for TKD claim originaly it was good enough.It had face.Thats all been lost.
Or should it not just burts forward and take on board what it lacks?

I think anyone doing the latter has to do it out of site or risk being labelled anti-TKD.I dont think anyone with any power would do it.That seems to come down to pride.
Can TKD accept what it is and what is isnt?
Too often its made out to be more than what it is and I think those that do that loose face for TKD.
Yes,its got some grappling.But it wont cut it against another trained grappler.
Yea its got knees,elbows,low kicks.But it wont cut it against a Thai fighter as theres no tactical use or as much experience in using them.
Yea its got hands stuff but not on the level of a boxer to survive with one or know the tactics .
To me,it should either be accepted or go over to those places and improve them and bring them back.
On a low to average level TKD can hold its own although against other high skilled people I dont think it cuts it.And thats proven by there not being any TKD guys at the top.Of course you will get the odd one but they are unique and normaly using maybe about 10 percent TKD if that.

Im not being anti TKD.Its just my honest observations and what I find trying to take my TKD into to other places like NHB/MMA.

#377480 - 02/22/08 03:36 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: matxtx]
michaelboik Offline

I believe the WTF/KKW fighters are much better then what you see. I watched a dozen fights on youtube of the WTF championships and 95% of the techniques used was a Roundhouse( turning) kick. The other 5% was a mix of Axe, spinning back, front, and hooking kicks. They are much more capable then what I saw. They train to the peak of physical prowess yet when the Championship comes the Taekwon-Do is limited. The fastest with the roundhouse wins the point and the one with the most points wins the championship.
Maybe the head of the KKW needs to reevaluate the scoring system where more techniques have to be implemented in the match. Minimum number of each kick per match or you are minused points. Just a thought.

#377481 - 02/22/08 09:39 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: matxtx]
EvenRats Offline

Quote:

So does TKD have to move backwards to go forwards?
It seems that the people who stick up for TKD claim originaly it was good enough.It had face.Thats all been lost.
Or should it not just burts forward and take on board what it lacks?

I think anyone doing the latter has to do it out of site or risk being labelled anti-TKD.I dont think anyone with any power would do it.That seems to come down to pride.
Can TKD accept what it is and what is isnt?
Too often its made out to be more than what it is and I think those that do that loose face for TKD.
Yes,its got some grappling.But it wont cut it against another trained grappler.
Yea its got knees,elbows,low kicks.But it wont cut it against a Thai fighter as theres no tactical use or as much experience in using them.
Yea its got hands stuff but not on the level of a boxer to survive with one or know the tactics .
To me,it should either be accepted or go over to those places and improve them and bring them back.
On a low to average level TKD can hold its own although against other high skilled people I dont think it cuts it.And thats proven by there not being any TKD guys at the top.Of course you will get the odd one but they are unique and normaly using maybe about 10 percent TKD if that.

Im not being anti TKD.Its just my honest observations and what I find trying to take my TKD into to other places like NHB/MMA.

Are you saying TKD doesn't make the cut when it comes to MMA?

I don't think there's a single art that covers enough(with the exception of Jeet Kune Do, but thats not an art, its more of a philosophy) to ready yourself for a different playing field. Look at the beginning of UFC. All the stand up fighters were destroyed by the grapplers. Then later on they got wise and trained in groundfighting and takedowns, which gave them an advantage to pure grapplers(strike wise). I forgot, but wasn't there a ITFer competing in UFC or Pride? Zelg Galesic was his name. Now that guy has talent.

To put it in the way my TKD instructor does; train in all aspects of fighting as much as possible. You're not "replacing" your art, but rather supplementing it.

#377482 - 02/22/08 10:25 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: EvenRats]
badachagi Offline

Quote:

I forgot, but wasn't there a ITFer competing in UFC or Pride? Zelg Galesic was his name. Now that guy has talent.

There are several MMA fighters with TKD backgrounds. The ones that immediately come to mind are Cung Le and David Loiseau. I'm pretty sure there are more.

#377483 - 02/23/08 08:07 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: badachagi]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Mark Weir is a Chang Hon practitioner and I believe holds/held the record for the fastest UFC knockout (11 seconds, I think).

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#377484 - 02/23/08 08:10 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: trevek]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I was going to say that. And the man that took the Cage Rage middleweight title away from Weir was none other than... Zelg Galesic, another TKD fighter.

#377485 - 02/23/08 03:09 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: Supremor]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Ivan Salaverry as well as Stephen Bonnar are TKD.

Page 22 of 72 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 71 72 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga