FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Today at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 17 of 72 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 71 72 >
Topic Options
#377426 - 02/14/08 11:19 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
badachagi Offline

I would really like to know...

Where are all these NHB street fights going on that people on martial arts boards are always going on and on about? Is there some kind of secret underground fight club where people are allowed to fight to the death using any techniques and weapons possible? Does the Kumite from Van Damme's _Bloodsport_ really exist, and everyone is in on it except me?

I would really like to know what world this happens in. Because in my world, most normal people do not go around getting in deathmatches. We go to our jobs, we hang out with our friends, spend time with family, watch movies, work out... and, oh yeah, we practice martial arts. If someone gets in my face and says something about my mother, I will laugh at them and walk away. If someone gets drunk and challenges me, I will say "no thanks". If someone says their martial art is better than mine, I'll just let them go on thinking that because I really could care less.

In the world I live in, I'm more likely to die from a traffic accident or the cheeseburger I ate last week than I am to get in a "street fight". I don't spend all my time living in fear of being in an inescapable situation where I have no choice but to fight or die. Don't get me wrong, if it happens, then I will kick/punch/elbow/knee/bite/scratch/gouge/pummel/run with every last ounce of my strength. But if it's my time to go, then it's my time to go and no amount of training can stop the inevitable.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to let that out. Stay healthy, work out, enjoy martial arts, love your family, be a good citizen, and stop worrying about getting in street fights.

JMHO

#377427 - 02/14/08 11:30 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

Brian s, are we in a bad mood? The red belt comment came from a commontater on a UFC match don;t kill the messenger, I also stated that I wasn:t sure if that was accurate info. because I wasn:t sure if the commontater was correct.Do you need a hug you seem angry!

Oh. You wrote that as YOUR words. I didn't see any quotes there. I wasn't in a bad mood, I just don't like superiority complexes over ignorance of facts, homeskillet.

#377428 - 02/15/08 02:59 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
flynch Offline

Quote:

I agree that everyone does need to increase the ability to defend themselves. I think initially SD was the primary objective of original TKD. However, the founder moved that to be the primary physical goal, with the main objective to be the overall development of the person through the DO. Thus TKD written as Taekwon-Do to highlight that emphasis.

For me the process of reaching the physical goal is the tool Tae Kwon Do uses to help reach these other more lofty goals. Take away the physical standards and it falls on its face and is subject to abuses. JMHO

#377429 - 02/15/08 03:05 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: badachagi]
flynch Offline

Quote:

Where are all these NHB street fights going on that people on martial arts boards are always going on and on about? Is there some kind of secret underground fight club where people are allowed to fight to the death using any techniques and weapons possible? Does the Kumite from Van Damme's _Bloodsport_ really exist, and everyone is in on it except me?

JMHO

No No. People are continually being transported back to ancient military battlefields before gunpowder was invented. I though everyone knew that. LOL

#377430 - 02/15/08 04:35 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: flynch]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Well, I'd suggest there has always been some form of 'underground' fighting available for those who want it.

Bare-knuckle boxing at horse fairs in Ireland would be one example, as would unlicensed boxing matches of the kind Lenny MacLean was known for ("The Guvnor"). Then there's the arranged meetings between groups such as the football(hooligan) firms.

I don't imagine it would be impossible for a more lethal version to exist if you really wanted to find one.

However, I personally don't! Like you say, most normal people would never find such a thing (or honestly want to).

I think the media mentality keeps telling us that we are all going to get mugged and raped over breakfast and even MA itself uses this idea to promote SD. Even if we realise our MA practice is for other reasons, we might still feel reassured to think we can defend our family from the hordes of hoody ninjas lurking around the corner from Tescos.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#377431 - 02/15/08 08:40 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: badachagi]
von1 Offline

Quote:

I would really like to know what world this happens in. Because in my world, most normal people do not go around getting in deathmatches. We go to our jobs, we hang out with our friends, spend time with family, watch movies, work out... and, oh yeah, we practice martial arts. If someone gets in my face and says something about my mother, I will laugh at them and walk away. If someone gets drunk and challenges me, I will say "no thanks". If someone says their martial art is better than mine, I'll just let them go on thinking that because I really could care less.

In the world I live in, I'm more likely to die from a traffic accident or the cheeseburger I ate last week than I am to get in a "street fight". I don't spend all my time living in fear of being in an inescapable situation where I have no choice but to fight or die. Don't get me wrong, if it happens, then I will kick/punch/elbow/knee/bite/scratch/gouge/pummel/run with every last ounce of my strength. But if it's my time to go, then it's my time to go and no amount of training can stop the inevitable.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to let that out. Stay healthy, work out, enjoy martial arts, love your family, be a good citizen, and stop worrying about getting in street fights.

bandachagi

I to live as you do I was simply trying to explain to matxtx that a person does not need to be an MMA type practitioner to be effective at self defence.

Another point I was attempting to get across is that many people are confusing SD with fighting. I believe this can be attributed to the emergence and popularity of UFC, Pride etc. Too many people think one must be a wresler,boxer, judo, bla, bla or one is doomed and at the mercy of thugs. I was simply saying that one should not want to ground and pound an assailant because that would be fighting and not a very smart or safe self defence practice.

JMHO

Edited to fix quote.

Edited by RazorFoot (02/15/08 09:09 AM)

#377432 - 02/15/08 09:06 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: BrianS]
von1 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Brian s, are we in a bad mood? The red belt comment came from a commentator on a UFC match don;t kill the messenger, I also stated that I wasn:t sure if that was accurate info. because I wasn:t sure if the commentator was correct.Do you need a hug you seem angry!

Oh. You wrote that as YOUR words. I didn't see any quotes there. I wasn't in a bad mood, I just don't like superiority complexes over ignorance of facts, homeskillet.

Brian S. From home skillet

What facts are you referring to? I do not recall anyone referring to anything as fact. If I am ignorant regarding MMA please fill me in and give me the facts. I will be the first to admit there is much I do not know about mma competition because I am really not interested in it other than it"s entertainment value.

#377433 - 02/15/08 11:46 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
badachagi Offline

Quote:

Quote:

bandachagi

I to live as you do I was simply trying to explain to matxtx that a person does not need to be an MMA type practitioner to be effective at self defence.

Another point I was attempting to get across is that many people are confusing SD with fighting. I believe this can be attributed to the emergence and popularity of UFC, Pride etc. Too many people think one must be a wresler,boxer, judo, bla, bla or one is doomed and at the mercy of thugs. I was simply saying that one should not want to ground and pound an assailant because that would be fighting and not a very smart or safe self defence practice.

JMHO

Edited to fix quote.

Agreed. IMHO, self-defense and "street fights" are two different situations. The aim of learning SD should be two-fold:

1) Do everything possible to avoid dangerous situations (walk away, run, call the cops, find a well-lit public place, stop going to seedy bars, etc).

2) If avoidance is impossible, personal safety (and the safety of those under your protection) is the first priority. Do everything possible to disable your attacker as quickly as possible and escape.

In contrast, from my observations street fighting has different aims. Usually it's to assert dominance, prove your manhood, prove your style is better than someone else's, or beat the crap out of someone who looked at your girl the wrong way. Or it's because you're involved in unsavory business (gangs, drug deals, etc). If you're in the habit of getting in street fights, than it seems to me that asking whether style X or move Y will work better on the streets is the least of your problems. You have other issues that you need to resolve before you even bring martial arts into the discussion.

Martial can help in SD, but you know what? Even if I was an expert fighter in Krav Maga, BJJ, Muay Thai, MCMAP, etc. I'd still do everything I can to avoid a fight. Training in something, anything will be better than nothing, but in this world, it's just too much of a crap shoot. Your attacker could be carrying a gun, or a knife. They might have buddies, or their buddies might have buddies. Anything could happen. There's just too many variables out of your control.

And let's no kid ourselves folks... MMA is a sport with rules just like anything else.

#377434 - 02/15/08 01:37 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: badachagi]
von1 Offline

badachagi

Again very well said, I think that we are on the same page regarding this matter.

PS

I was also attempting to communicate that SD is an extremely serious issue and people can be seriously harmed if confrontation can not be avoided.

#377435 - 02/15/08 05:01 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
Quote:

MATXTX

No I say again if you are learning to fight you are correct sir. But self defence in it"s purest physical, and most desperate form is much more to the point and that point has a deliberate and quick ending some times even fatal.

People are caught up in all the mixed martial arts hype that many now days consider fighting and SD to be the same and they are not. This is why the striking arts have been taking such a beating regarding SD and personally I feel it is undeserved as long as one remembers that it is not about fighting. Your comments about the physical aspects of fighting and SD being the same are only some what correct because the techniques for ending the confrontation will be different if one is serious and not willing to let things turn into a fight. I will not go into detail and describe some that are easy, effective, and probably deadly because not all who visit this forum are responsible and posting this info would be irresponsible.

Too deadly.Yea right.

Yes I am so caught up in the hype.Thanks for making me see the light.

Under stress the techniques you do will be the ones you have trained, under similar stress.So the guy who has been in a situation a zillion times in drills at high intensitys and full contact will fair alot better.
So he will get out of the situation the same way as he has under rules with only a slight tweak if he needs to get more brutel.Its no big deal,no panic.
Yet you are going to pull of your deadly stuff when you have never been in a situation that resembles the violence and intensity of an assault because it is so deadly to train at those rates?

Yea, right.Goodnight

Page 17 of 72 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 71 72 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga