FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 2
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432477 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 72 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 71 72 >
Topic Options
#377316 - 01/09/08 01:17 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
I am trying to change it. I was fortunate enough to have trained in (be exposed to) the entire syllabus when I started my path in martial arts (my first 8 years). It has served me well over the years but now I find that I need to expand my training into areas that TKD doesn't normally address or have complete answers for.

Like all things, SD/fighting has evolved. People are more skilled and more knowledgeable about the arts and have a wider range of tools to use. The techniques designed for stand up confrontations as developed in the past need to be modified to adapt to every situation. That is why most of the schools I have trained in during the last 10 years have added groundwork to their portfolio. It only makes sense if you want to be a complete art.

Why don't I stop training TKD and train something else? Because I find a utility in TKD that benefits me and my style of fighting. I am not going to move because I see a house with a nicer deck. I will simply build a nicer deck on my home if that is what I want. I see this as the same thing.

In anything you do, you adapt to the changes that take place for the better. We used to walk, then we rode horses, then trains, then automobiles/planes/etc.

If I played basketball today like they did when the game was invented, I would not only be laughed off the court but there is no way I could be competitive with the speed and athleticism that the game requires today.

As times change, you adapt with them and grow. MA's is no different.

#377317 - 01/09/08 02:17 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
flynch Offline

We tend to emphasie both equally (even spend time on hand only sparring) but I do think that more students focus on the kicking and use little hand techniques. Not really sure why. Could be because kicks look fancy, seem to require more skill so are more impressive. Kicking range feels safer for sparring than getting in there for hand techniques.

I remember a tournament a long time (yes general Choi was present) ago were one person got warned for using too many hand techniques and not enough foot techniques.

#377318 - 01/09/08 02:52 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: flynch]
flynch Offline

I too have heard lots of stories of the past. The hard trainning. The full contact. But with the pride in those stories I have heard the regret for people being severly injured in trainning. I have seen the surgery required to correct the effects of this trainning when one gets older. On the opposite end I am told of the new more scientific nature of trainning. The improved/modern trainning techniques. Safety equipment leading to less injuries.

I think in the older style it was definately harder to slide through. The best and the luckiest fighters came up through the ranks. In this new style if you are ture to it and work equally as hard you can progress with less chance of injury and a lower potiential for needing surgery in your old age. But it is definately easier for people to slide through. Jumping from org to org doing the minimum and continuing to advance (I think they are rank chasers).

While I can appreciate the old style and the results it produced. There is nothing wrong with this new style or with modern TKD. There will always be problems when people of poor character become involved in an activity or an orgainization. As they not only produce students with poor skill but also with poor character.

There will always be problems when somebody who just earned a black belt thinks they can go out and open their own school because now they now "know everything".

Edited by flynch (01/09/08 03:13 PM)

#377319 - 01/14/08 09:49 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
StuartA Offline

Quote:

However that is not the problem of the Art, in this case, military or Chang Hon TKD, but the fault of the instructor &/or school for not implementing the Art they say they follow. JMHO

In agreement there!

Stuart

#377320 - 02/04/08 03:43 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: ITFunity]
von1 Offline

oppion only- mma is popular because of the blood it draws, it is no more than a well promoted tough man contest with a small varity of marcial arts added. If you can take a punch you can be a mma fighter. I think to be considered a professional mma fighter one only needs to be a RED BELT not positive. mma fights have all the elements of the old gladiators, the colliseium,blood and guts rouring crowds ect. not to take away from mma it IS BRUTAL and the publc loves the beatings. Most of these fighters (from all arts) strike me as not being super at their core arts and left or gave up so they could become brawlers in a less technical but more punishing system.Just an observation, not saying I am right any coments?

#377321 - 02/04/08 04:08 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: RazorFoot]
StormDOA Offline

Loc: Lansing, Mich., USA
Thank you for the reply to the post. It was well thought out and systematic without being hostile. I do WTF but feel that we are a traditional school with little Olympic influence (thankfully). I have seen good and crappy schools in everything, heck I even saw a good savate school on "Human Weapon" the other day. Thanks Razorfoot

#377322 - 02/04/08 04:15 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: StormDOA]
EvenRats Offline

Interestingly enough, this forum is the most populated(in the thousands) with TKD practitioners.

#377323 - 02/04/08 04:41 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

oppion only- mma is popular because of the blood it draws, it is no more than a well promoted tough man contest with a small varity of marcial arts added. If you can take a punch you can be a mma fighter. I think to be considered a professional mma fighter one only needs to be a RED BELT not positive. mma fights have all the elements of the old gladiators, the colliseium,blood and guts rouring crowds ect. not to take away from mma it IS BRUTAL and the publc loves the beatings. Most of these fighters (from all arts) strike me as not being super at their core arts and left or gave up so they could become brawlers in a less technical but more punishing system.Just an observation, not saying I am right any coments?

Sorry, disagree with what you've said. For sure there are some brawlers that have had their day in the ring but now a days it is more technical and what I and people who know what is going on enjoy the most. Any combat sport has the possibility of blood, such as with boxing, however you are missing too much if that is all you see and what you think. Frank Mir beating Brock Lesnar was all technical proving technique beats strength. Look at Anderson "the Spider" Silva, pure technique when he fights. The list goes on and on but you have to watch them all and look beyond your nose. And to be considered a MMA fighter has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with belts so your Red Belt theory I think you are grasping at straws; not to mention many systems don't even have a red belt (i.e. BJJ = white, blue, purple, brown, black).

Not sure what this has to do with TKD loosing its fact/popularity either?

#377324 - 02/04/08 06:59 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: StormDOA]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Quote:

heck I even saw a good savate school on "Human Weapon" the other day.

I think you mean the show "Fight Quest". That was its most recent episode which aired this past Friday night.

VDJ

#377325 - 02/04/08 07:03 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: von1]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Quote:

No it is much more technical than it comes across. It is also more exciting to watch than bounce,bounce,bounce round kick, kihap, round kick.

VDJ

Page 6 of 72 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 71 72 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga