FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 ... 71 72 >
Topic Options
#377266 - 01/07/08 03:11 AM Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity
EFRAIN Offline

Loc: Paterson, NJ USA
Hey guys just wanted to know what you guys think about TKD loosing it's popularity. Also why is TKD getting so much bashing from so many people nowadays and what can we do to prevent this. What can we do to help TKD from going down the drain in this new MMA world?

Bow out with respect from a TKD/BAGUA MARTIALIST

#377267 - 01/07/08 03:48 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: EFRAIN]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
Is TKD losing popularity? The only way to know would be to see how many TKD schools and/or practioners there are today compared to in the past. So far as I know, no one has attempted such a survey.

TKD bashing did not start "nowadays." I did TKD for 25 years and heard plenty of TKD bashing throughout all that time. The reason TKD gets bashed is simple: it is not a very good martial art. TKD deserves to get bashed, does get bashed, and not much can (or should) be done to prevent it.

How can we prevent TKD from going down the drain? TKD went down the drain years ago. As a martial art, TKD was always mediocre; it simply lacked the boxing and (especially) wrestling emphasis critical to real world self-defense. As TKD turned changed from martial art to martial sport it went from bad to horrible--nowadays, most dojangs just teach a fancy, acrobatic form of foot tag.

Sorry to be so blunt, but there it is. I am sure plenty of people will jump on me for my opinion. If it makes you feel better, beleive them and not me.

#377268 - 01/07/08 05:12 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: fileboy2002]
EFRAIN Offline

Loc: Paterson, NJ USA
No man thanx for being honest. Thats why I posted this. I want to see what people have to say. What system do you do by the way?

#377269 - 01/07/08 06:14 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: EFRAIN]
WC_Lun Offline

Loc: Kansas City MO
Too many of the McDojos are run by poeple who say they are TKD stylist too. Many of these guys only have a couple to a few years experience then are told they have mastered the system and now can teach. That would water down any martial art to the point of uselessness.

#377270 - 01/07/08 06:27 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: EFRAIN]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
I did ITF TKF for 25 years and have done judo now for 10.

#377271 - 01/07/08 06:36 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: fileboy2002]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Fileboy, so what is the difference between say, Kyokunshin or Shotokan and TKD? Why don't they get the bashing?

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#377272 - 01/07/08 07:30 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: trevek]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
As long as there are 5 year olds and mothers with enough disposable income and frayed ends of sanity, it will NEVER lose its popularity.

Just a thought.

-John

#377273 - 01/07/08 08:40 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: JKogas]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I'd suggest it might be losing its popularity amongst 'hard-core' MAists but, as JKogas says, Barney the Dinosaur's BB-in-a-month program will always sell.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#377274 - 01/07/08 09:05 AM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: fileboy2002]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Quote:

The reason TKD gets bashed is simple: it is not a very good martial art. TKD deserves to get bashed, does get bashed, and not much can (or should) be done to prevent it.

Sorry bud, I will agree that the way it is TAUGHT here in the US in many dojangs (WTF TKD), that it does not represent an effective art/style. I feel the art itself is sound. If you actually review the art in total, every strike and defense that is in many traditional Karate style and many styles of Kung Fu for that matter are in TKD. Are they ineffective as well?

Quote:

As a martial art, TKD was always mediocre; it simply lacked the boxing and (especially) wrestling emphasis critical to real world self-defense.

The Korean military and even our military (for a time) used TKD as a viable means of self defense for its troops. I would think with this being the case, there had to be some practical self defense use or it would not have been/continue to be used. I have never had a problem using TKD for real world self defense. Just like any other art, applying it properly makes the difference.

If you started a confrontation by trying to use a jumping knee strike to the head, you, more than likely, would be put on your butt just as quickly as someone trying to do a standing kick to the head. A jumping knee strike might be in your arsenal but you pick the time, angle, and circumstances when to use it properly if at all. TKD is no different. If I can kick you in the head with power, that doesnt mean I will ever do so if a ranged kick to the back of your knee is all I need to do. If someone shoots on me and All I need to do is sprawl, control his head (elbow to the base of skull (TKD technique), then break a knee with a downward sidekick, then that is what I do. Every art has real world self defense applications. You simply need to apply them in the right manner and at the right time.

Quote:

As TKD turned changed from martial art to martial sport it went from bad to horrible--nowadays, most dojangs just teach a fancy, acrobatic form of foot tag.

I can not argue that. IMHO, TKD has suffered from inclusion in the Olympics as a martial art. The martial sport has become much better, but the SD aspects have suffered as a result.

Quote:

Sorry to be so blunt, but there it is. I am sure plenty of people will jump on me for my opinion. If it makes you feel better, beleive them and not me.

Having had first hand experience with TKD in "Real world SD" scenarios, I would have to state that it does work. At least for me. Will it work every time and defeat every opponent, no, but then, neither will any other art.

Does TKD have gaps? Yes, which is why I cross train. As learning about SD evolves and matures, arts need to do the same or they will become obsolete. I think a lot of TKD schools have begun to teach the entire syllabus of TKD techniques again because of this and have added some ground work to "keep up with the times" so to speak.

ITF TKD is, IMHO, a more viable SD art than WTF TKD as taught in most schools today but TKD can be and is effective when taught properly. Target selection and choosing the right technique at the right time are the most important factors to consider.

As with everything else, opinions vary.

Edited by RazorFoot (01/07/08 09:08 AM)

#377275 - 01/07/08 12:52 PM Re: Taekwondo loosing it's face/popularity [Re: fileboy2002]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Is TKD losing popularity? The only way to know would be to see how many TKD schools and/or practioners there are today compared to in the past. So far as I know, no one has attempted such a survey.

I don't think TKD is losing its popularity. I heard that it is the most popular MA in the world, with estimates now at 70 million worldwide.

What they are losing is their credability as a MA, which I think is deserved, but sad.

Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 ... 71 72 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga