FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#377157 - 01/06/08 01:45 PM JKD VS. Wing Chun
LifesFist Offline

Loc: Above Is Heaven, Down Is Earth
There are people in this world, who says that JKD is not a martial art at all, it is just a modification of wing chun or some good thought on a martial way and You shouldn't mention JKD at all.

This is opinion of my wing chun instructor and of all members of certain wing chun association and I heard the same thing from wing chun grand master W.Cheung.

How You would answer to such opinion? Have You ever heard of such a thing?

#377158 - 01/06/08 02:03 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
JKD is a name. It's an almost worn-out name. The most important thing is to train according to its major tenets and concepts, and not worry about politics.

At its core, JKD is about aliveness, simplicity and adaptability in training & fighting. If you're adhering to those concepts, you're training in the spirit of JKD. WHEN you do that, you never stop to think about "JKD" as a style, system, name, or anything else -- you just train, which is the whole idea.

Forget about names. Just train. Train smart, athletically, with progressive resistance, variable intensity and after all of that, TEST yourself by fighting (not street fighting) within your school(s), against your partners, in competition with other schools and above all, against people who are intelligent and have their egos under control. Outside of those things, nothing else matters. When you're approaching things this way, you are adhering to the JKD concept.

-John

#377159 - 01/06/08 03:52 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
LifesFist Offline

I know what You are talking about. You know, I just want to find a way how to introduce my JKD experience to others in my wing chun classes. But my instructor when I just mention something about JKD says, JKD is nothing,JKD is not a way, Wing Chun is the best... What do You think, if one is studying wing chun and nothing else in his whole life, can he return to that primordial freedom o his?? Or this will lead him to one end -

#377160 - 01/06/08 03:59 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

I personally don't believe that ANY style is "the best". Either all styles are limited or, there are no such things as styles.

And I particularly don't have much of a positive opinion about wing chun. Of course thats true about majority of traditional martial arts -- even "JKD" for a large part (many have turned it into just another traditional martial art).

Just my opinions. Form your own and don't take anyone's word for anything. Pressure test everything.

-John

#377161 - 01/06/08 04:13 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
LifesFist Offline

OK, I am calm again

Thank You

#377162 - 01/06/08 04:43 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Some more stuff....

It can be said that JKD is really just a way of thinking about things. It's philosophy that governs your training. Some schools adhere to the Jun Fan (wing chun offshoot) and others don't. Some use more of a boxing, muay Thai approach (as I do). I don't do trapping. Instead I work Greco-Roman wrestling. In other words, it doesn't matter "what" you do, so long as you actually do it and try to apply it against a resisting partner/opponent. Its through that where you discover your "truth in combat", which is an individual process. No instructor, teacher or coach ANYWHERE can give you your own individual expression. That comes from what YOU learn and experience over time. Your experience is your OWN ultimate instructor.

-John

#377163 - 01/06/08 04:53 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Some more stuff....

It can be said that JKD is really just a way of thinking about things. It's philosophy that governs your training. Some schools adhere to the Jun Fan (wing chun offshoot) and others don't. Some use more of a boxing, muay Thai approach (as I do). I don't do trapping. Instead I work Greco-Roman wrestling. In other words, it doesn't matter "what" you do, so long as you actually do it and try to apply it against a resisting partner/opponent. Its through that where you discover your "truth in combat", which is an individual process. No instructor, teacher or coach ANYWHERE can give you your own individual expression. That comes from what YOU learn and experience over time. Your experience is your OWN ultimate instructor.

-John

"it is not enough to know,
we must apply"

B. Lee.

#377164 - 01/06/08 07:22 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: Cord]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
Well if your instructor feels that Wing Chun is the best and it honestly works for him then well, whos to argue with his interpretation and experience with the art.

But don't let someone else tell you what is best for you or what not. Only you can figure that out yourself, so if you don't hold Wing Chun in the same light as your instructor does then thats fine. Its your take on the art and yours alone, no one can govern that.

Though I would say his comment about JKD being not a way, would be wrong....it is a way, a way of thinking

#377165 - 01/06/08 07:49 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: IExcalibui2]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
I've been to karate classes, boxing classes, classical jkd classes and BJJ classes, and every instructor has told me the same thing. I've learned enough now to have my eyes opened to the fact that all martial arts work, it just picking the right techniques for the situation. If anything i feel a bit sorry for them as they'll probably never know how ignorant they are.

#377166 - 01/07/08 06:37 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jkdwarrior]
WC_Lun Offline

Loc: Kansas City MO
It is your instructors class. Wanting to add your own JKD experiences to the class seems a bit presumtious. If your teaching that is something different. Presumably if you are experienced enough to teach then you'll know what to teach and when.

Wing Chun is the foundation of much of what Bruce Lee taught. This influences many poeple's opinion on it.

#377167 - 01/07/08 07:40 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: WC_Lun]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

WC_Lun makes a good point. While you are training in someone's school, I think it goes without saying to respect their opinions and philosophy if you willingly choose to remain a student there. I mean, we are all free to go elsewhere, if we don't agree with the instructors points of view.

-John

#377168 - 01/07/08 11:35 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
LifesFist Offline

Everything what You all mentioned here is very helpful to me, Thank You once again.

Just....one more thing and that's it .

I think freedom for one's opinion during the classes is important. Why somebody, instructor for example, should bother himself by hiding some of facts or tries to stay as far as possible from them?

I guess wing chun guys wants to tell that Lee was great only because he studied it, it's like everything he achieved was due to wing chun... And that's why they ignore phenomenon of JKD.

OK, no more cries...

#377169 - 01/08/08 05:02 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Wing Chun is a great system in it's own right, but the reason for Lee's exploration of other arts was because through his experimentation he found WC had some weakness, lacked fluidity and was trapped in it's own classical mess.

It was also thought by the top WC exponents that Bruce Lee was a beginner (comparable to a Shodan level) practictioner of Wing Chun, a simple art that he had only basic understanding of. Which shows with a solid basic foundation what can be accomplished using an open mind to training.

But as the others stated build your foundation in WC/any art 1st, then seek your path to the truth. JKD would be a eye opening experinces after training in WC pluses & minues.

No system is the catch all best system for all r any situation. Now a person can train his system to be used and respond to almost any real changes in his environment. imo.

#377170 - 01/22/08 06:17 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
paine Offline

even if it is juast a modifacation of wing chun its still a martial art...

#377171 - 01/23/08 12:06 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: paine]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

But its not a modification of WC, some JKD has very little Wc left in it, Juna-Fa Gung-fu was a mod of WC back in the 60s but alot of modern JKD could hardly be called a mod of Wing Chun.

It is a MA way of thinking, we agree there.

Edited by Neko456 (01/23/08 12:07 PM)

#377172 - 01/26/08 03:35 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: Neko456]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
To me JKD is no more Wing Chun than it is Karate, Muay Thai or Greco Roman. Its simply a process. More importantly than the ideas it presents in a martial aspect are the philosophies it gives us for life. Simplicity, daily decrease, control of one's ego, thoughts and actions. The ability to look outside the box, and to go against the grain. JKD can be applied to ANY art. JKD is nothing more than taking the ideas and APPLYING them to life.

#377173 - 01/26/08 03:47 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: Chen Zen]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
nice to see you back around here chen zen.

#377174 - 01/26/08 03:53 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: student_of_life]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Thank you student. Ive been off and on a few times. Im getting reay to have a son, and ive just moved to a new town with a new job so I havent been on much but thats going to change soon an Ill be back like I used to be.

#377175 - 01/26/08 05:12 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: Chen Zen]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
sounds like you have a full plate, good luck with it all bud! and congrats with the son!

#377176 - 02/06/08 06:03 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: student_of_life]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks. Ive got alot going on but Im looking forward to it. Hopefully Ill get a break soon and Ill have a chance to fill everyone in on whats been going on lately.

#377177 - 03/01/08 05:35 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
janxspirit Offline

Quote:

There are people in this world, who says that JKD is not a martial art at all, it is just a modification of wing chun or some good thought on a martial way and You shouldn't mention JKD at all.

This is opinion of my wing chun instructor and of all members of certain wing chun association and I heard the same thing from wing chun grand master W.Cheung.

How You would answer to such opinion? Have You ever heard of such a thing?

JKD is a process. That process is "absorb what is useful"

I don't think I'd listen to anyone who calls himself "Grand Master" unless it was Grandmaster Flash from the Furious Five -and even he gets on my nerves...

I believe Wing Chun, as practiced today, is a very limited martial art. I do trap when we spar, but I never never never use Wing Chun energy drills to learn trapping.

Most JKD programs these days involve some kind of boxing and some kind of takedown practice.

I think that sort of JKD program practitioner would always clean up on a wing chunner.

#377178 - 03/19/08 03:36 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
donchisau Offline

The problem with comparing JKD and WC or even comparing WC to WC is that far to many come from a background of my teacher is or was the greatest and if he doesn't teach it or doesn't think much of something than it must not be worth knowing.

Most WC sucks because the people that are teaching it are dogmatic and don't understand the system at all. Yip Man dealt with these people by saying to them " yes you are right" and then walking away leaving them to think they knew what they were doing. Years later the gullible fall for I was Yip Mans closed door student , yips favorite , the best fighter etc and fail to use their head. They then end up with a shadow of what wing chun is.
JKD is a mish mash. Absorb what is useful sounds good but how can you do that unless you have learned all a system has to offer. Who decides you have picked the best parts of WC or savate or kali or BJJ?
WC is concept based. There are no absolutes. No one way. If a move saves your teeth it is correct. If you knock out the opponent it is correct. Some dogmatic types say things like wing chun has no hook. Garbage, wing chun has all sorts of circular concepts including hooks. It doesn't matter what Leung Ting, William Cheung or anyone else claims. Use your head ask if something makes sense. When you spar and you find your bong sau doesn't work don't just say oh well wing chun doesn't work against a boxer or some such. Adapt the concept to the situation.

End Of rant

#377179 - 03/19/08 04:10 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: donchisau]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

You know what I think? At the end of the day, all we have are a collection of tools. Who is better at those tools will prove to come out ahead of someone else who is NOT as good with the tools....and what EVER name you choose to call your "tool-set" is irrelevant; go beat someone if you have a need to prove the validity your "system".

-John

#377180 - 03/19/08 04:56 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: janxspirit]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Quote:

I believe Wing Chun, as practiced today, is a very limited martial art. I do trap when we spar, but I never never never use Wing Chun energy drills to learn trapping.

Uh, that's not really what those are for anyway I think.

#377181 - 03/19/08 09:30 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: janxspirit]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Most JKD programs these days involve some kind of boxing and some kind of takedown practice.

I think that sort of JKD program practitioner would always clean up on a wing chunner.

I honestly think thats an interesting statement.

Which techniques from boxing would you say are in there? Are you refering to sport(gloved) or bareknuckle boxing?
why do you think that?
And I didint quite understand what you meant with people using a boxing defence on the other thread?

Just pondering.

From what I can gather wing chun was simplified for a good reason, namely to have less techniques so they could be drilled more. Therefore a funtional system, created to fight with at that time in history . It came from white crane.

I am not knocking JKD neither.

Say one guy, who trains hard and develops some decent strikes and fighting skills and he is attacked by another guy who doesnt train hard and doesnt have decent strikes or fighting skills what does it matter which art it is?

The guy with the skills could be some guy who trains in a back yard somewhere and have no recognised style.

Jude

#377182 - 03/19/08 10:12 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jude33]
jkdwarrior Offline

Yep, its not the art but the artist. Better still, its the guy who gets his techniques in during those split seconds. Who is better at that moment, even who gets lucky. If you have only a ground game and fight a boxer, you might win, but come back the same time tommorow and you may get your own behind served to you.

#377183 - 03/19/08 10:49 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jude33]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Jude, if you donít mind my sharing my thoughts hereÖ

There are really only a few basic punches in boxing, thus itís a pretty simple art. In fact, I canít think of one that might be more simple. Definitely all of the punches from boxing are used by myself and many, many other JKD practitioners as there is no need to ďleave any outĒ.

JKD isnít a style so much as it is a method of training. Itís a process and not a product.

Basically the idea is to become the most well-rounded fighter possible, where the objective is to be able to flow (fight) between the ranges that fighting can morph into. We have diagnosed those ranges as the free-movement range (or ďstand-up), the clinch and the ground.

What we have noticed is that certain arts tend to show up better during fighting/sparring than have others. Some of those that do show up better are western boxing, muay Thai, savate, judo, Greco-Roman & freestyle wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, etc. All of these arts have something major in common; aliveness.

The wing chun that I have experienced, does not often have this quality. In NO cases that I have directly experienced, was the quality of aliveness present in training.

Wing chun has typically been one of those that HAS not shown to manifest itself well in this regard. Doesnít mean that it canít. It just hasnít. There are solid reasons for why that is, though this doesnít mean that such a practice isnít or canít be beneficial.

To be fair, I have successfully used chain punching and very crude trapping during the sparring process. However this doesnít nearly look like the wing chun that I have seen as classically taught. One reason is because what we do comes out of a boxing base. Fundamentally it is different than much of the wing chun that I have seen.

This has just been MY experience and is merely my own opinion. Iím quite sure that others have experiences which differ from what Iíve encountered.

Thanks

-John

#377184 - 03/20/08 12:15 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Hi John

Everything you wrote made sense to me.
I still have a lot more research to do.
Early days yet.

Thanks

Jude

Edited by jude33 (03/20/08 12:16 PM)

#377185 - 03/20/08 12:21 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: janxspirit]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Hi

Would there be a chance of clarifying what you meant on the other thread?
With regards to boxing defence?

Jude

#377186 - 04/21/08 06:34 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: WC_Lun]
The_Master Offline
Banned. With extreme prejudice.

Loc: Australia. aka The Down Under
*sigh* I AM OBSESSED WITH MARTIAL ARTS! i don't do it...yet. but i study it's concepts and purpose alot. u don't think of JKD as a style, u think of it as an understanding. using different strategies in a simple way, is what JKD is about- i think. JKD IS a way of thinking, it is actually removing the view that martial arts is perfect, and is making it better.

#377187 - 04/21/08 03:35 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
Ames Offline
Veteran

You can't study martial arts without practicing martial arts.

#377188 - 04/21/08 08:52 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: Ames]
jkdwarrior Offline

Yeah, there is absolutely no way you can understand the applications of a movement until you apply it.

#377189 - 04/22/08 02:11 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jkdwarrior]
The_Master Offline

no. i don't apply it. studying as in researching.

#377190 - 04/22/08 06:59 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

*sigh* I AM OBSESSED WITH MARTIAL ARTS! i don't do it...yet. but i study it's concepts and purpose alot.

Then youíre not really unlike a lot of folks here, including many of those that actually attend martial arts classes.

Quote:

u don't think of JKD as a style, u think of it as an understanding. using different strategies in a simple way, is what JKD is about- i think. JKD IS a way of thinking, it is actually removing the view that martial arts is perfect, and is making it better.

I donít see it as a style. JKD is freestyle. It is ultimately about personal style and about finding the best possible ways of improving as a fighter.

#377191 - 04/22/08 07:02 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
The_Master Offline

then JKD sounds right for me. i'm trying to learn more about it's purpose.

#377192 - 04/22/08 09:54 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
Ames Offline
Veteran

I would suggest, if you at all can, that you go and try a class. I know people who have gotten so far into researching martial arts, that they haven't even started training because they are so confused as to where to begin.

--Chris

#377193 - 04/23/08 06:06 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: Ames]
The_Master Offline

lol, yeah. hard to find place over here though, JKD comes from US, and i'm in Australia.

#377194 - 04/24/08 11:08 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Find something you CAN go to and stick with it.

#377195 - 04/25/08 01:39 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: BrianS]
The_Master Offline

if i can't find a good JKD school in area, i look for Wing Chun school.

#377196 - 04/25/08 06:53 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
jkdwarrior Offline

There's a massive difference between jkd and wing chun nowadays. If you're looking for a jkd class and can't find one, then a wing chun class will take you down an entirely different route.
It's not really what art you attend, as long as the students are punching and kicking each other, as well as groundfighting, then you can't really go wrong. Wing chun won't teach you how to fight on the ground.

#377197 - 04/26/08 05:15 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jkdwarrior]
The_Master Offline

that's the only sucky bit?

#377198 - 04/26/08 09:18 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
jkdwarrior Offline

Well I could comment further, but I'm not going to, its not my place.

#377199 - 04/28/08 02:01 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jkdwarrior]
The_Master Offline

i've been given the impression that Wing Chun isn't as flexible as JKD. is this assumption correct in your opinions?

#377200 - 04/28/08 02:53 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jkdwarrior]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

"Wing chun won't teach you how to fight on the ground"

It can.

#377201 - 04/28/08 09:05 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: ShikataGaNai]
jkdwarrior Offline

Really? You learn something new everyday.

One thing Bruce Lee did was alter the fighting stance of wing chun to make it more manouverable like a boxer's. I think in the wing chun chance, the weight is kept to the rear foot. In the Bai Jong, its more like 50-50.
Jkd nowadays should look like the training they do for MMA. If you remember the earlier days of the UFC/pride, the fighters usually had the experience of one martial art. A striker was useless on the ground and a grappler got his head boxed off if he stood up for too long. Over the years, people began to notice which fighters from which arts were consistently winning, and dedided to train in these styles, hence the term MMAist.
Bruce Lee realised this in the late 60's, and it was for this reason he began developing jkd.
I'm also well aware that cage fighting is not the same as real life fighting, but its the closest we're gonna get.

Wing chun was developed by one woman (I think), and I would rather fight in a style that has been developed through years of trial and error, than fight in a style because somebody says this is how you do it. Before MMA competitions, everybody thought their style was the best way to fight. No offence to wing chunners, since your style cannot be tested in this way because you punch at targets like the throat and poke your finger in the eyes, so we'll never know.

#377202 - 04/29/08 06:26 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jkdwarrior]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Okay, a quick example.
Yiu Ma = waist energy. The ability to put your waist into a strike, throw, push etc.
In chi sao applications, you use Yiu Ma for lap sao, turning, Biu Ma - more or less everything and in varying degrees. This allows you to put your entire core (that lovely region of the body that connects the upper and lower halves) in an efficient manner into your technique.
In WC training, we generally do this rooted on our feet. So, take the feet out of the equation. IE, I'm on the receiving end of the mount and I want to roll it over. What do I use to do that? What does BJJ training dictate is the most important muscle group to develop? The CORE!
Yiu Ma = applicable on the ground.
When you get right down to it, most arts aren't all that different. They're either hard styles (karate, MT) or soft styles (BJJ, WC). The stance in WC comes from it's being solely a self defense art. It makes sense if you think about it - nobody is walking around 'ready to go' all the time so a more upright, economic training stance is logical.
Other than that though, it's all applicable in any range if your understanding is there.
I use my WC when I'm on the ground. I say this from experience, not blowing smoke. I don't care how much Bruce Almighty anyone evokes to argue that.

#377203 - 04/30/08 03:47 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: ShikataGaNai]
The_Master Offline

well i'm feeling like the dumbest [censored] on earth, maybe i should come back AFTER i start learning JKD or WC.

#377204 - 04/30/08 05:54 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: ShikataGaNai]
jkdwarrior Offline

Okay, first of all. Every single martial art that I know of advocates the use of the core in movement. If not then you will be moving inefficiently. When I joined the BJJ class, my standup training did transfer over a little because I could use my core and also because I have better proprioception than most lay people. But I wasn't able to win against the better grapplers.
When someone has the mount and you wan't to turn him so that you're in his guard, then yes you can use the idea of the core to turn, but you will NEVER really learn to fight on the ground until you are rolling regularly. If you have only the idea of core movement, and are groundfighting against a BJJ fighter, then it is likely he will win, just like he would probably lose standing up even though he also knows how to move from the core. You need to train standup, clinch and ground if you wan't to be able to fight in all three places. This has been demonstrated so many times. There is so much more to groundfighting the using the core - yet I agree it is an essential element - but you're only fooling yourself if you believe that you punching training will teach you how to defend against an arm bar.

#377205 - 04/30/08 10:27 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jkdwarrior]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Yeah, I was talking about fundamentals. But if it's a fundamental that you learned through WC, than it's WC to you. Or if you learned it in JKD, it's JKD and on and on.
Knowaddamean?

#377206 - 05/01/08 01:58 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: ShikataGaNai]
The_Master Offline

........umm yes?

#377207 - 05/01/08 10:29 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
jkdwarrior Offline

Yes but my initial point was because he was going to go to a wc class if he couldn't find a jkd one. Since "the master" thinks that jkd sounds right for him, if he was to go to a wc class, he would be getting something completely different.
I'm still adamant that training striking will not make you a good groundfighter, just like playing football won't make you great at swimming. I do understand your point though because even on my first few bjj lessons, I was able to beat the white belts consistently. I did have six years of MA experience beforehand though and had been run through a few things. I very quickly realised however, that I had been missing out on a vital part of fighting.
The only significant difference was that due to my standup training, I improved much quicker than the beginners, but I genuinely could not grapple to a satisfactory level until I fought on the ground regularily

#377208 - 05/07/08 09:34 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jkdwarrior]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Can't say that WC will teach you groundfighting but the knowledge you gain from standup benefits you greatly on the ground. Many southern Chinese MA focus on punching (Wing Chun for example) and if you are on either end of the guard/mount you would be more able to defend yourself against strikes (or on the flip side, start sending bombs). Also any involvement with arm, hand and core strength you already have from all the striking you do.

I say this because thats how I felt whenever I rolled with anybody. I could control their arms and pin them down a lot easier from the misc. trapping techniques and simple movements to gain passage when I delt with striking. I learned to pass people's arms and position them faster because you already learn a bit of that on your feet.

#377209 - 05/08/08 10:37 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: IExcalibui2]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

I believe that JKD gives you a wider idea of what the ranges are in fighting. It has Wing Chun idea of multiple quick efficent strikes at mid to trapping range and uses them more mobile or anyway they can it also has the Savate/Thai/western Boxing/Kali/Silat influence along with various forms of ground fighting to include BJJ/Judo like ne waza.

Wing Chun is a good traditional standup fighting system but lacks the fluidity and flexibility of the eceltic JKD idea. WC lacks the long range, mid range and ground fighting combination of a good JKD program.

Edited by Neko456 (05/08/08 10:38 AM)

#377210 - 05/08/08 09:31 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: Neko456]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

well I don't treat JKD as a "style" it just helps and guides me on what kind of decisions to make in terms of my training, which includes the multiple ranges that you mentioned.

Personally most of the experience I've had comes from Southern Praying Mantis and informal Muay Thai, though I've picked up many things here n there that I find useful. To me, the close range workings of Southern Mantis (similar to WC) helps me a lot when dealing with a guy on the ground (after I establish position) because of you're both very close and are essentially in trapping range.

you can say that WC lacks a multitude of ranges but many MA out there do as well. Its just because people from different areas encounter different things and design a fighting system around what they see and know. Just natural.

#377211 - 05/08/08 10:39 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: IExcalibui2]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

True. I've seen JKD guys who ran completely against what I believe the essence of JKD to be. The name has been tossed around like garbage and quite honestly, that's to be expected given that half of the people who practice it probably don't even know what it is.

#377212 - 05/09/08 03:43 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

yep...the title of this thread is a fine example of that..

#377213 - 05/09/08 04:01 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: IExcalibui2]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

I agree completely

#377214 - 05/09/08 10:22 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: IExcalibui2]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Notice in my last post I referred to JKD as a IDEA. Wing Chun is a style and we are comparing these two fighting methods.

All version of have fighting have gyms that don't produce realistic fighting skills but this is true whether its TKD, JKD, WC or Wu Shu.

But I thought we were comparing functional realistic in method kuens.

#377215 - 05/10/08 02:34 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: Neko456]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

I dunno..to me JKD is pretty simple and doesnt really teach me fighting method. It just teaches me to be open to all MA, any technique, as long as it works for me so that I'm not closed and blinded (ex. realizing the need for striking AND grappling). Everything else, at least for me, came from just training techniques that say WC would offer. I learn some fighting methods of WC and then some from MT and then some from Mantis and find a way for things to work and *BAM thats my fighting method. JKD did not give me a fighting method, just helped me make my own

thats why I'm not seeing a comparison here....unless your talking about Jun Fan Gungfu.....

#377216 - 05/10/08 03:43 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: IExcalibui2]
The_Master Offline

so JKD is about being open and flexible etc compared to other 'styles' that just say, do what we teach u?

#377217 - 05/10/08 06:02 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

thats the main message that I get...if you're talking about stances and straight leads, those things just fall under technicalities along with things like WC's blasting and trapping or a triangle choke. JKD just guides me in my process to move and fight the way I would like to. I know theres certain "rules" that Bruce Lee wrote down in his Tao of JKD, but honestly to me thats his intrepretation and not mine. I don't think of JKD like a religion with 10 commandments that you must follow, otherwise it'll be a bit hypocritical in my mind. I'll carve my own path

#377218 - 05/10/08 10:54 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: IExcalibui2]
The_Master Offline

JKD is: Use no way as way. there are no boundaries, or restrictions. which is why, JKD RULES!

#377219 - 05/11/08 02:21 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

haha I'm glad to see your enthusiasm for the philosophy

#377220 - 05/11/08 07:11 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: IExcalibui2]
The_Master Offline

what?! that's all JKD is?! PHILOSOPHY?! stuff it then, lol. j/k

#377221 - 05/11/08 08:39 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Here's some recommended reading for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do

Of course its just basic ideas, but its a good start.

#377222 - 05/12/08 02:01 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
The_Master Offline

i already read that, that's where i got the philosophy from, i like the water part.

#377223 - 05/13/08 07:59 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I think you'll find the water part in Tao Te Ching too.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#377224 - 05/14/08 04:15 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: trevek]
The_Master Offline

FOR ALL THOSE THAT LEARN MA, FOCUS NOT ON JUST THE PRACTICAL APPLICATION, LEARN THE MORALS AND PHILOSOPHY IT TEACHES.

#377225 - 05/14/08 08:52 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: The_Master]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
One of those philosophies is to empty your cup!

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga