FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#377157 - 01/06/08 01:45 PM JKD VS. Wing Chun
LifesFist Offline

Loc: Above Is Heaven, Down Is Earth
There are people in this world, who says that JKD is not a martial art at all, it is just a modification of wing chun or some good thought on a martial way and You shouldn't mention JKD at all.

This is opinion of my wing chun instructor and of all members of certain wing chun association and I heard the same thing from wing chun grand master W.Cheung.

How You would answer to such opinion? Have You ever heard of such a thing?

#377158 - 01/06/08 02:03 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
JKD is a name. It's an almost worn-out name. The most important thing is to train according to its major tenets and concepts, and not worry about politics.

At its core, JKD is about aliveness, simplicity and adaptability in training & fighting. If you're adhering to those concepts, you're training in the spirit of JKD. WHEN you do that, you never stop to think about "JKD" as a style, system, name, or anything else -- you just train, which is the whole idea.

Forget about names. Just train. Train smart, athletically, with progressive resistance, variable intensity and after all of that, TEST yourself by fighting (not street fighting) within your school(s), against your partners, in competition with other schools and above all, against people who are intelligent and have their egos under control. Outside of those things, nothing else matters. When you're approaching things this way, you are adhering to the JKD concept.

-John

#377159 - 01/06/08 03:52 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
LifesFist Offline

I know what You are talking about. You know, I just want to find a way how to introduce my JKD experience to others in my wing chun classes. But my instructor when I just mention something about JKD says, JKD is nothing,JKD is not a way, Wing Chun is the best... What do You think, if one is studying wing chun and nothing else in his whole life, can he return to that primordial freedom o his?? Or this will lead him to one end -

#377160 - 01/06/08 03:59 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

I personally don't believe that ANY style is "the best". Either all styles are limited or, there are no such things as styles.

And I particularly don't have much of a positive opinion about wing chun. Of course thats true about majority of traditional martial arts -- even "JKD" for a large part (many have turned it into just another traditional martial art).

Just my opinions. Form your own and don't take anyone's word for anything. Pressure test everything.

-John

#377161 - 01/06/08 04:13 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
LifesFist Offline

OK, I am calm again

Thank You

#377162 - 01/06/08 04:43 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: LifesFist]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Some more stuff....

It can be said that JKD is really just a way of thinking about things. It's philosophy that governs your training. Some schools adhere to the Jun Fan (wing chun offshoot) and others don't. Some use more of a boxing, muay Thai approach (as I do). I don't do trapping. Instead I work Greco-Roman wrestling. In other words, it doesn't matter "what" you do, so long as you actually do it and try to apply it against a resisting partner/opponent. Its through that where you discover your "truth in combat", which is an individual process. No instructor, teacher or coach ANYWHERE can give you your own individual expression. That comes from what YOU learn and experience over time. Your experience is your OWN ultimate instructor.

-John

#377163 - 01/06/08 04:53 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: JKogas]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Some more stuff....

It can be said that JKD is really just a way of thinking about things. It's philosophy that governs your training. Some schools adhere to the Jun Fan (wing chun offshoot) and others don't. Some use more of a boxing, muay Thai approach (as I do). I don't do trapping. Instead I work Greco-Roman wrestling. In other words, it doesn't matter "what" you do, so long as you actually do it and try to apply it against a resisting partner/opponent. Its through that where you discover your "truth in combat", which is an individual process. No instructor, teacher or coach ANYWHERE can give you your own individual expression. That comes from what YOU learn and experience over time. Your experience is your OWN ultimate instructor.

-John

"it is not enough to know,
we must apply"

B. Lee.

#377164 - 01/06/08 07:22 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: Cord]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
Well if your instructor feels that Wing Chun is the best and it honestly works for him then well, whos to argue with his interpretation and experience with the art.

But don't let someone else tell you what is best for you or what not. Only you can figure that out yourself, so if you don't hold Wing Chun in the same light as your instructor does then thats fine. Its your take on the art and yours alone, no one can govern that.

Though I would say his comment about JKD being not a way, would be wrong....it is a way, a way of thinking

#377165 - 01/06/08 07:49 PM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: IExcalibui2]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
I've been to karate classes, boxing classes, classical jkd classes and BJJ classes, and every instructor has told me the same thing. I've learned enough now to have my eyes opened to the fact that all martial arts work, it just picking the right techniques for the situation. If anything i feel a bit sorry for them as they'll probably never know how ignorant they are.

#377166 - 01/07/08 06:37 AM Re: JKD VS. Wing Chun [Re: jkdwarrior]
WC_Lun Offline

Loc: Kansas City MO
It is your instructors class. Wanting to add your own JKD experiences to the class seems a bit presumtious. If your teaching that is something different. Presumably if you are experienced enough to teach then you'll know what to teach and when.

Wing Chun is the foundation of much of what Bruce Lee taught. This influences many poeple's opinion on it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga