FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
Bartfast 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#375191 - 12/24/07 12:38 PM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: JKogas]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

What are your opinions in both the technical aspects as well as the differences in the performance of the individual athletes of the various approaches. Just curious to hear what everyone has to say.

The main difference is the open rule set not allowing striking refinement. So MMA is land of the haymaker in a sense and boxing is land of the technician.

That is not a knock on MMA, it's just the reality of the sport because so many differnt types of attacks are allowed. Because boxing is so limited, boxers can refine their art to a much higher degree then an MMA striker can because of the full body defense he needs.

#375192 - 12/24/07 12:53 PM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: Kimo2007]
NRNS Offline

Loc: manchester, england
Yes i know that more protection is offered with MMA gloves than bone to bone but i think Taison was getting at the fact boxers throw their Hooks a different way than MMA fighters. My opinion lays that to the fact the MMA gloves be it 4oz 6 oz dont offer much protection compared to boxing gloves hence the difference in general technique

#375193 - 12/24/07 01:19 PM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: NRNS]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

My opinion lays that to the fact the MMA gloves be it 4oz 6 oz dont offer much protection compared to boxing gloves hence the difference in general technique

Thanks for clearing that up.

#375194 - 12/24/07 01:49 PM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: Kimo2007]
NRNS Offline

you're welcome

#375195 - 12/24/07 04:13 PM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: JKogas]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Just an observation, I have no real MMA training as such, but generally in MMA they seem to throw power shots when punching. The jab isn't really used too much. I have seen some fights where MMA'ists throw power shots with the lead hand, but not so much jabbing goes on (please note my MMA experience amounts to watching PRIDE and some UFC!!!).

In Boxing the jab is crucial. It is used to find range, as a defensive technqiue, a tool to find rhythm, to close distance, and generally wear someone down and keep them off balance.

Whereas I couldn't be certain, I would suggest that there are other tools available in MMA to accomplish the aforementioned. E.g. grappling on the ground to wear someone down.

I could be wayyyyyy off here, but there seems to be a culture in MMA about ending the fight. In other words, stopping the fight within the distance (assuming it is a sport match with sets rules and time limits). I could be completely wrong about this.

I find that in boxing, (well in amateur boxing), there is a massive emphasis on winning the fight by outboxing someone (this is why the jab is crucial). Thoughts or tatics for knockouts/stoppages don't come into it.

Is the same true GENERALLY for MMA? Or is there a culture of finding the most effective way of outright stopping an opponent? Is MMA about using the most effective fighting techniques? If so, what defines it as being effective? Is it whether or not you can use it to stop a fight, to over come an oppoenent?

The reason I ask that is I wonder if that is why in MMA power shots seem to take preference over jabs??? Power shots can knock a guy out. Jabs usually can't.

My "logic" could be completely flawed here! Feel free to let me know!

#375196 - 12/24/07 04:59 PM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: Prizewriter]
NRNS Offline

The emphasis in MMA to stop a fight early is simply because a fight can go either way and be won a number of ways: KO, TKO, Submission, Ref stoppage etc. Also power shots can open up numerous opportunities for fighters I.E. takedowns/slams.

Because MMA fighters have many weapons at their disposal it's easier to catch your opponent cold and this mainly happens early in the first round. Plus with the fighters being able to use so many techniques this also brings the questions of fitness to mind.

In essence every fighter within MMA has the ability to beat any of his opposition if they can utalise the correct strategy which more often than not is to knock the other guy out.

As for jabs knocking someone out i think the recent Hightower vs Rudeboy ended because of a straight left that connected right on the button and effectively stopped Hightowers ability to defend himself. Again it is all down to fighter preference and what they feel comfortable with, I myself like to use my jab to set up takedowns and combinations and if the chance arises for me to land that big power shot then i will try my best to execute and take the chance when presented with it.

#375197 - 12/24/07 07:47 PM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: NRNS]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I believe you can have a "technical" MMA boxing game if you have a good clinch and a sprawl. Obviously grappling changes the dynamics considerably as has been pointed out.

There are some great strikers in MMA. However because of the smaller gloves, everyone now has a "puncher's chance".

#375198 - 12/25/07 02:49 PM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: JKogas]
NRNS Offline

The best or should i say most efficient strike i currently see in MMA is Anderson Silva. The guy leads with a good strong jab and then works his clinch game from there and he's destroyed his last 4 opponents in the first round, he really does demonstarte a rounded game. and he has a professional boxing record of 1-0-0

#375199 - 12/26/07 05:00 AM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: NRNS]
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa
boxers can stand more sideways i think, because they only have to worry about punches. thus they can really get alot of rotation on their punches. they dont have to worry about clinching, eating knees and elbows, or being thrown. a kickboxer or mma guy has to be a bit more mobile, and have to be able to move farther faster to avoid kicks and shoot attempts, as well as to be able to throw his kicks. he must be able to do anything he wants from his stance, shoot, sprawl, kick, knee, strike, evade etc.

about the hook punches, a boxing coach once told me that if the opponent is at your maximum reach you should use a vertical fist to assure your big knuckles are making contact, your arm actually becomes weaker when you turn it over horizontal while extended that far. but that if hes in close..the vertical hook has no power and you really need the twist to dig it in. in either case, one prominent feature is trying to land your big knuckles on his face, or body.
also if you watch not necessarily a boxing match, but a boxing coach teaching a hook for example, they tell you to pivot all the way, if you do that to a thai fighter or mmatist you are in serious trouble. so the rules really dictate what kind of tactics you use.

#375200 - 12/26/07 08:04 AM Re: Differences between Boxing and MMA Striking? [Re: kempo_jujitsu]
NRNS Offline

Quote:

also if you watch not necessarily a boxing match, but a boxing coach teaching a hook for example, they tell you to pivot all the way, if you do that to a thai fighter or mmatist you are in serious trouble. so the rules really dictate what kind of tactics you use.

This is where the cross training from boxing strikes to Thai strikes are needed as all Thai strikes come from the core and generate a lot of force. Again this is a subtle difference in technique but it can make or break a fight.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga