FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#375105 - 01/03/08 12:16 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: Ed_Morris]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

yeah, ok, 'just' a theory...so lets keep burning more of the earth and putting it in the air and see what happens. Then, when the 'theory' becomes a naked eye observable fact, we can attribute it to something else....just like how people develop skill and LATER they attribute it to using 'Chi'.

My thoughts.
Looks to me like there a lot of factors for global warming.
Reducing mans input might help but it seems they say the effects cant be reversed.
That I find hard to believe given the changes that the Earth is meant to have gone through because of natural occurences.
Maybe they mean short term.
It also seems as pointed out that because of the few's greed, mans input in certain countries isnt happening.
Or maybe they dont see it happening in their lifetime so it doesnt matter.
Good job people can be voted out unless they rig the postal votes as they are said to do in certain countries.

I love alleged corruption. Brings a new meaning to being mugged with a suitcase.

Jude

#375106 - 01/03/08 03:13 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: jude33]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
jude33,

I addressed the ki-has-many-meanings arguement at some length. Perhaps you did not see it. Breifly, I said ki-believers only evoke this arguement when challenged by skeptics. When speaking amongst themselves, ki-believers use the word "ki" freely w/o ever specifying which definition they intend, yet somehow no confusion results. My suspicion: the so-called "silly New Age" definition of ki is THE definition of ki and the ki-has-many-meanings line is a just a smoke screen to throw off critics.

And I don't know how the trick with the boiling water was done. But I also don't know how world-famous stage magicians Penn & Teller perfrom a trick where they appear to shoot at each others heads and catch the incoming bullets in their teeth. What I do know--in both cases--is that it MUST be a trick, because such feats are not humanly possible.

If you want a short but thorough dissection of the global-warming-is-a-myth hoax, start here:

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/page.cfm?tagID=1011

#375107 - 01/03/08 03:41 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: fileboy2002]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

jude33,

I addressed the ki-has-many-meanings arguement at some length. Perhaps you did not see it. Breifly, I said ki-believers only evoke this arguement when challenged by skeptics. When speaking amongst themselves, ki-believers use the word "ki" freely w/o ever specifying which definition they intend, yet somehow no confusion results. My suspicion: the so-called "silly New Age" definition of ki is THE definition of ki and the ki-has-many-meanings line is a just a smoke screen to throw off critics.

And I don't know how the trick with the boiling water was done. But I also don't know how world-famous stage magicians Penn & Teller perfrom a trick where they appear to shoot at each others heads and catch the incoming bullets in their teeth. What I do know--in both cases--is that it MUST be a trick, because such feats are not humanly possible.

If you want a short but thorough dissection of the global-warming-is-a-myth hoax, start here:

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/page.cfm?tagID=1011

Hi

I dont think I need to read up again on global warming.
I would much rather see a persons opinion, with the "for" and "against" after they have reached a conclusion based on their own findings than be given something to read written by someone else.

I have enough answers to form my opinion on global warming. Here it is for what it is worth.

The very nature of what the Earth is makes for the greenhouse effect. Man adds to the effect with different emmisions from products and the manufacturing of products. If it is deemed what he does is making the planet warmer then, as is happening in certain countries, the correct steps are being taken. Apart from other countries that refuse to comply.

The Earth has gone and will indeed go through severe changes from natural events such as the difference in presumed orbit's around the Sun etc etc (according to some scientists).

Earth has had severe changes in the past (according to some scientists) with out mans input.

Certain politicians have a vested interest in not "considering" the future of the planet.

The boiling in water trick done by magicians?

If I stated that then I think I would be looking for a
method that they use otherwise I wouldnt negate some ones statement, but that is your choice.

It is easy to state off the cuff negative arguments but then they have little value unless they have a reason.

One thing I have learned about this forum is there are people who argue. From some of these arguments a lot can be learned. Negative off the cuff statements is anybody's choice. But without reason they lead no-where.
I might at one time have been guilty of the same thing. The difference is, I like to think that I learn.

Jude

Edited by jude33 (01/03/08 04:19 PM)

#375108 - 01/03/08 05:26 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: fileboy2002]
pathfinder7195 Offline

Loc: T.C Michigan, U.S
Maybe somebody should start a global warming thread. So this does not get hijacked. Thanks

#375109 - 01/03/08 05:44 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: pathfinder7195]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Maybe somebody should start a global warming thread. So this does not get hijacked. Thanks

Well I suppose the topic drifted but
a monk sitting out in the cold and global warming do have something in common. If it gets to warm on the planet there wont be any need for study if some one is surviving sitting out in the cold. Because it wont be cold enough.

So back to the topic.
Basicaly mind control and the experiment.

Jude

#375110 - 01/04/08 01:34 AM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: jude33]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

"If I stated that then I think I would be looking for a
method that they use otherwise I wouldnt negate some ones statement, but that is your choice."

So, jude33, following your logic, since I do not know how Penn and Teller do the bullets-in-the-teeth trick, I should just believe it is a miracle or something?

Sorry to be blunt, but I am just not that stupid.

#375111 - 01/04/08 08:33 AM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: fileboy2002]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

"If I stated that then I think I would be looking for a
method that they use otherwise I wouldnt negate some ones statement, but that is your choice."

So, jude33, following your logic, since I do not know how Penn and Teller do the bullets-in-the-teeth trick, I should just believe it is a miracle or something?

Sorry to be blunt, but I am just not that stupid.

Nope.

If you are following my logic then what I am aiming at is at least a person might consider doing some research as to how someone does something. Then it could be stated I dont believe it because [ put in the reason here ]

Nobody has said you are stupid and would you please lighten up. People can sometimes be wrong . Me included. I aint perfect. Some women might see me as being the opposite but
I presume that is normal when they want something. ( says Jude in a slightly dream state)

Anyhow I think the guy who started the thread has given a subtle hint about hijacking the thread so I think it is best we go back to the original topic.

Which I will do.

Need a bit of time first.

Jude

#375112 - 01/04/08 10:38 AM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: pathfinder7195]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/04.18/09-tummo.html

Maybe mind exercises have some benefit? Like the ability to control one's inner-organs through the use of a relaxed and controlled focus. I have also heard of monks being able to massage and manipulate their organs like you can with your biceps, and why not the heart is nothing more than a muscle that can be controlled. I think these monks clearly prove that by lowering their heart rate and at the same time raising their body temperature.

My limited findings and best basic guess.

Firstly this type of extreme meditation is said to be done after some form of psychological and physiological preparation.

I am guessing that part of the physiological preperation is the gradual build up of brown fat in the body.

How this is done not sure yet

Here are the guesses

It might be done by the gradual exposure to the differnent levels of cold.

Could be done with food of some form

Exercise increases the thermogenic effect of brown fat.

(Thermogenesis means the creation of heat)

The release of norepinephrine that is the hormone released under stress.

This hormone activates an enzyme that splits the brown fat cell causing heat.

The bodies use of the hormone norepinephrine can be brought about by the mind ?

The use of the brown fat for heat would be on top of the normal process of the bodies normal heat production.

I guess that if the process of gradualy conditioning the body to the cold is true then the use of the mind again would be important in tolerating the cold and conditions.
Maybe a form of self hypnosis?

All the processes are energy.

Splitting of molocules?

One definition of chi = energy

Jude

Edited by jude33 (01/04/08 11:04 AM)

#375113 - 01/05/08 03:53 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: jude33]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

I agree that doing research is a good idea. However, in the case of magic tricks, magicians are careful NOT to make information about how they do tricks available. It is a special case.

But please: do you doubt for a moment that the Penn & Teller trick I described is, in fact, a trick?

#375114 - 01/05/08 05:31 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: fileboy2002]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I agree that doing research is a good idea. However, in the case of magic tricks, magicians are careful NOT to make information about how they do tricks available. It is a special case.

But please: do you doubt for a moment that the Penn & Teller trick I described is, in fact, a trick?

Hi file boy.

Would you care to comment about the topic on the thread?

Slight deviation from the given topic by Jude to keep fileboy happy.

You say magicians are careful not to make information available.

File boy can I make a suggestion? Would you like to attempt to do some research? You agree doing research is a good idea?

Can I ask do you mean other people doing research is a good idea or do you mean that "You" yourself doing research might be a good idea?.

If it is the last part then I agree. It would be a good idea if you did some research so do you "think" there is a substance that if added to boiling water brings down the temperature, but the liquid still boils? Is so what would you call the substance?

I think Harry Houdini did the same trick with the bullet.
Care to work out how he did it? This might give a person some research skills.

Back to the topic.

Judes students thoughts.

It seems humans have lived through extreme cold in the distant past.
So it might be humans still have the genetic programming (not sure if that is the correct term) to
adapt to extreme cold. Thus the brown fat cells and even perhaps a form of none activity. The yoga’s in India have made claims to this activity.

Do humans still have this and the monks have re-activated it? By what means?

Jude will attempt to work it out.

Edited by jude33 (01/05/08 06:00 PM)

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga