FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 07:16 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432449 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#375125 - 01/08/08 07:48 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: fileboy2002]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I have posted over 500 times, and I don't think more than three of my posts have included other people's work.

But that is not the point: if I simply "work out" things on my own, you don't accept what I say as legitimate evidence. If I refer to outside sources, you still don't accept it.

This seems to be going around in circles.
If you want a discussion then take out parts of the experiment. Write them out.
State what you agree with or dissagree with.
State why.

From what I wrote.
Do you disagree with the part about the body fat?
The part about the meditation?
Adaptation to cold?
The mind use during this adaptation?
How do you think it is used?

Then state your views.

Jude

#375126 - 01/08/08 09:42 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: jude33]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
First of all, you do not get to dictate to me or anyone else what, how, or in what order we respond to you. Who the @#$% do you think you are? This ain't no prison and I ain't your bitch, bitch.

Second, of all, if I tell you what I think, you will demand evidence. If I provide evidence, you will refuse to consider it on the ground I did not tell you what I think.

#375127 - 01/08/08 11:32 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: fileboy2002]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

First of all, you do not get to dictate to me or anyone else what, how, or in what order we respond to you. Who the @#$% do you think you are? This ain't no prison and I ain't your bitch, bitch.

Second, of all, if I tell you what I think, you will demand evidence. If I provide evidence, you will refuse to consider it on the ground I did not tell you what I think.

hey everyone, I think you just found a new qualified moderator for this room! he's subtle, diplomatic, emotionally-attenuated and obviously knowledgeable...

#375128 - 01/09/08 12:58 AM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: Ed_Morris]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Sorry, but we all have our limits.

#375129 - 01/09/08 11:19 AM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: fileboy2002]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Fileboy
Quote:

First of all, you do not get to dictate to me

Dictate =To issue orders or commands

Jude
Quote:

This seems to be going around in circles.
If you want a discussion.

The word “If” gives you the choice of discussing the topic with me or not.
The topic is the experiment and what the poster wrote at the start of the thread.
The topic drifted I attempted to bring it back.
Quote:

or anyone else what, how, or in what order we respond to you.

Which anyone else? There wasn’t anyone else. Either the comments had fileboy written above or were addressed to your response box. As I said I am willing to discuss the topic. Unwilling to discuss other things which have no relevance to the topic.
Quote:

Who the @#$% do you think you are? This ain't no prison and I ain't your bitch, bitch.

This is where I think/suggest rather than finding fault with things like “chi” you should take up meditation and/or consider to start to believe in chi.

Your above statement might indicate you have very little self control.

Seems like you have had some bad experience.
That isn’t my business.

Please try to stay in control. I would suggest use your mind and Concentrate. Other people use a little chant .
I have thought up a chant. You might wish to share.
Chi exists
Ki exists
Chi exists
repeat Etc etc
Quote:

Second, of all, if I tell you what I think, you will demand evidence. If I provide evidence, you will refuse to consider it on the ground I did not tell you what I think

I think it might be said you could realy benefit from meditation.
Might need to clear your mind.
If you post a link and ask me to consider it and I consider it nothing to do with the topic why are you getting confused?

So If you would like a discussion with me about the topic then fine.
If you choose to drift to far off topic I am not interested

Fileboy lighten up.
The world is a wondefull place even with chi, prisons and global warming.

That wasnt an order more of a suggestion
Jude

#375130 - 01/09/08 05:53 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: jude33]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

I have to hand it to you, jude33. The amount of time and energy you have devoted to this is charming in an oddway.

May the force be with you.

#375131 - 01/09/08 06:06 PM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: fileboy2002]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I have to hand it to you, jude33. The amount of time and energy you have devoted to this is charming in an oddway.

May the force be with you.

Didnt take long, about 2 mins and chi can be defined as energy as we have established.
So how about you lighten up and discuss the topic.
Self control is something that has to be worked on.

Jude

#375132 - 01/10/08 01:18 AM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: jude33]
Sorin Offline

Loc: Oxford, MS
Hmm I wouldn't mind commenting on this thread, though I have to go a good ways back to the start to find the actual subject of the thread.

Subject #1: Chi - Maybe there is some force that we can learn to control to control our bodies, heal, or reduce damage to nothing. Or maybe it has to do with just some really talented people who have trained their butts off to be able to control various aspect of their bodies and minds far better then normal people. If someone wants to prove it scientifically, then go for it if someone's willing to fund it. Just because something hasn't been proven by science at this moment doesn't mean it's untrue or BS. Maybe the studies will show that the "feats" are nothing more then extreme body control, or maybe they'll show that it's something beyond the current scientific understanding.

Subject 2: Science - Our science is created by people doing tests and researching subjects. Through these tests, we get a better understanding of how things work. But, it can't be considered as the absolute truth. It's interesting when people cry for scientific evidence for this and that without really thinking about the nature of science. I'll be the first to say that I would hold most things proven through science to be fairly true in most cases, but don't forget that all science starts out as a hypothesis. Then it's subjected to tests and years, and if the results are similar then it's considered a theory. Then after time it becomes considered a law. A law is generally accepted as true. It is not considered absolute truth. Because science is obtained with our current technology and current understanding, many things change as those two factors grow. If you look at a diagram of an atom from early physics and compare it to what you would see in a modern day book, you'll notice a bit of a difference. What was once considered by most scientists to be what it looked like, is not the same now. So, is there a mystical force that people can control? Maybe, maybe not.. Can science prove it? Perhaps.. Though it's probably more possible that if such a thing exists our knowledge and technology would be insufficient to completely understand it. Maybe in a few hundred years, if we haven't destroyed the earth or died of heat stroke we'll know for sure. Until then, we'll just have to debate it back and forth. Just remember, that science isn't always gospel. I would bet that if we had the ability to go anywhere in this universe and study everything out there, we would find that all of our accumulated scientific knowledge is nothing more then a children's book if you compare it to reality.

In the end, all everyone is probably going to end up doing is arguing. It's a shame that there seems to be a majority of two camps. Those that believe what they see and hear completely and those that think it's a magic trick without even considering the possibility. It would be far better if the believers were a little more skeptical and the skeptics opened their minds a little bit more. Surely the middle ground is always the easiest place for everyone to meet without killing each other.

Sorin

Edited by Sorin (01/10/08 01:25 AM)

#375133 - 01/10/08 06:40 AM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: Sorin]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

These analogies further reinforce the idea that
plasticity of consciousness remains a key factor in successful biological adaptation.

My thoughts.
The thoughts from certain scientists who have done research
In meditation indicate to me that a persons belief of chi in the correct way will have a positive effect on their body. If they believe and the body is physically capable of doing given tasks it will

The practice of meditation (to me at least) is a way of reprogramming the mind.

Looking for another persons wrong meaning of chi wouldnt gain anything for the person who is looking.

Jude

#375134 - 01/10/08 07:07 AM Re: CHI? Tibetan Monks, Harvard, scientific study. [Re: Sorin]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Would you consider applying for a job at the United Nations?

"It's a shame that there seems to be a majority of two camps. Those that believe what they see and hear completely and those that think it's a magic trick without even considering the possibility. It would be far better if the believers were a little more skeptical and the skeptics opened their minds a little bit more"

You left out a third camp -- those that have actually put in the time and effort to train (for years) to acquire contact with and control of this "force/energy" and feel it coursing through their bodies at the speed of thought. For this camp, it is not a theory.

They may not be able to say what exactly this is in terms of current scientific terminology or where it's found on the Periodic Table or where it stands under Newton's Laws or whether it has any bearing on the current understanding of Quantum Physics. But the answer that this camp has to give when asked the question -- do you believe in this Bio-physio-energy (which the chinese gave it the name of 'chi' for reasons which I have explained elsewhere) -- would have been the same answer that Jesus Christ would have given if asked the question whether He believed in God, and the answer would have been No!

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga