FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#374703 - 08/21/08 01:50 PM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: itfoldschool]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Aww..

Unless you consider being a chef apprentice with a low salary, and no permanent residence your dream, then yes, I am living your dream

~Donnie

#374704 - 08/21/08 02:26 PM Taison's Journey; A new path? [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

I don't know how or where to begin;

Basically, I'll start with a little update of myself for you new, and old, members;

I've had my difficulties in my life. Failure after failure. I've never been anyone special. After the loss of my mother, the only thing I've discovered was more social impedement and lack of support. The only thing I call a family was my master, who due to political reasons, had to relocate.

I've been wandering, in my journey, alone. I've spent a total of 2 years training, researching, refining, conditioning based on his small doctrines that he left me.

Now, due to my financial difficulties, I'm stuck here in Pattaya now, my town of 'upbrining'.

I've been trying my hardest to find a new art, to learn more. But I've failed. Again. WTF?

Then I had this vision (day dream?). It's my time to put what I've learnt together into a system. No no, I'm not going to create my own style or anything, hehe, I don't believe in them. But I do believe in proper training, also a man can not become more without assistance.

John Kogas, a senior member here, is my inspiration. He has a group of people, who takes every theory and idea, and throws it out on the mat and see if it works. That's my dream.

Anyway, I need help here to formulate my thoughts and many others;

Basically, I was considering setting up an informal training group consisting of MMA style training but not focused entirely on sport, but also self-defense. Following this post will be my philosophy and other mumbo jumbo my mind can produce this late at night.

So here's my new journey and my doctrine.

~Taison

#374705 - 08/21/08 03:13 PM Re: Taison's Journey; A new path? [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

The Principles

• Economy of motion
  • Minimum Effort, Maximum Effect
  • Simplicity
  • Directness
  • Kuzushi
  • No limitations, no rules, totality

Ever since I started MA, these have been my principles. Anything new must fall within these principles or it is immediately discarded.

I'd like to go into technical details;

Unlike many martial artists, I belive in order to become a good fighter, you need sound knowledge and experience of all the ranges. Sure, everyone has a weakness, but many arts have limitations to their different ranges which makes you unable to express yourself. For example; I'm not very good at ground-fighting if I'm restricted by rules like Judo's newaza. However, I have a tendency to become extremely efficient in it if the rule of 'Ground n' Pound' is allowed because I am, deep down, a striker.

I don't like things that takes ages to learn, or is only efficient in theory. It must work now or soon, and it must have a high percentage of success.

I don't believe in anyone needing to train for years to become reasonably efficient in any art. An art must be like a tool; you feel akward at first, then shortly after it just 'clicks' into place and feel natural. This only happens if you allow adaptability, which many training regimes dissallows.

I'm not going to discuss the physical attribute training in this thread, but rather, I'm going to stick to the technical training of things.

For my system that I am going to teach (Note, determined) I've set up a curriculum as following;

• Crazy Monkey Boxing (Close Quarter Defense and Dirty Clinch)
  • Judo for upper body, Wrestling for lower body throws
  • Muay Thai Knee and Elbow techniques
  • Kyokushin kicks but influence of JKD
  • Mainly Boxing and some Karate (WTF? ) for punching
  • Use of Bruce Lee's Phasic Bent Knee stance and long range defense
  • 'Ground and Pound' emphasis for the ground (getting superior position and slug it out using percussive instruments, but using submission holds from judo/jujutsu isn't out of the option
  • RBSD scenario training~ What's the point in being able to fight but not able to talk your way out of things?

I will discuss each point later on in detail why.

These points creates a well-rounded fighter, with an emphasis on striking (Like I told you, I'm a striker) but give me a limb and you'll say hello to the concrete faster than you can count to 2.

My training sessions will start off as following;

• Warm up consisting of stretching and light cardio
  • Striking work
  • Grappling work
  • Theory work (Discussing techniques and learning new)
  • Putting theory to practice
  • Sparring
  • Conditioning
  • Cool down

If you've got any pointers feel free to comment.

~Donnie

#374706 - 08/27/08 05:49 AM Re: Taison's Journey; A new path? [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Ok, I've been working a bit on my own training (and gotten nowhere with the training group).

Anyways, here's some goodies I've been dissecting these couple of days;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAiWxdC-uY8&feature=PlayList&p=6B527DAEF639F00A&index=42
Filipino Boxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2myXZqzatbE&feature=PlayList&p=6B527DAEF639F00A&index=67
Empty hand Panantukan

More coming up, just need to reboot my computer.

#374707 - 08/27/08 08:38 AM Re: Taison's Journey; A new path? [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Quote:

Crazy Monkey Boxing (Close Quarter Defense and Dirty Clinch)
Judo for upper body, Wrestling for lower body throws
Muay Thai Knee and Elbow techniques
Kyokushin kicks but influence of JKD
Mainly Boxing and some Karate (WTF? ) for punching
Use of Bruce Lee's Phasic Bent Knee stance and long range defense
'Ground and Pound' emphasis for the ground (getting superior position and slug it out using percussive instruments, but using submission holds from judo/jujutsu isn't out of the option
RBSD scenario training~ What's the point in being able to fight but not able to talk your way out of things?

• Crazy Monkey Boxing
  • Judo for Grappling
  • KFM for elbows & headbutts
  • Kyokushin kicks
  • Efficient Trapping

My new updated list~ See? Simplification in progress.

Anyways for today's brainstorm;

Crazy Monkey In-fighting Guard. I've been working on this and found it extremely useful. It has somehow revolutionized my in-fighting game by around 70% more efficient defense, and has vastly improved my offensive abilities now that I have tighter guard.

I also noted that from this guard, a wider range of elbow techniques are available as seen from this Keysi Fighting Method video. I'm starting to fall in love with KFM. I've only heard of it before as the MA used for Batman Begins, but now that I've seen this demonstrations, light bulbs just flickered in my head.

I'm an avid lover of elbow techniques but doing them hasn't been my strength. I think I can now push yet another of my limits.

Here's another thing I'm going to use without hesitation;
Crazy Monkey Boxing clinch

Also note, I'm trying to cut out kicking as much as possible because frankly, I'm trying to speed up process and I'm trying to make things as simple as possible for beginners. Basically, people should be able to train for a couple of days (accumulated training time), and should be decently proficient and confident in their abilities. However, I'm trying to incorporate some of the simpler low kicks such as sidekick, MT roundhouse kick, lead thrust kick, etc etc, as stop-hits against advancing opponents, then I can go into in-fighting phase.

I'm trying to develop a method of trapping where I can deliver maximum damage without having to use too much technique, and being relatively fail-safe.

I still haven't abandoned the principle of 'once caught, you'll be thrown'. I'm trying to find ways to incorporate that with the basic methods of the KFM.

I'm going to check into Paul Vunak's demos and see what he has to offer regarding trapping.

~Donnie

#374708 - 09/15/08 01:22 PM Taison's Journey [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Accronyms
CM - Crazy Monkey Boxing
KFM - Keysi Fighting Method
DB - Dirty Boxing
RAT - Rapid Assault Tactics

Paul Vunak's stuff? I just threw it out of the window. Not that it was useless, just I couldn't find anything which wasn't already in KFM.

I did, however, find some interesting stuff about Jens Pulver.

Dirty Boxing vol. 1 part. 1 Sure I completely ignored to most of his dialogues, but I liked the way he utilized kuzushi in his clinch as openers for striking, and how he said something along the line of;

"When he thinks you're going to wrestle, you create distance and strike him, and when he's about to retaliate you just go back into the clinch and cut off his attack".

Something to reflect on.

Also liked his takedown on 6:50.

I agree with what he says regarding boxing in the MMA scene. Too many guys whom have boxing training, try to act like they're inside the ring and just play things along the rules too much. They try to act all fancy, use footwork and try to create opening for counter-punching. This fails miserably when you're pit against a wrestler. The boxer will be too scared to get up close, the wrestler will be afraid to get up close as well. What happens? The boxer moves away and the wrestler will just shoot from afar. What an idiot, the both of them.

1,2 and then go into a clinch, I'd prefer the one used by Crazy Monkey Boxing, instead of going for the underhook, but underhook is fine.

Also, I noted Jens had the classical boxing guard when he got up close. I'd rather go with the Pensatao, which can be seen from the link. The Pensatao used in conjunction with CM's destructions will make any 'jab happy' bloke regret trying to out-box me.

The Pensatao has become my staple guard in-fighting, as taught by both KFM and Rodney King, I can't believe I've been boxing so long without it. It's just wonderful, pure magic.

Anyway back to DB;

Dirty Boxing vol.1 part.2

I liked the takedowns. I myself ain't much of jiujitsu guy, so going through all that newaza bullocks, just turns me off. I like judo because you set up throws so you don't need to go into all that.

My comment on this video though; on the second part, starting around 7:00, I'd rather go for an osoto-gari or osoto-otoshi in that situation. More bang for the buck. Just more damage if I did that throw than that reap takedown. But it's just me; not everyone's a judo-ka.

Ok, let's move on;

Dirty Boxing vol.1 part.3

Very nice way to get people who leans on you off you, terrific I must say. Never thought of using bumping before. I got to try that now.

I also like he does the snap back for the neck clinch. Awesome, although I'd go into the CM clinch instead. Just a personal preference.

Floyd Mayweather JR Dirty Boxing

I just love this video. Some really nice techniques, but I'd combine more of them with the CM Elevation Drive to create openings for more boxing. Staying in that position for too long would just open yourself up for being clinched, when you should be either clinching or trying to push him away.

It's neat especially the controllong the elbow, hit the rib and go for face shot. The elbow and punch combo is neat too.

The problem however in this video, was as mentioned by Jens in his DB, is that when someone leans on you like that, you can bump them with your shoulder to get them away. So when doing this, unless you're clinched, you will lose contact with them immediately so I'm taking Floyd's advice with a grain of salt. He's after all a boxer, not a MMA'ist. But like I said, if I was the attacker, I'd go for the elevation drive to create space or clinch, if I was the defender, I'd just bump him off me and follow with some really nasty shovel hooks and go for clinch.

Randy Couture explains the single hand collar tie
CM Clinch

The same, just Couture made it a bit more advanced, and I'm liking it. I see lots of opportunities to throw my punch or knees and keep him off balance. Nice, nice.

Here's some food for thought;
You're able to take out your opponent's striking ability if he's a grappler by slapping really hard at the inside of his bicep when he tries to reach for you. When he starts to understand that trying to wrestle you isn't such a good idea, it'll already be too late to use striking. A slap aimed at the bicep, now you've got space to move in for the neck clinch, pull him off balance into the single collartie, unleash a few strikes, and takedown. A sound plan imo.

More following up...

~Taison out

Edited by Taison (09/15/08 01:47 PM)

#374709 - 09/15/08 01:34 PM Re: Taison's Journey [Re: Taison]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Great analysis, Taison. Thanks for the links, I'll be checking into those myself.

#374710 - 09/15/08 01:45 PM Re: Taison's Journey [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

I've got to do kicking some justice as well;

Chasse Bas

Probably one of the few kicking techniques I would ever use nowadays. The rest I don't know why I should continue. Sure my roundhouse is scary but, the chasse bas I don't need shins of steel to make it effective. Plus this is a great stop-hit.

Original Chasse Bas

Chasse Lateral and Chasse Frontal The first combo is neat, a stop hit to the midsection, and then one on the knee. I'd rather do a Chasse Bas on the knee though

I can already imagine an attack plan.

Assume Pensatao. The guy tries to jab me, I just defend myself by moving to the sides while blocking with my elbows to create damage on his hands. When he tries to reach out with his arm to clinch me, I could slap the inside of his arms to create space, go for the single neck-tie, unleash a few strike and chasse bas his leg and follow with a sweep.

Sweet. It's still theory, but I'll make it work one way or another.

This project of mine is getting more interesting by the day!

~Donnie

#374711 - 09/15/08 01:53 PM Re: Taison's Journey [Re: MattJ]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Matt;

I'm just trying to create what Bruce Lee did; Something tailored for me.

I'm just sharing before I forget everything lol.

This is just something I'm going to use later when I start my training group. Already got the location.

I might be going there soon to take some pictures and post it here so everyone can see.

Matt, feel free to add some comments. I'm bored talking to meself here. I'm not a schizophreniac, ok?

What Donnie? Don't talk to Matt? Why? Because he's not safe Taison... What, really Donnie? Yes Taison...

~Donnie
-Taison out
No... Donnie
YES.. Taison out
DONNIE!!!
TAISON!!!! STFU BEFORE I BAN YOU!
~Silence~
Good...

-Taison out

#374712 - 09/15/08 02:04 PM Re: Taison's Journey [Re: Taison]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

My art has slowly drifted away from all asian influences;

- Keysi from England
- Crazy Monkey from South Africa, I think.. bah Brittish!
- Savate from France
- Dirty Boxing from USA
- Roman-Greco wrestling from France

I'm leaning towards being a striker foremost, but grappling will have it's uses later on.

Trying to see where I can fit in some grappling in there, although I'm not a fan of ground-work. Jiujitsu isn't my thing.

~Donnie

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga