FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#374683 - 12/20/07 12:41 AM Back to basic: Taison's journey
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Dear all,

Sorry I haven't been able to talk to you guys for the last couple of weeks, maybe month, because frankly, life has hit me so damn hard, it's keeping me on me knees and won't let me stand up.

Thailand's a bit shaky at the moment, no clear government, inflation, corruption everywhere etc etc.

But the worst news or maybe the best news is that through this last month of not doing anything (because frankly I couldn't even afford a meal at McDonald's, sitting on a bus was a luxury) I've been able to rethink my life a bit.

Since I was a kid, I've always tried my hardest to find the best martial art. But there isn't any. So growing up I found myself literally thrown into some arts like judo, jujutsu, Muay Boran, karate, and I've never been able to stay long enough to become, how do you say? dedicated practitioner.

Sure, when I did Judo, I called myself judo-ka. Nowadays, when people ask I just say "I don't really care, I'll hand you yer arse anyway".

Fast forward to the present time.

My weight has dropped quite a lot, some of my old clothes fit me now. What's the phenomenon. I've lost weight. Not just fat but muscle as well. You can imagine how hard it is to maintain any type of muscle mass when you work hard and under nourished. Before you think I look like some kind of Etiopian, no I don't. I went down from 90kg to somewhere around 82kg.

So what's this topic about?

I've joined a boxing gym and will stay there for a long while. This post will be my daily, or near daily blog about my boxing progression.

Anyway, I'm getting older and in-fighting won't do it anymore. There are kids, twice as fast, twice as strong as me. I might as well throw my gloves at them and grab a chair but heck, I've got to adapt.

So this will be my journey, stay tuned if you want to see what this little Eurasian is doing, and how much he's suffering just for the heck of it.

OUT-BOXING!

-Taison out

#374684 - 12/21/07 11:28 AM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: Taison]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
Thanks Tyson hopefully you'll bring this, my favourite part of the forum a bit more life with your topic

#374685 - 12/21/07 11:39 AM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: Taison]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Tomas. Training has always helped my get through rough times. Keep at it, and I think keeping a journal will help, too.

#374686 - 12/22/07 06:15 PM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: MattJ]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
You said you will be staying there, are you doing it as a career now? If you are I wish you all the best and look forward to reading this thread weekly.

#374687 - 12/23/07 07:22 AM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: Taison]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Oh brother can I relate! I got a new job around 9 months ago. Since then I have been to around 3 martial arts classes!!!

Things have gotten even worse since the run up to Christmas, I just don't have time to myself. I think I got to go to the gym once in the last 10 days. I have lost weight too because I altered my diet as I wasn't training as much, so I didn't feel as hungry or need to eat as much (which was a lot when I was going full throttle!)

Still I shouldn't complain, job is good and they are paying for me to go to college part time. In fact its pretty great that way!

But my lifestyle has changed completely.

As the man once said Taison:

"Tough times don't last... tough people do."

Am sure with all your experience you will do well now with boxing. Let us know how it goes!

#374688 - 12/23/07 10:13 PM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: Prizewriter]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Well merry christmas you cheerful blokes!

I've changed my diet quite a lot this last few weeks. I've avoided rice (which is extremely hard in this culture as all dishes are made based on rice), so my daily intake of carbs comes from noodles.

For example, yesterday, I woke up at 11:30, I had Pad Thai (Thai fried noodles) for lunch, and for dinner I had two spoonful of rice, with teriyaki chicken.

I try to maintain a steady supply of water and protein but try to cut down on the excess amount of carb. Carb for lunch is ok, but dinner, only two spoonful. That's the minimum I can go, or I'll wake up in the morn with a headache.

In the last two weeks I've gone from 88 to 82kg, so my goal of reaching 75 isn't too impossible, in fact it may be doable.

I've been working on jabs and crosses most of the time, totally ignoring my shovel hooks and hooks, opting to stay on my toes and dancing around the center of the ring instead of being in the middle and pushing towards my opponent. I thought 12 rounds before was doable, now, 5 rounds if friggin' impossible. I need to do more marathon running or something.

It's a pain really. I can't throw many multiple shots anymore. Usually it's 1-2-3 and then I've got to move out again, or these kids just clobber me with a dozen hits. I'm lucky if I can land any of those 3 hits.

Oh well, at least I'm trying.

-Taison out

#374689 - 12/24/07 04:19 AM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: Taison]
grumbleweed Offline

pad thai yummy. i love hoi tort they cook/serve at the same cart where you buy pad thai.

#374690 - 05/11/08 01:53 AM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: grumbleweed]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Taison's reporting back his progress;

Current Weight; 77kg
Height; 168cm ish

Woohoo! Weight gone down, and I've somehow grown half a centimetre (??)

After doing the whole outboxing thing i've discovered 2 things;

1) You need a hell of a lot of stamina
2) I'm not enjoying it much

So I decided to change my routine around a month or two back.

Instead of long-distance jogging, I've changed to short distance sprinting (my dog's enjoying it) and heavier weights training.

At first it was hard, but I am able now to go back toe-to-toe again in-fighting my way through the rounds. True 5 rounds is do-able, but damn, it's hard.

Another change is that I've totally dig my left lead hook now. It's THE most powerful weapon in my arsenal at this moment. I'm doing things Rocky Balboa this time around, lots and lots of body shots in order to get that opening for a face shot with my lead hook.

So the things I've changed is;

1) Heavier emphasis on my left hand
2) In-fighting in orthodox (Totally new for me)
3) Training emphasis on body shots
4) Clinching emphasis

I have carved quite a name for myself in the gym for using out-boxing (Annoying red-haired b@stard who won't go toe-to-toe) and I just surprised people by evading them and then just going berserk on them. I haven't unloaded a barrage of body shots since back in 2005 and being able to do that again is just a fantastic feeling.

However, I need to work on a new guard. The normal guard isn't quite working in close range. I'm finding myself hit quite often when I try to use my rear hand. I'm going to experiment with peek-a-boo.

Stay tuned!

-Taison out

#374691 - 05/11/08 10:46 AM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: Taison]
shills11 Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
"peek-a-boo"

Keeping it old school I see!
I too think my lead hook is one of my more powerfull weapons and like to use 3-3-2 or 3-2-3 combos but I'm sure this baffles some guys as I'm very tall and should really be using my reach advantage BUT as you say nothing is quite as satisfying as landing a body head combination. Peek a boo can be quite heavy on the legs and I find this quite difficult to adapt to as I'm sure you will from the Muay Thai as if I leave my left leg too heavy I just get murdered with low leg kicks

#374692 - 05/12/08 05:04 AM Re: Back to basic: Taison's journey [Re: shills11]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Yes,

I rarely look on more modern boxers for techniques, the 50's are more inspiring but I got to admit that Lewis is a sight.

Now for lead hooks;

My combos consists of feints; lots and lots of feints.

1; jab
2; cross
3; lead hook
4; rear hook

3, feint3, 2
1, feint2, 3
feint2, 3, feint3, 2
feint2, 3, 3

Are some of my more common combos I use.

Currently I'm doing Queensbury boxing, but these techniques are easily transfered to kickboxing I've discovered. Just throw in kicks instead of feints a few times and it'll drive your opponent psycho.

It's all about psyching and harrassing.

Peekaboo, seriously, seems to be effective in Queensbury boxing but lacks A LOT in kickboxing. Lead leg exposed with too much weight on it. I wish it would translate as well as flicker does (Hanmi stance in Karate term).

-Taison out

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga