FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#373390 - 12/10/07 04:48 PM Re: Latest round of whining [Re: MattJ]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Griff, Thanks for the video. That really helps! It's always easier to see what you mean when there is a visual to go with it.

Quote:

I'm not sure how you can teach students to do something you yourself aren't capable of.

Simple, I don't teach what I don't know, I leave that for my instructor. When asked questions I don't know the answer for, I ask my instructor, research it in the encyclopedia or on the web, or discuss it with other people who have demonstrated knowledge in that area.

Laura

#373391 - 12/11/07 02:02 PM Re: Latest round of whining [Re: tkd_high_green]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
TEAM FORMS:

I can't really comment too much as I don't know this form being from a WTF background. Some of the hand movements could have been stronger. From my own training in WTF patterns and looking at the others it appeared that you should have been more square to your target at times in the pattern and when punching to your centre it should be to your solarplex whereas yours was not. Positive feedback, there was some good intensity doing many of your moves.

SPARRING:

I understand that ITF uses a lot of front roundhouse kicks but the few rear roundhouse kicks it looked more like you were just throwing out your leg and not starting or finishing the technique. Things to me looked too clumsy and perhaps this is because the two of you spar a lot together. Also it may be because of the point sparring system of the ITF that your school system follows. I didn't see any speed by either of you and you just stood toe to toe never creating space to defend in or cutting down space to attack. Your opponent continually threw out front kicks that you stood there and took when you should have been shooting back or stepping off to the side to avoid. Both of you spent too much time stalking each other in circles and were very predictable; but again this may be due to you always train together, I would be interested to see you go up against somebody that you have never sparred with to get a better idea of what you would do. I also didn't see much for leg kicks, it was always the same stuff; front roundhouse kicks. No faking was ever done nor were there back kicks or cut kicks or ax kicks or any other kicks that I've seen both in good WTF and ITF sparring matches. Some block and punching were attempted at some points but not when it would really have mattered and not to the full extent that they could have been used to offset your opponent and leaving room for you to counter attack. Sparring I found too one dimensional, slow and predictable.

I personal give you credit for going out and doing this stuff, many people would rather do nothing. I also give you credit for putting your videos up here for people to view; knowing that there will be negative feedback says you have tough skin or you are wanting to learn ... or you weren't expecting it.

I personally find sparring in TKD difficult as I can see things and I know I want to do things but I can't get my body and mind to work as one. I've had very few sparring sessions that I came out thinking ... yes ... that was great. I need a lot of work and know places where I need to work on in my game. I hope that you see this as well and why you are putting these up here so that you can improve. With that said, I feel more comfortable grappling then sparring TKD or even sparring where stand-up to take-down is involved; it just is more realistic and seems to flow better for me and my mind and body can work together better.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga