FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#372356 - 12/13/07 10:19 AM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: ITFunity]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

I'm curious. I always learned to kihap at the end of a pattern but later I saw some ITF guys who always called out the name of the pattern at the end.

The ITF requires one to finish the last kove, then state the name of the Tul. Each one of the movements (970, with KoDang 1009) in the patterns, are to be performed with realism & maximum power. The idea of saving a KiHap to the end for the killer blow goes against a goal of ITF TKD. We are also required to exhale briefly, from the lower abdomen, with each movement, with the exception of a connecting motion. The exhale does not need or requre a hiss or loud noise, but rather, to come from deep, not the mouth.

Our school has always used the kihap in the patterns, but again we are not an "Official" ITF school, being members of the AAU we are actually closer to being WTF except for the patterns. With that being said, at the seminar I recently attended with Master Rai of ITF-C, As directed by GM Choi, they have begun to re-introduce kihaps to the patterns. He told us that the General was actually very much in favor of the kihap until practioners started doing their Bruce Lee imitations rather than a real kihap from the belly.

VDJ

#372357 - 12/13/07 04:03 PM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: trevek]
EarlWeiss Offline

>>>Correct me if I'm wrong, but having 3200 fundamental movements is not keeping things simple. Thats a bit excessive.<<<

Depends on your point of view. There was a good article in the Dec. Black Belt Mag I think. The point of the article is that training in a martial art is about more than doing only what is simple or neccessary.

Doing only what is simple or neccesary may be a very effective self defense strategy. However, this will quickly get mundane and you will lose interest. Now, trying to excel thru exceedingly difficult training and trying to accomplish or perform beyond the ordinary is what makes for a fascinating activity.

#372358 - 12/13/07 04:05 PM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: trevek]
EarlWeiss Offline

>>>The idea of saving a KiHap to the end for the killer blow goes against a goal of ITF TKD. <<<

UNITY-- Please elaborate.

#372359 - 12/13/07 04:12 PM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: trevek]
EarlWeiss Offline

>>>I'm going to assume that the all seeing general "founder" of Taekwon-Do also took the liberty to have his students interpret the patterns functionality as well right? ^^<<<

For those who do not take note that the comment is tongue in cheek, to have the work as suggested would take a huge amount of time and material as well as being duplicitous. The 4 CD set already contains the 15 volume encyclopedia with examples of applications for the moves.

>>>To record the patterns without the applications would be a disservice. Leaving each pattern open to interpretation and scrutiny which would only add to the chaos in which the ITF is trying to eradicate by standardizing its global curriculum.<<<

The applications are ":recorded" albeit in a photo rather than a video format.

>>>Furthermore if this set is "The set to have for any serious TKD practitioner" it would go without saying that it would be a complete package of the Generals and his top instructors work regarding both forms and content rather than just aesthetic purposes. <<<

Since the set also contains the text it is much more than esthetics. The videos are not intended to be a complete work. No one claims they are. In fact, far from it since the video only addresses pattern which is but one part of the system.

#372360 - 12/13/07 04:15 PM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: EarlWeiss]
EarlWeiss Offline

>>>I recently attended with Master Rai of ITF-C, As directed by GM Choi, they have begun to re-introduce kihaps to the patterns.<<<

It seems the Son's group, or the son himself is putting his own stamp on the system.

Ity seesm they have also changed 2 moves in Ju Che http://www.tkd.co.uk/Patterns/Juche.htm

#372361 - 12/15/07 02:34 PM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: EarlWeiss]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

>>>The idea of saving a KiHap to the end for the killer blow goes against a goal of ITF TKD. <<<

UNITY-- Please elaborate.

This comes from Mr. Anslow. I think there is a section in his book that deals with this. KiHaps are somewhat in the relam of the meta physical & as such, it is guessed that since it did not have a sound scientific basis, it was eliminated. Now others can correct me if I am wrong, but in some types of Karate, isn't the KiHap added for additional strength or power? In the ITF, we don't wait till the end of a Tul do deliver more power, as maximum power is to be utilized for all the movements. JMHO

#372362 - 12/16/07 07:45 AM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: ITFunity]
EarlWeiss Offline

I agree and disagree . We have some "Soft" moves in the Chang Hon system such as Hooking Block, Pressing block etc. where the Kihap for power theory would not be applicable. Perhaps this would make an interesting thread, but IMO the Kihap or yell serves three possible purposes. 1. To generate a startle reflex in the opponent 2. To help tense your Diaphram in order to prepare it against a counter attack, 3. To facilitate in contracting the diaphram in concert with the contraction of other muscles to create the power thru a coordination of the musculature used to generate power. Only #3 is the same used for most other techniques accomplished thru the coordinated exhalation with the exertion.

#372363 - 12/16/07 10:40 PM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: EarlWeiss]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I broke down and purchased the encyclopedia and dvd's last year. From my own opinion, I felt the encyclopedia was well worth the purchase as a reference, It's much easier to transport than 15 volumes of encyclopedia, but the dvd's were not. There are just as many good examples of each of the patterns available on youtube, that it's just not worth spending the money on.

As far as the kihap, my school just uses the kihap at the end, but I know schools that say the pattern name at the beginning and at the end of the pattern. Frankly, it's more likely just for ensuring that the student knows the name of the pattern.

Laura

#372364 - 12/17/07 01:50 PM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: EarlWeiss]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I agree and disagree . We have some "Soft" moves in the Chang Hon system such as Hooking Block, Pressing block etc. where the Kihap for power theory would not be applicable. Perhaps this would make an interesting thread, but IMO the Kihap or yell serves three possible purposes. 1. To generate a startle reflex in the opponent 2. To help tense your Diaphram in order to prepare it against a counter attack, 3. To facilitate in contracting the diaphram in concert with the contraction of other muscles to create the power thru a coordination of the musculature used to generate power. Only #3 is the same used for most other techniques accomplished thru the coordinated exhalation with the exertion.

Yes Sir, I do agree. I was leaving out the exceptions like the palm hooking blocks & slow motion etc, as I did not want the discussion to get to esoteric by us ITF types!

#372365 - 12/17/07 01:53 PM Re: TKD-Skippi's amalgamated patterns [Re: tkd_high_green]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I broke down and purchased the encyclopedia and dvd's last year. From my own opinion, I felt the encyclopedia was well worth the purchase as a reference, It's much easier to transport than 15 volumes of encyclopedia, but the dvd's were not. There are just as many good examples of each of the patterns available on youtube, that it's just not worth spending the money on.
Laura

Side issue here:
I am gathering you purchased the "CONDENSED" version of the 15 volumes? If so, then yes it is easier to carry, but is not IMHO a substitiute for the full 15 volumes.
In addition, the CD Rom version is from the 1st edition of the 15 volumes, dated 1983, which is as you can see, somewhat outdated. JMHO

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga