FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 3
cxt 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35570 Topics
432472 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#371496 - 12/19/07 12:31 PM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: UKfightfreak]
BodhiHuss Offline

Loc: Greenville, SC, USA
Quote:

Quote:

I think its more like a checkpoint thing. Achieving a split, gives you more hope to become an even better martial artist. Its definately a goal to most martial artists out there.

Why?

It doesn't have any functional use for kicking, so why bother?

Little girls who have never been in a Martial arts class can do the splits - do you think this gives them more hope of being a better Martial Artist?

Funny there is such a prize on it, when its so easy to achieve when you train correctly.

This is an excellent post. Why is it being ignored? Splits are silly. There are no plans for Gymkata II, so stop practicing for it.

Quote:

There is some martial benefit to increased flexibility and also the COOL factor.

A ridiculous statement if I've ever heard one. How the hell does the "cool factor" make you a better martial artist?

#371497 - 12/19/07 01:34 PM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: BodhiHuss]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Guys, while I am not hell-bent on the idea of being able to do the splits, it can have an effect on your martial arts. Being flexible will help to prevent injury in training (allowing you to do more) and also in fighting. In grappling especially, having good leg and back flex can allow you to escape positions and/or avoid submissions.

Not a worthless endeavour at all.

#371498 - 12/19/07 02:10 PM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: MattJ]
BodhiHuss Offline

Quote:

Guys, while I am not hell-bent on the idea of being able to do the splits, it can have an effect on your martial arts. Being flexible will help to prevent injury in training (allowing you to do more) and also in fighting. In grappling especially, having good leg and back flex can allow you to escape positions and/or avoid submissions.

Not a worthless endeavour at all.

Is this really so practical and useful that you would dedicate time training it? True, it may be somewhat useful in certain situations, but so are many other physical movements and abilities. That doesn't mean that I want to take time out of my punching/kicking/blocking/grappling practice to try to perfect something that will most likely not be used in a real situation. It's just not smart or efficient training.

I think overall flexibility is important, but to set a goal like doing a split or kicking over your head is a bit extreme and quite unnecessary. I only know one good martial artist who can do a full split. Of course, he is a freak of nature with a lot of natural flexibility.

Of course, if you are about to get electrocuted and you can jump up on a kitchen counter in a full split to avoid it, then it may be useful. (Sorry for the sarcasm. I was changing channels the other day and accidentally watched a few minutes of Time Cop .)

#371499 - 12/19/07 02:16 PM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: BodhiHuss]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

Is this really so practical and useful that you would dedicate time training it?

Absolutely. I do Pilates, and also lift weights for strength training. Having good physical attributes isn't going to be a substitute for skill, but it doesn't hurt, either.

#371500 - 12/19/07 03:18 PM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: MattJ]
BodhiHuss Offline

Again, I'm not talking about overall flexibity and physical strength. I myself lift weights several times a week and stretch everyday--I'm pretty flexible, but I still cannot do a full split. What I think is a waste of time is the amount of flexibility training you would have to do to accomplish a full split. If I have been stretching regularly for the past 20 years and I still cannot do it, it must take quite a bit of conditioning or natural ability to get to that point. How much stretching practice would it take for an average person to be able to do a split? Is it worth spending all that time on a skill with so few applications?

Quote:

Having good physical attributes isn't going to be a substitute for skill, but it doesn't hurt, either.

It hurts you if you are substituting stretching for martial training. Unless you are a monk or independently wealthy, we all have to manage our time in the real world. Spending valuable training time simply to be able to do a split would be foolish, in my opinion. If you are doing it to look cool, please don't pretend that it is a valuable skill applicable to the martial arts. It is not.

Overall flexibility is important, but doing a full split is a little too extreme to be practical. I say stretch everyday, but don't place importance on the split. Focus on a good, well rounded stretching routine that benefits the entire body. Isn't that what Pilates does?

#371501 - 12/19/07 03:38 PM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: BodhiHuss]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

It hurts you if you are substituting stretching for martial training.

I guess this is where we differ. You could make the same case for strength training. IMHO, there needs to be training time for skill and attributes. One without the other will be limiting to the student.

#371502 - 12/19/07 07:11 PM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: MattJ]
WhiteDragon11 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida, United States
I got to agree with Matt here. A lot of times when you focus on skill, you have to focus on the attributes required to become skilled. Sorry for bringing up actors, but look at Tony Jaa, Chan, and Jet Li. They are the martial artists that everyone looks up to. I doubt they could just do a split with no training. They focused on it, until they got it.
You could say skill is a collection of attributes.

#371503 - 12/20/07 04:02 AM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: WhiteDragon11]
General_Neo Offline

I know i dont say much but i have to agree with Matt and White Dragon on this one.
Skill can get you a long way, but skill and attributes can get you further!

Take care everyone,
Neo

#371504 - 12/20/07 06:39 AM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: General_Neo]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I'm not focusing on achieving the side split as such, but I am stretching the muscles required to reach that goal. If I happen to reach a split when stretching, so be it. I understand that it won't automatically make me a better martial artist, but I do it anyway because I like being flexible.

I have found that the stretch improves more than just kicking height, however. The more flexible I am, the more effective I find strength training for those muscles, allowing a wider range of motion under load. A little extra focus on stretching the thighs has improved my rooting (and therefore overall power) immensely.

I suppose that's just restating that proficiency in the martial arts requires a unity of skills, rather than complete focus on one subset.

War. It's fan-tastic!

#371505 - 12/21/07 10:42 AM Re: How Close to the Side Splits are You? [Re: BodhiHuss]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
A ridiculous statement if I've ever heard one. How the hell does the "cool factor" make you a better martial artist?

The COOL Factor doesn't make you a better martial artist, it just makes you cool. I think you misread my earlier statement. Flexibility does make you a better martial artist because it gives you more options (of movement.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga