FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#370753 - 01/17/08 10:19 PM Re: Stationary training [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

isn't it just that simple, and all the rest of the language and visualizations used for such an exercise just creating layers around that simplicity?

Even though I know nothing, compared to BP, I second what BP said... if ONLY it were THAT simple....

Quote:

you assume that anyone who didn't/doesn't drink from your same cup, hasn't had anything good to drink.

whereas, what may really be going on is that it's you who have limited your range by thinking there is only one way: the way you learned.

Perhaps, it's not the cup, but what you THINK you're both drinking - it's not the same thing. As far as there being only one way - true, there are many ways and many variations of the same basic principles, including the language used to describe it. So far, the language you're using doesn't even remotely conform to even my limited understanding of what is going on, what is being trained and how to train it. So I'm not entirely sure that you understand what you think you know about it.

For starters, when in stationary stance, what are you specifically training? What things are you doing in that regard? What are you doing with your breath, and breath pressure? Where are you directing gravity and ground force to? What are the 6 cardinal directions and why are they important? What is being trained here? What is opening and closing? What is the function of the "kua"/pelvic girdle? How does stationary training develop power generation? From where is power generated?

So, is it as simple as letting your body self-adjust following muscle fatigue and failure? Just some things for you to think about... and these are just the basic questions for you to start with...

Edited by eyrie (01/17/08 10:23 PM)

#370754 - 01/18/08 01:52 AM Re: Stationary training [Re: eyrie]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I don't suppose you'd know the difference of isometrics to IMA stationary training.

good basic IMA questions though, maybe someone will address them for you....because I'm sure you won't answer your own questions.

anyway - what are the technical goals for stationary training? Doesn't it ultimitely come down to assist-training towards absorbing instant efficient structure at any given time?

#370755 - 01/18/08 06:07 AM Re: Stationary training [Re: eyrie]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

Even though I know nothing, compared to BP,

Please, Eyrie, I blush easily

#370756 - 01/18/08 05:26 PM Re: Stationary training [Re: Ed_Morris]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
In my (fairly limited) exposure to this kind of training, I think the visualizations and image repititions make a huge difference, I can't explain why but they do.

You could just stand in a neutral posture, but it doesn't become conditioning that will change your body until you add in the visualizations and the image-concept things.

I haven't been doing this type of thing that long, but the image stuff has made a huge difference in my Karate.

Also from what i've seen while the external training methods are different, it seems like for the most part the visualization techniques and concepts seem to be common from art to art.

EDIT: Just remembered there is a conversation going on on e-budo on this subject:
http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38747

Edited by Zach_Zinn (01/18/08 05:30 PM)

#370757 - 01/18/08 08:18 PM Re: Stationary training [Re: Zach_Zinn]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

I look at visualizations and imagery as a mind/intent training device. There is nothing old or new about this type of training - high performance athletes and sports people, self-help and motivational coaches use it all the time - BUT, not in the same way as how or what it is used in IMA training.

Different visualizations work for different people, but the purpose is the same. The questions one should be asking are what is the purpose? What is the mind/intent actively (consciously/sub-consciously) doing?

#370758 - 01/18/08 11:28 PM Re: Stationary training [Re: eyrie]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
What does it actually do I don't know, honestly in MA terms it all seems so...anachronistic anyway. I suppose you could simply subsribe to the notion that you are directing internal forces to do external things, but honestly that answer seems to fall short of the mark for me.

For my own part I don't doubt there is some explanation in physics of what people with "bodyskills" can do, training it seems to require one to use this imagery and such to acheive the results regardless.

Check out the e-budo thread, one of the themes there is that these skills are not neccessarily art-specific, but rather can and are found in a variety of martial arts.

Personally i'm just happy that i've been shown a bit of this stuff and that it's really giving me a different perspective on what I do.

Why do you think it works?

#370759 - 01/18/08 11:58 PM Re: Stationary training [Re: Zach_Zinn]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Quote:

Why do you think it works?

Why do you have a penile erection when you THINK or VISUALISE something sexy?

#370760 - 01/19/08 01:36 AM Re: Stationary training [Re: ButterflyPalm]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Uh... it doesn't have to be sexy (by some accepted mainstream definition), nor do I have to think or visualize it to have a "spontaneous" response. In fact, I'm having one right now...

BTW, Zach, I have followed that thread with interest. I am familiar with Dan and where he's coming from. Sure, the bodyskills are found in a cross-section of asian MAs, and I would qualify, TO VARYING DEGREES.

And considering the veil of secrecy surrounding the development of such bodyskills, the questions you have to ask yourself are - Am I getting the full picture? And does my teacher have the full picture? If so, am I still getting the full picture? If not, why not? If you take stock of what Dan is saying, the answer is a flat "no" to the above. So, I find it quite ludicrous for some people to THINK that they already "do" this or "know" this, to come on here and denigrate the few that have a little bit more experience in this.... not that I have any experience or knowledge myself.

#370761 - 01/19/08 07:57 AM Re: Stationary training [Re: eyrie]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

The point (no pun) I was trying to make in answer to Zach is, WHAT and HOW you visualise will have a subtle and definitive response on and in your body. AND when this form of visualisation is done or coupled with the body being HELD in a specific structure, with just the required amount of tension on different parts of the body in different postures, the "circuit" is complete and the MIND and the BODY will begin to instantly respond to each others SIGNALS; THAT's WHEN the chi will start to flow CONSCIOUSLY because by now your body is, to put it simply, IN TUNE with the thoughts happening in your mind. From here on it's a matter of amplification and magnification.

That is STEP ONE.

#370762 - 01/19/08 02:50 PM Re: Stationary training [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

what do you personally visualize when doing stationary training? ...or maybe I wouldn't want to know.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga