FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#370604 - 04/03/08 12:20 PM Re: What is life about? [Re: Stormdragon]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

As this is fast turning into a soundbyte fest:

" To be an individual and to be yourself you don't have to do a thing. Culture demands that you should be something other than what you are. What a tremendous amount of energy -- the will, the effort -- we waste trying to become that! If that energy is released, what is it that we can't do? How simple it would be for every one of us to live in this world! "

" Whatever pursuit you are indulging in, somewhere along the line it has to dawn on you that it is not leading you anywhere. As long as you want something, you will do that. That want has to be very, very clear. What do you want? All the time I ask you the question, "What do you want?" You say, "I want to be at peace with myself." That is an impossible goal for you because everything you are doing to be at peace with yourself is what is destroying the peace that is already there. You have set in motion the movement of thought which is destroying the peace that is there, you see. It is very difficult to understand that all that you are doing is the impediment, is the one thing that is disturbing the harmony, the peace that is already there. "

" Food, clothing and shelter- these are the basic needs. Beyond that, if you want anything, it is the beginning of self-deception"

" We are not created for any grander purpose than the ants that are there or the flies that are hovering around us or the mosquitoes that are sucking our blood. "

" No talent is required to reproduce. Nature has done a tremendous job in creating this extraordinary piece - the body. The body does not want to learn anything from culture. It doesn't want to know anything from us. We are always interested in telling this body how to function. All our experiences, spiritual or otherwise, are the basic cause of our suffering. The body is not interested in your bliss or your ecstasies. It is not interested in your pleasure. It is not in interested in anything that you are interested in. And that is the battle that is going on all the time. But there seems to be no way out. "

UG Krishnamurti

#370605 - 04/03/08 11:18 PM Re: What is life about? [Re: Prizewriter]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
That's some good stuff right there. Nuff said...except that, from what I know, we are largely who we are due to experiences so it seems there is not really a "you" that before culture and "you" after. Just an ever evolving individual. We absolutely have a few personality predispositions though.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#370606 - 04/04/08 08:36 PM Re: What is life about? [Re: Stormdragon]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
I agree that we have some genetic behavioural traits. We also have a default state of mind and body that is beautifully adapted to deal with the present. I'm pretty sure, - well, I heard on a documentary recently so i'm not that sure - that it comes from our evolutionary biology. In prehistoric times, life was so uncertain that mostly this present awareness was used. If you're distracted by thoughts, then your were more likely to be prey than if you were always focused on what is happening around you. Of course, certain emotions are part of our biology, such as the fight or flight, or fear response. The trouble is that nowadays, people seem to overstimulate the nervous system in everyday situations. You may fall in front of people and merely get embarrassed, but your body reacts like, "RUN OR DIE!!"
This seems a bit off topic, but my point is - in accordance with the above few posts, which were brilliant by the way - that we all have a default state of mind that simply observes the environment. This mind is peaceful. But we also have the emotions, which cause a physiological response that blinds us to the world.

I especially liked this bit of Stormdragon's teacher's drunken speech, "I believe that life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think." This suggests that those who feel (an emotional response) are somehow less happy than people who see the world through eyes of logic.

Before I finish, I want to repeat that I heard the science part on a National Geographic documentary, which I feel are sometimes biased. But it does seem to make sense.

I'd also love to change my forum signature to that quote.

Mark

#370607 - 02/02/09 07:55 PM Re: What is life about? [Re: jkdwarrior]
Landus Offline

Loc: UK
I have recently got an idea that life is possibly about going to space (this sounds lame so far) and finding something else. Space is infinite? maybe life is about infinity? never knowing. Infinity creates a desire to see if infinity does indeed extend for an infinite amount of time or space. Literally, does space end, or does it go on forever? forever would suggest time?

However, this world and its culture has been diseased (possibly by media) and society is on strings, everyone is looking at everyone else "why are you looking at me?". This could just be UK culture/society.

Further yet, despite the fact our Earth could be so advanced, united and wise, it's not. There happens to be a very world impacting damage to Earth every so often. World War 1, 2. The Plague. Life grows, and is restricted again. Will the Earth ever become overflowing with people- will they then find a place on the Moon? This could happen in our life time, yet it most likely won't on a large scale due to all the damage done by conflict and not uniting.

Maybe life is about knowledge, advancing our minds and bodies to become- something more. Apparently there are some 20 dimensions, and yet the human mind simply fails to understand them. We know the title of the book but we can't even open it, we don't even know the blurb.

Maybe this is a question, Mattj, that we can't even begin to answer, can't even begin to COMPREHEND yet.

Maybe we are not destined for knowing, but just breeding so that we can be the ancestors of people that have a chance of knowing such things.

#370608 - 03/28/09 11:30 AM Re: What is life about? [Re: Landus]
formless Offline

Not sure what all of you think, i try to live my life so at the end of it, i can assure myself that at least one person was able to breathe easier because of my existence. I feel that helping others is the highest calling.

#370609 - 03/29/09 12:17 AM Re: What is life about? [Re: MattJ]
karl314285 Offline

Loc: The Matrix, Serif is Teacher
Hi,

just my orientation...The Buddhists would say 'to recognize life is suffering....blah,blah,blah"

The Zen Buddhists would "probably" not answer, if so probably to smack you with a Koan or a stick as tho to say "Life is fleeting and all you have is now, dont ask the unanswerable...go back and just sit."

I Kinda dig that

-Karl. Peace. (Not that I get flush being hit or anything like that...)

#370610 - 03/29/09 08:42 PM Re: What is life about? [Re: karl314285]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Hmmm... it's rather odd to see a dead thread resurrected, especially considering the topic.

There is no right or wrong answer... life is what YOU make of it... and then you die. So, perhaps this thread should follow the natural course of its life and

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga