FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#370474 - 11/20/07 01:03 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: harlan]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I didn't see this post Harlan when I did my last so I will answer this now.

Quote:

Then, of course you probably agree that the standards should remain the same...regardless of age? That an officer that doesn't maintain that standard throughout his career...should be mustered out? Or does he get to rest on his laurels with a cushy day desk assignment?

In this example, and for many things ... we must not forget that time and experience counts for a lot. For example a world class athlete can no longer perform at the levels they once had but now they have taken it upon themselves to train others to become world class athletes. Their experience helps the next generation ... and so on ... and so on.

Those people who obtain positions or rankings may not be able to perform at the standards that they once were able but their experience and knowledge is invaluable. For my earlier example of the doctor who gets in an accident but can no longer perform at the quality he/she did ... their knowledge would be invaluable for future generations.

By lowering standards how can these people pass on knowledge to better society? All that does is "dumb down" things as standards will be lowered again and again. Then you have a watered down version ... and we already complain about the poor quality of martial art schools. Lower standards does not work and should be avoided. In fact I think standards should always be raised making it even harder so that only the best can obtain them.

#370475 - 11/20/07 01:11 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: harlan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Then, of course you probably agree that the standards should remain the same...regardless of age? That an officer that doesn't maintain that standard throughout his career...should be mustered out? Or does he get to rest on his laurels with a cushy day desk assignment?

Different argument, IMHO. We are talking about achieving standards, not maintaining them once achieved. No one can maintain things indefinitely.

#370476 - 11/20/07 01:14 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: MattJ]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
So, Dereck...the assumption then is that those that attain belts will pass along the art...will go on to teach?

And Matt...a teacher doesn't have to be able 'to do' at a certain point?

#370477 - 11/20/07 01:24 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: harlan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

And Matt...a teacher doesn't have to be able 'to do' at a certain point?

I don't think I said that. They would have had "to do" as they came up the ranks. Are you asking if I expect an 80 y/o to be able to (still?) do a jump-spinning back kick?

#370478 - 11/20/07 01:28 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: MattJ]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Yes...that is what I'm asking. After all...the standards shouldn't be lowered...should they?

I think that 'idealistically' one would like to see standards...it makes life a lot easier. In reality...how does one compare apples and oranges? Different arts, different people with different skills and abilities? If one wants their art to be accessible, then a range of standards has to be implemented to be inclusive of all practioners at the varying stages of their lives.

#370479 - 11/20/07 01:53 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: harlan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

If one wants their art to be accessible, then a range of standards has to be implemented to be inclusive of all practioners at the varying stages of their lives.

I don't agree. Does everyone have to be a black belt to have an accessible art? *I* may never get to black belt in BJJ, but that doesn't stop me from studying it.

#370480 - 11/20/07 01:56 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: harlan]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

So, Dereck...the assumption then is that those that attain belts will pass along the art...will go on to teach?

No, that is certainly not what I'm saying. Here is what I have found. Those that obtain high rankings that still train have valuable knowledge and whether teaching or not they do pass on that knowledge. I cannot tell you how many people I have gained knowledge from that were not teachers. Now a person that obtains a high rank and then quits ... well they start to lose that knowledge. I don't suspect this person will be teaching anything valuable unless they re-educate them self.

I was a carpenter at one time for many years; my father owned his own business. I haven't done this for 20 years and though I "was" a carpenter and still retain a fair bit of knowledge, I am not one now. But if I wanted to take that up again, it would be easier for me to relearn it then somebody learning from scratch. People "were" black belts but if they give it up they have earned that ranking at one point in their lives but does not make them one today.

#370481 - 11/20/07 01:56 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: MattJ]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Matt, that seems sensible to me. But from what I've read on the boards, it seems that schools that have rank seem to hold back students that want to learn until they rank, or they will have to have 2 sets of standards.

Edited by harlan (11/20/07 02:03 PM)

#370482 - 11/20/07 02:02 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: harlan]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Excellent point Matt. I too will probably never obtain a black belt in BJJ but I will most certainly work towards it and enjoy my training while still gaining valuable knowledge during the process.

Harlan, organizations that do have double standards we've seen overtime become watered down version and then they give martial arts a black eye.

I am going to pose a question to the people of this thread, and please forgive me a head of time as I am not trying to demean anybody. If standards are lowered for a challenged person and they award this person a black belt, would you seek out this individual to train you or would you seek out an individual that has higher standards?

#370483 - 11/20/07 02:06 PM Re: Who earns black belts? [Re: Dereck]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

The day I showed up to learn kobudo, I only asked two questions: what do I call you and what do you expect of me? It never occurred to me to ask 'what belt are you'? It was irrelevant to me...and that is why I'm where I'm at...in a situation where belts aren't a principle part of training. I consider my standards to be very high...the one requirement I had when seeking out a teacher was: integrity.

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga